NYC and the RC | Golden Skate

NYC and the RC

I live on the East side directly across from Madison Square Garden on the West side.. For the past two days I believe the security organizers of the RC have been rehearsing what to do in case of a serious problem which might occur at the Garden or on route to the Garden. There have been convoys of police SUVs, lots of police cars, motorcycles, all zooming up and down 34th street sounding their sirenes from west to east (there are hospitals on the east side). Penn Station and the LIRR commuter entrance look like barricades made up of policemen looking carefully at everyone entering or passing by. Today we had several helicopters buzzing around my building and continuing on down to the West side. I was told there will be at least one blimp hovering over the Garden during the convention.

Sunday is the protest day and that should be an interesting touch to this enfolding drama. Thousands and thousands are predicted to show up for the organized march. From what I understand, they will go 'on their own' to Central Park but there will not be any platform for speeches. Bloomberg won this based on his statement that the crowd would ruin the grass. When thousands and thousands of fans flock to Central Park to see Pavorati or whatever, the grass is fine. hmmm.

If all this goes off without a hitch, I kinda think Bloomberg will be very noticed nationally and could that mean a run for the Presidency?

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Pataki has a slot for a speech that will be televised nationally. Fiuilani isn't supposed to be given such a high profile slot (something to do with the fact that Pataki and Giuliani don't get along). Given the fact that both of these New York Republicans may already ahve Presidential ambitions, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Bloomberg. In fact all 4 of these rebulicans are quite to the left of their party's mainstream, so I don't know how they'd get through the primaries...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz: Wow! You live in the "Big Apple?" I never knew that!! It's hard for me to imagine what life must be like there sitting here in dull old Surrey - part of the suburbs of Vancouver.

guinevere

Final Flight
By pure dumb luck I managed to schedule my annual trek to visit mom in NYC right before the RNC. There seemed to be a lot of security rehearsals going on last week as well. My mom sent me an email today saying she's leaving the city until next Friday "or longer, depending on how things go". I think she's anticipating the whole city to explode! :laugh:

Hi Lad - Yup. I live in the Big Apple, and living there is a trip. As the saying goes if there is a million to one chance that something will happen, it happens in NYC three times a day. :laugh: I've been to Vancouver twice and Toronto 3 times so I do move about.

guinivere - I heard on Public Radio that many Newyorkers who live directly in the vicinity of Madison Square Garden are leaving town for the week. Can't blame them. I at least can hang out on the east side.

Joe

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I can only imagine what a nightmare it is to be in the city right now.

A couple years ago I was attending a conference in Baltimore. The last day I was going to check out the harbor and maybe take a cruise. With my luck Bush was hosting a fundraiser in the same hotel where the conference was taking place. Shortly after breakfast FBI and such started sweeping the whole place, installing metal detectors and walking around with dogs that look like they eat children. Everybody was kicked out around noon and I was told that unless I go to the airport now I will have no chance to get out of the downtown. I arrived in the airport 5 hours before my flight. That was a first!

Drive up to lovely Saratoga if you want to escape the Republicans :)))

Yana

heyang

Record Breaker
I was hoping to get into the city this month to give training at our Calvin Klein offices and visit with friends. While I'm not scared, I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of taking the train into Penn Station (which is underneath Madison Square Garden.) or driving into Manhatten.

My co-worker's daughter is leaving NYC during the RNC - she's going to visit friends in California. Most of the other people I know in NYC don't live or work near the Garden.

heyang said:
I was hoping to get into the city this month to give training at our Calvin Klein offices and visit with friends. While I'm not scared, I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of taking the train into Penn Station (which is underneath Madison Square Garden.) or driving into Manhatten.

My co-worker's daughter is leaving NYC during the RNC - she's going to visit friends in California. Most of the other people I know in NYC don't live or work near the Garden.

But thousands from New Jersey and Long Island take trains that go directly to Penn Station and from there they take local Manhattan transport to their Offices. This wont work for the week. I think they will just call in "Republicans caused my absence" :laugh:

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, what's happening in NYC is nothing compared to what was going on in Boston during DNC! Most people who work in downtown were forced to take the week off because of all the closures of highway and trains. The Democrats will obviously get MA no matter what, so they could really do whatever they wanted...

Pitchka - Apparently the trains are running into Penn Station. A close friend of mine from Princeton, e-mailed me saying there was no problem getting into NYC, but when he got off the train, he said it was like an armed camp. It's more difficult to get into Penn Station from the city.

Around the city there are pockets of protestors. One rather large group left the UN vicinity and marched down 2nd avenue right passed my windows. Suddenly, there were police cars lined up by the marchers that guided them down the avenue.

Today, the big parade will be Anarchists, and they can create trouble. Anyway, the NYC police are doing their job. It's going to cost a bundle.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joe, I don't know if you're in a really exciting location or one that would inspire one to leave town for a few days! Sounds like a little of both..... :D

JonnyCoop said:
Joe, I don't know if you're in a really exciting location or one that would inspire one to leave town for a few days! Sounds like a little of both..... :D

It is a litle of both but I don't get the invitations to Fire Island like I used to :cry: so I remain in the city. But as a native, and like all natives, one takes it in stride.

Joe