Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This part about Adian was pretty unclear from Google Translate...can someone explain what she meant exactly? It sounds like she knew he was in pain and still wanted him to skate, or did she really think it was all in his head? Either way, everyone knows he hasn't been able to compete since then, so I would hope she feels some regret about ruining his career. She's the tough coach and that's her style, take it or leave it, fine for those who can cope with it...but I still think she should admit some responsibility for what happened to him, at least.

- I have now a picture before my eyes - an arbitrary Pitkeeva at the Russian Championship 2015 season / 16 in Yekaterinburg. He was very badly falls to quadruple, tears rolled, it hurt, and you meet him at the rim sharp phrase: "Once released - be patient."
- Yes. Time left - we must ride.
- But maybe he wanted at that moment other words? The same compassion?
- By the start he had walked in a state that for such rental led. The training process has already been some provocation.

The entire interview is translated on FSU by TAHbKa because it seems that Google is leaving some incorrect interpretations

Simonenko's interview with Tutberidze `Projecting the upbringing on the sport results discipline'

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Teacher's job is, as name says, to teach. To share knowledge and information.
The morals and work ethics and so on are on family / parents.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the US it is to babysit. And make sure the students are comforted, included and special.

Nah....from my personal experience it's been to make sure the mom is happy ;)

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Why can't boys cry? Why can't they show their frailty? Why is this coach asking for the same from every single skater of hers? Does she understand the word "Individuality" as a professional trainer? The skater's upbringing is the key to their success, but the way you are dealing with these youngsters is simply horrible! Such a cruel coach can work nowhere else but in Russia. Alas...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was shaking my head over how tiring it is for her to shout at the skaters all the time! Poor, poor Eteri.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think I'd love to see the named athletes respond to this article. :popcorn:
Adian already did, on his ask.fm:

Q: You should be glad you got out of that nuthouse in time.
A: After this, I don't even want to object or defend that place, so thank you.

And this is someone who came to say goodbye to Eteri with flowers, not even one of those ungrateful bastards who wouldn't say hello :dev3:

ETA: He has deleted it already.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why can't boys cry? Why can't they show their frailty? Why is this coach asking for the same from every single skater of hers? Does she understand the word "Individuality" as a professional trainer? The skater's upbringing is the key to their success, but the way you are dealing with these youngsters is simply horrible! Such a cruel coach can work nowhere else but in Russia. Alas...

It depends on why they're crying. Our ballet teacher did not allow the boys or girls to cry over anything that had to do with self pity. If you're injured, or crying do to a personal problem, that's different. If you're crying because you can't get a move, or frustrated over not getting a solo....You need to get over it....Fast!!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sure they can! As long they keep doing recreational skating only. With mom saying "good job".

Why did you take my words out of the context? First Polina, and then Adian, yeah, it is wholly their own fault that ruined their skating career!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Isn't bringing home medals the only competence coach should care of?

No, when you only tunnel vision on that you lose the ability to get there in the first place, or at least to sustain it. Plus there is more to skating than just what gets a medal. Nobody cares if you win a medal if they don't care for your skating. If a skater wants an actual career then they will need to be aware of more.

Lana05

Final Flight
There are many other coaches, if youu don't like something you can leave and stop crying. If other coaches are so good amd kind with their students where are their results?

ejnsofi

Final Flight

ekhm... I just want to remind you the way Frank treated Gracie and the way he ended his contract with her.

Also I have no idea if you ever trained any sport on professional level but the first rule in my gymnastic squad was "Problems from floor we solve at floor, problems from home we solve at home". If you have any family problems do you go to your boss to talk about it? I bet you don't and for those kids figure skating is like a job

madison

Record Breaker
I may understand that Eteri's interview can be controversial for some, but I only see a very professional coach, she's strict and oriented towards results.
I think she's right that the family's support is an important factor.
I totally understand her that she wants her former students to say hello when they meet for chance... this is basic education.

Barb

Record Breaker
It is simply other method, and probably many coaches are just like her, but nobody make a fuss about it, and add the fact she is a woman, people always hope a woman become kind of a mother for the students :rolleye:. Lucinda Ruh wrote some things not favorable about Nobu Sato for example, Frank C. was/is not the most supportive and Morozov sleeps with his students. Eteri is very normal, she is only doing her job, plus it must be very stressful to get emotionally involved with your students, coaches are affected by failures and partings, because it is usually the students who leave the coach, not the other way around, so I understand if she wants to distance herself emotionally from her students.

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist
I can't recall any top skater-coach split that seems happy. They're all bitter for a while or like forever.

At the moment, only Hanyu pops up in my mind to be the top skater who still has great relationships with his previous coaches. But wasn't his previous coach the one who suggested him to move to Canada? They parted on good terms. That's very rare.

:eek:topic:

No she wasn’t. Mrs Nanami Abe ‘s husband Yoshida- san , who is the one who regularly sharpens Hanyu’s blades, says he and his wife didn't know about Yuzu's going to Cricket.
This is a Yoshida –san interview from a Japanese magazine in November 2016 translated by Daisy616 in Yuzuru’s fanfest.” Yoshida-san says he and his wife didn't know about Yuzu's going to Cricket.He also says his wife often can't see Yuzu's competition live, but she always watches the recording eagerly, and then they talk about his program together drinking sake.
Once, Yuzu asked Nanami-sensei to watch his training (I think it's while he was back in Sendai),but Nanami told him she couldn't unless Yuzu had a permission from Orser.
At the end of the interview, Yoshida-san says "Both Nanami and I care for Yuzuru as if he were our child. We love him."
I agree with you this is a rare ( and wonderful) case. A pic from 2017 WTT :
http://wx3.sinaimg.cn/large/71694439gy1ff8pejuxl3j20yh0qo46u.jpg

russianfan

Match Penalty
AS: In the movie you said you were dragging Zhenya on the ice.
ET: I was
AS: Do you have to now?
ET: No, there are different ways now.
AS: But you have to look for them!
ET: Right. Verbal. Sometimes we have very serious talks. She is a big girl and words are enough. Sometimes I have to - like with the remote control - set the volume higher. But then she had so many examples in front of her. She became a serious skater very early and I can always remind her `what will happen if'. There is a lot to remember.
Eteri is right. Zhenya have seen very clearly what could happen and how easily you can disappear from the top, even after winning olympic medal or worlds. And this is probably one of the main reasons she working so hard.

Chillyh

Spectator
I totally understand her that she wants her former students to say hello when they meet for chance... this is basic education.
Don't you think she's been working hard to achieve this situation? That maybe all those students have their reasons to behave as they do, not just bad manners? Eteri openly admits she can insult and humiliate her students and shares their confidential personal information with journalists. Yes, she can teach jumps, etc, but undoubtedly lacks professional ethics.
As for why the parents still want her to coach their kids, it is because children are not so much respected in Russia as in the West. I know stories about coaches hitting their young students, and parents not always taking any action against it, let alone bringing charges, and something like shouting insults all the time is thought to be absolutely normal, 99% of coaches do it.