Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
"Brian Orser surprised with how strong Hanyu was in practice today; he arrived day late after being held up in immigration in Toronto #SA2012"
[/url]

Surreal... Hanyu, bring your Romeo and Juliet FS DVD next time you travel to show the custom people, everything else is just waste of time. Maybe they were too focused on the Pooh bear in your backpack.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I must say that Yuzu's FS in Skate America made me quite worried. Not because he fell some of his jumps, that happens to everyone once in a while, but because he was so tired he didn't even try to perform his program well in the latter half of the FS, and just gave up and skated it through without a hint of passion. That was horrible to watch. :no:

Makes me wonder why he was indeed so tired - of course skating two difficult programmes in two days is hard, but he did it in Finlandia Trophy, so why not in Skate America? I sincerely hope it's nothing more serious than being worn out after a superb SP. If it's because of his asthma getting worse or his injured ankle not healing well enough, then he - and we the fans - is in trouble. Now it's time for Brian Orser to be a good coach and find out what's the reason for this mess and do something about it.

At Finlandia, he was almost clean on the jumps and he was still flat on the ice gasping for air at the end. It's not really a surprise to see him crumble :)cry:) throughout the FS if he falls on both quads. Falling can take a lot of energy out of person and it doesn't help that he has stamina issues. I hope his team adds more breather periods for him in his FS or tweaks something in it b/c he obviously has stamina issues, and I think his FS does a better job of showcasing it than hiding it. I don't remember Hanyu being as exhausted after his FS last year even in the beginning of the year, but I guess it is better to get use to the 2 quad program now than next year.

On a lighter note, someone is definitely regretting his FS performance. Even during gala practice :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovj2mint1WA

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't remember Hanyu being as exhausted after his FS last year even in the beginning of the year
It might be because of 4S. Yuzu doesn't have a quad combo, and he can't do two 4T due to the rules. Still seeing how he can land 4T I am sure it could be easier for him to add 2T to it and get a combo then trying to land a different quad- 4S, which is actually a cheaper rewarded than a combo 4T-2T.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
After seeing him live at Skate America with a new respect for Yuzuru. His SP was MINDBLOWING. He deserved his score -- if anything Kozuka was underscored, not that Yuzuru was overscored. And though the FS did not go as well, Yuzuru did not give up and kept it going until he could not do any more. That "lack of passion" at the end was really that he was just plain tired. Consider that despite falling three times, he still did five triples and two of those were a 3A-3T in the second half of the program. Despite all the mistakes he still scored 72.11 in TES, which put him third among all the men..

Anyway, I wanted to note this tidbit I mentioned in the Skate America thread -- I did get to talk to Brian Orser by chance at the hotel bar (we were sitting next to each other). I congratulated him for a good night (this was after the SP) and I asked him about the stamina issue. Orser mention that it's still a work in progress that Yuzuru was still getting used to skating more hours a day and doing more run-throughs of his program. In addition to that, both programs are much more challenging, he said, due to the six million (well, those are my words) transitions and the quads he has in both. So what we saw in the FS was a rough patch. That said, Orser said Yuzuru was an absolute gentlemen, polite and respectful and willing to learn -- so I think you can expect that he will have a nice recovery by NHK.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the report! How nice that skating is a sport where fans can have a word from the coaches and pass along their good wishes to the skaters. I think Orser would be one of the coaches I'd most want to meet and talk to, along with Yuka and Jason. (I'd be way too intimidated to talk to Frank Carroll!)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the report! How nice that skating is a sport where fans can have a word from the coaches and pass along their good wishes to the skaters. I think Orser would be one of the coaches I'd most want to meet and talk to, along with Yuka and Jason. (I'd be way too intimidated to talk to Frank Carroll!)

Orser was quite friendly! He also collected gifts for Yuzuru from the Japanese fans and got photos taken with all of them. He was quite the sport!

FTnoona

Final Flight
Mrs.P did you stay around for the Gala? What was the crowd's reaction to Yuzu's exhibition number?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs.P did you stay around for the Gala? What was the crowd's reaction to Yuzu's exhibition number?

Yes, I did! Yuzuru was awesome! Can't believe he did so many hard jumps--it's as if he wanted to make up for the FS. He was very entertaining and the crowded loved it!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm not really that worried about Yuzuru after SA. I think he won't ponder it too much and just keep going. Sadly for me, it is like that: This season I don't like his SP and his LP even less. I was worried about the coach change when it was announced and now my fears came true. On the other hand - it is practically impossible to repeat last seasons heart & soul wretching performances ever again so to hold it up to this standard might be unfair. I wish him all the best this season and want him to do well, but since my feelings for his programmes are lukewarm I just cannot support him the way I did last year. I hope his programmes in the Olympic season will be extra special.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Different strokes for different folks, I guess -- but I really like Yuzuru's programs this year. I think it's good that Orser & Co. are challenging him with new styles, new layouts, more transitions etc. And I think he shows just as much passion and heart in these programs as he has done in the past. I think he still has work to do as far as making them his own, but it's early in the season.

lakeside

On the Ice
Yuzru’s piece was probably the most popular EX of the night. The crowd was shrieking and clapping during his performance. For me this may be the best EX program of the season. I thought Takahashi had the best piece, but Yuzru’s program even tops that. My goodness, he’s only 17 but already has a huge charisma!

I'm not really that worried about Yuzuru after SA. I think he won't ponder it too much and just keep going. Sadly for me, it is like that: This season I don't like his SP and his LP even less. I was worried about the coach change when it was announced and now my fears came true. On the other hand - it is practically impossible to repeat last seasons heart & soul wretching performances ever again so to hold it up to this standard might be unfair. I wish him all the best this season and want him to do well, but since my feelings for his programmes are lukewarm I just cannot support him the way I did last year. I hope his programmes in the Olympic season will be extra special.
Think this way: the judges don’t like skaters who always skate to the same style of programs and stay in their comfort zone. Even Takahashi who has good artistry gets some criticisms because he skated to “same old same old” programs each year. That’s why he’s trying new choreographers and classical music this year.

The judges already knew that Yuzru could skate to classical music and powerful OST very well. They would want him to get out of his comfort zone and do something else, and trying new things will always be risky. When I first heard Parisienne Walkways, I didn’t like the music at all. But when I watched Yuzru’s SP at SA, I was amazed by his wonderful presentation that made me forget how awful the music was. Then I began to think he could skate to diverse styles at such a young age. The judges must have agreed with me, as they rewarded him with good PCS.

I know different people like different styles. Some people may prefer powerful touching OST and some may prefer alternative rock, so developing a versatile style is important for skaters. I also like Yuzru’s R&J, but if he always skates to that type of music I’ll eventually be bored. I like how he tried and succeeded to pull off sexy blues and alternative rock pieces this season. Yuzru is going in the right direction to be a versatile artistic skater.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mrs. P had a chance to talk to Orser about Yuzuru at Skate America after the SP and before the LP.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Short-Program&p=667567&viewfull=1#post667567

and

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38348-Notes-from-the-arena

And Hanyu. Let me tell you, it was amazing to see it live. From the warmup you could see it in his eyes he was ready to bring it. He had a really high quality program. He hit all the jumps perfectly with beautiful transitions and at amazing speed. He got a standing o when he was done.

Do I think he was overscored? Maybe by a few points, but, he really presented a challenging program and I don't think he could have done it any better. I remember liking it when I saw the Finlandia video, but I loved it after seeing it live and seeing the intensity and energy Yuzuru put into the program.

Brian Orser ended up in the table next to me at the hotel bar so we end up striking a conversation. He was not surprised at Yuzuru's performance. He talked about how both sp and fs are very challenging for Hanyu, and that he has been working with Hanyu to do more run thoughs. He said that when he first met with Hanyu, he learned that he did not skate as much daily as someone wanting to be top caliblier competition should. But he pointed out that Yuzuru has been a gentleman, respectful and willing to learn. I think we all saw the fruit of that tonight.

He was surprised by the score. He said based on his performance tonight compared to Finlandia, he expected a score more in the high 80's.

On a lighter note, the topic of the Pooh tissue box came up and he said, "When he was not my student I used to make fun of that. Now I have to hold it." He said this in a good natured way. We all laughed.

BTW, Yuzuru was absolutely wonderful in the exhibition, as well as in the SP!

And I hope he will be able to improve his stamina. It is so difficult for athletes with asthma.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well it's early in the season. Like Doris, I hope Yuzuru works out his stamina issue, I think Orser is working on it; as he said it's a work in progress. Just because we haven't seen the results yet doesn't mean it's being dealt with.

I like all the Japanese skaters, including Tasuki -- he was my new favorite out of Skate America....Japanese Nationals and NHK Trophy Are going to be quite fun!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why are we assuming that Orser isn't doing anything or that there isn't customization being done? From my conversation with Orser, it doesn't sound like he's forcing Yuzuru to adhere to a certain regimen. In fact, I get the sense that Orser would like him to skate more hours a day but for now, easing him into it given his health condition.

Tommmy

Rinkside
I don't see let`s talk as Yuzuru hater, and I really appreciate his/her posts in here such as translation of Yuzuru's interview or photos of him, etc.
And I also don't see lakeside as Daisuke nor anyone's hater, either.
So I hope everyone respect each other's opinion and don't bash them.
We are here coz we love Yuzuru, you know :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Obviously because Hanyu's results and skating last year was way much better than what we saw for now. So- fans are worried. That's normal.

I don't think it's that obvious to me. I do think he has stronger, more challenging programs this year. Not to say that people can't like them less than last year's -- I loved Romeo and Juliet! But the programs are a departure for him and I think that's a good thing.

YMMY.