Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
Results 2,206 to 2,214 of 2214

Thread: 2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Tripping on the Podium Miss Ice's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone seen the EDGE QUALITY of Angela Wang? Her skating quality is magnificent, and most of her jumps are preceded by a gorgeous, difficult entrance. Why haven't we seen her on any podiums?

0 Not allowed!
    I guess because she's not exactly the FUTURE of US skating and because she wasn't the most hyped as a junior so she's not as hyped now. Honestly, I think it's a USFSA thing--even international things are determined by them since she can't podium if she isn't even entered. I wish she had more assignments, though. Maybe she'll get Gracie's COC spot?

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ice View Post
    Has anyone seen the EDGE QUALITY of Angela Wang? Her skating quality is magnificent, and most of her jumps are preceded by a gorgeous, difficult entrance. Why haven't we seen her on any podiums?
    I have and you're 100% correct about Angela. She is a beautiful skater with deep edges and powerful jumps. She has been in the verge of greatness several times and if she can manage to put 2 strong programs together at Nationals, she could make the team. Other than Mirai, none of our Ladies has been spectacular this season. We'll have to see how things go once the GP gets into full swing.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    I guess because she's not exactly the FUTURE of US skating and because she wasn't the most hyped as a junior so she's not as hyped now. Honestly, I think it's a USFSA thing--even international things are determined by them since she can't podium if she isn't even entered. I wish she had more assignments, though. Maybe she'll get Gracie's COC spot?
    Angela is not eligible for Gracie's spot because she doesn't rank high enough to be on the substitutes list. IIRC, she's had some injury issues that caused her to have to miss assignments that would have given her a chance to get on that list.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxiejan View Post
    Angela is not eligible for Gracie's spot because she doesn't rank high enough to be on the substitutes list. IIRC, she's had some injury issues that caused her to have to miss assignments that would have given her a chance to get on that list.
    Correct...She withdrew from Nebelhorn and Skate America last season. She managed to finish 7th at Nationals which is surprisingly the highest finish of her career as a Senior. It seems like she been around forever but she's just 21 years old. I have a feeling that several top skaters will be leaving the sport at the end of this season and if Angela sticks around, she may end up like Ashley Wagner and have a career that peaks in her 20's.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I've never heard that music before but I like it way more for Karen than "Carmen"! I'm glad she's changed her FS!
    Neither have I but, you're right, it's better than Carmen.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone here feel that Caroline Zhang is a dark horse for an olympic spot? She came out of no where last year and took an impressive 5th. She was never the fastest and never the strongest jumper, but she had a fire in her belly last year.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arewhyaen View Post
    Anyone here feel that Caroline Zhang is a dark horse for an olympic spot? She came out of no where last year and took an impressive 5th. She was never the fastest and never the strongest jumper, but she had a fire in her belly last year.
    I don't know what to make of Caroline. I've only seen her live once and that was in 2011 and she didn't have a good event. She was much better in 2012 and even though it seems like she's been around forever, she's only 24. Who knows what will happen with the US Ladies.....They're off to a shaky start....Except Mirai...

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelicaamatina View Post
    She is also the reigning national champ and recieved a bronze at US classic, Senior B's are listed as part of your body of work. Japan Open on the other hand is actually not, so her sixth place finish there does not even factor in to the selection process. So far she is being looked at as the reiging National champ, fourth place at worlds, U.S. Classic bronze medalist, GP results TBD, Nationals results TBD.
    It isn't only the placement that counts, though. Karen's score at the US Classic would have landed her in 11th place at last year's Worlds. Even factoring in scoring variations, she'd be nowhere near a World or Olympic podium with those skates. If you're talking about giving a skater a bye without a good 2018 Nationals performance, she ought to have several strong outings. She may have them in the GP series, but I wouldn't say the US Classic either helped or hurt her campaign.

Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148