2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 225 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Semantics......Mirai deserved the spot by outscoring Ashley under the pressure of Nationals.

Not according to the selection rules. Ashley "deserved" the spot by outscoring Mirai under the pressure of the GP season, as well as 2013 Nationals and 2013 Worlds. If you go down the list, Ashley beat Mirai on all but one.

frida80

Record Breaker
Nothing good ever comes from discussing 2014 nationals. Nothing.

This has to apply to the bickering rule in place. Mods should step in so we can move on.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not according to the selection rules. Ashley "deserved" the spot by outscoring Mirai under the pressure of the GP season, as well as 2013 Nationals and 2013 Worlds. If you go down the list, Ashley beat Mirai on all but one.

If we go down the list of this season.......None of the ladies deserve to be held up and certainly not Ashley! I could see them holding up Karen as the defending champion and pewter medalist from last years worlds. Though I love Bradie, I think she'll have to skate her way onto the team but if she skates the way she did at Skate America, I think she'll make the team. What would disappoint me is to see a skater like Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks who have been close so many times, get passed over for Ashley if they beat her in competition.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
If we go down the list of this season.......None of the ladies deserve to be held up and certainly not Ashley! I could see them holding up Karen as the defending champion and pewter medalist from last years worlds. Though I love Bradie, I think she'll have to skate her way onto the team but if she skates the way she did at Skate America, I think she'll make the team. What would disappoint me is to see a skater like Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks who have been close so many times, get passed over for Ashley if they beat her in competition.

Nobody deserves to be propped this year and they won’t. How does this have todo with 2014?

R.D.

Record Breaker
What would disappoint me is to see a skater like Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks who have been close so many times, get passed over for Ashley if they beat her in competition.

As I mentioned earlier, THAT would be a tough call. *IF* such a result played out, I would not be shocked if Wagner got picked again over them.

And then the forums (and social media) would melt down :dev2:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
It has nothing to do with 2014....We've veered off track......:drama:

It really doesn’t. Ashley has not had a good last two seasons, so if she’s off he podium, she’s prob off the team. I’m saying that and I’m prob one of her biggest fans

artsciboy

On the Ice
It really doesn’t. Ashley has not had a good last two seasons, so if she’s off he podium, she’s prob off the team. I’m saying that and I’m prob one of her biggest fans

Have more faith - she won bronze in the only event she completed this season and its not like Ashley had a horrible 2016-2017 season. It was arguably a good season, but not as spectacular as past ones for her (winner of SA, 6th at COC was a blip, 2nd at Nationals, 7th at Worlds where it was a difference of less than 6 points between her and Karen Chen in 4th, and she scored over 200+ points at the WTT). She's still one of the top skaters in the world and has the PCS to match. If she's sent to the Olympics, she's certainly a strong addition to the Team Event to help secure a medal at least and that should factor heavily in the Selection Committee's subconscious.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Karen’s book has been out for a little while now. Has it sold? I’m actually curious about her story; I think she’s broken her back and/or ankle twice (???) and that she’s a girly girl, but other than that, Idk much about Karen at all, her interviews sound so guarded. Her parents must’ve been rich to get her constant lessons; I mean, she was so good at such a young age. And she was tutored, so her skating probably takes top priority.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

Well, lets see:
Last year (full season), Ashley was 2nd at Nationals, 7th at Worlds and first alternate for the GPF. No one but Karen compared.
This year (half season so far), Ashley was one of only 2 USA ladies to medal. And, despite skating with injury, was solidly ahead of Karen (again) in SP at SA.

This isn't an issue of whether Ashley is as good in 2018 as she was in 2016. It's whether there are THREE U.S. ladies with two-season results that are better.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, lets see:
Last year (full season), Ashley was 2nd at Nationals, 7th at Worlds and first alternate for the GPF. No one but Karen compared.
This year (half season so far), Ashley was one of only 2 USA ladies to medal. And, despite skating with injury, was solidly ahead of Karen (again) in SP at SA.

This isn't an issue of whether Ashley is as good in 2018 as she was in 2016. It's whether there are THREE U.S. ladies with two-season results that are better.

Thanks so much for being supportive! It means a lot to realize I’m not the only person in the world who believes in Ashley’s abilities... I was just trying to get everyone to stop bickering tbh lol

- - - Updated - - -

Have more faith - she won bronze in the only event she completed this season and its not like Ashley had a horrible 2016-2017 season. It was arguably a good season, but not as spectacular as past ones for her (winner of SA, 6th at COC was a blip, 2nd at Nationals, 7th at Worlds where it was a difference of less than 6 points between her and Karen Chen in 4th, and she scored over 200+ points at the WTT). She's still one of the top skaters in the world and has the PCS to match. If she's sent to the Olympics, she's certainly a strong addition to the Team Event to help secure a medal at least and that should factor heavily in the Selection Committee's subconscious.

Thanks so much for being supportive! It means a lot to realize I’m not the only person in the world who believes in Ashley’s abilities... I was just trying to get everyone to stop bickering tbh lol

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If we go down the list of this season.......None of the ladies deserve to be held up and certainly not Ashley! I could see them holding up Karen as the defending champion and pewter medalist from last years worlds.

According to the list, in the top tier (3 events), no one gets a bump from GPF and Ashley's 7th at 2017 Worlds gives her a bump over all but Karen. The third event is 2018 Nationals, TBD.

The next tier includes 2017 Nationals (Ashley gets a bump over all but Karen) and 2018 GP (Ashley gets a bump over all but Bradie).

This means that if Ashley is a close 4th behind a 3rd of Mirai, Mariah, Courtney, Angela, Polina or Starr, etc., she indeed could "deserve" to be held up. It would depend on how much weight is given to the lower-tier Senior Bs, which would help Mirai & iirc, Courtney.

mrrice

Record Breaker
According to the list, in the top tier (3 events), no one gets a bump from GPF and Ashley's 7th at 2017 Worlds gives her a bump over all but Karen. The third event is 2018 Nationals, TBD.

The next tier includes 2017 Nationals (Ashley gets a bump over all but Karen) and 2018 GP (Ashley gets a bump over all but Bradie).

This means that if Ashley is a close 4th behind a 3rd of Mirai, Mariah, Courtney, Angela, Polina or Starr, etc., she indeed could "deserve" to be held up. It would depend on how much weight is given to the lower-tier Senior Bs, which would help Mirai & iirc, Courtney.

Discussions like these are the precisely why skaters need to bring it at Nationals and control their own fate. Skate 2 great programs and take the committee out of play.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Seriously?? :scratch3: Then someone really needs to point out to her that she needs to stop reusing programs and give fans something new to see and that means something other than a pretty new dress... I don't want to see her go to worlds/Olympics because I'm tired of her programs

She claims to have a hard time learning new programs because of memory problems from all of her Concussions. Well Hello, if it is that serious maybe it is time she stops skating. Memory problems are serious and why would she want to risk further injury? Or is that just an excuse for not moving on from what she has become comfortable with.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Nothing good ever comes from discussing 2014 nationals. Nothing.

This has to apply to the bickering rule in place. Mods should step in so we can move on.

It has been beaten to death long ago. Rehashing it over and over is not going to change a thing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She claims to have a hard time learning new programs because of memory problems from all of her Concussions. Well Hello, if it is that serious maybe it is time she stops skating. Memory problems are serious and why would she want to risk further injury? Or is that just an excuse for not moving on from what she has become comfortable with.

Don't even go there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

You are garbling the tiers.

2017 Nationals are in Tier 3, not Tier 2. (In Tier 3, along with 2017 Challengers.)

2017 Four Continents and 2017 GPs are in Tier 2.

Worth mentioning b/c for example:

Would Mirai's bronze at 2017 Four Continents be worth as much as Ashley's bronze at 2017 Skate Canada?

IMO, seems very possible.

Likewise, seems very possible that Mirai's 2017 Challenger silver (at U.S. Classic) would be worth as much as Ashley's silver at 2017 Nats.​

At this point, it is possible that Ashley's 7th place at Worlds is her "only" real bump over Mirai.
Remains to be seen whether the bump will come into play and how valuable (or not) a bump it would be :popcorn:.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

You have no idea what you are talking about.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Yep. I agree. Something ain't right with "Diva" and her stories.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You are garbling the tiers.

2017 Nationals are in Tier 3, not Tier 2. (In Tier 3, along with 2017 Challengers.)

2017 Four Continents and 2017 GPs are in Tier 2.

Worth mentioning b/c for example:

Would Mirai's bronze at 2017 Four Continents be worth as much as Ashley's bronze at 2017 Skate Canada?

IMO, seems very possible.

Likewise, seems very possible that Mirai's 2017 Challenger silver (at U.S. Classic) would be worth as much as Ashley's silver at 2017 Nats.​

At this point, it is possible that Ashley's 7th place at Worlds is her "only" real bump over Mirai.
Remains to be seen whether the bump will come into play and how valuable (or not) a bump it would be :popcorn:.

Back in 2010 - wasn't Wagner a GPF finalist? That wasn't enough to get her chosen over Nagasu who finished 2nd that year but had a relatively unremarkable GP if I recall...

I feel if it's Wagner vs. Nagasu a *THIRD* time, there just isn't quite enough there to lift one over the other at this point. If either wants to go, best bet is to get into the top 3.

It'll be an interesting Nationals for sure. Lots at stake! And less than 3 weeks away, too. :eek: