2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 318 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Shayuki

Record Breaker
she backloaded all her jumps (except the axel).....just like the russian teens. All this talk about backloading making it more difficult doesn't work for an American I guess....
That's true and I think Yoshida flutzed, I wonder if that was called.

In any case, Hanna Yoshida earned 1.73 points by backloading and Alysa Liu earned 3.18 points via backloading. Maybe it would have gone differently without the UR call... But in any case, performing an additional triple jump outweighs the backloading benefits here.

Their point difference was almost 6 points so I don't think Alysa Liu would have won even if she didn't get the UR call. Hm, I wonder if she should have lost in PCS so clearly like that.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Hanna should have been called for an inside edge on that lutz. Judges are ignoring edge takeoffs and it should be penalized heavily for doing a jump WRONG.

Alysa being called for an UR on her loop? SMH... I hope she continues to train her lutz/loop. She should have done her flip half loop/toe combo, I don't understand why she left it out, plus her music is shorter. USFSA need to send her to competitions against the Russians. She needs to see her competition up close.

She was competing in an advanced novice event; therefore, a three jump combo was not permitted. FYI, the three jump combo she did at Junior Nationals was a triple flip, half loop, triple salchow.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Any feedback that Alyssa gets Internationally, I consider a good thing. She can’t go to th JGP until 2019, so that gives her a full year to make certain her jumps are as clean as possible. I hope she gets at least three Adv. novice comps next year.

her jumps were not clean when she first entered as a novice in domestic competition because really, she was SO TINY, and that's understandable, but it's as clear as day NOW that her jumps are CLEAN. They are already lowballing her....smh, but I hope you are right, that it only will make her stronger and prove those so called panel of experts WRONG. She turned 12 in August. She will be 13 this year in August, so I hope that means she can compete as a senior in Jan. 2019 at US nationals.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

In any case, Hanna Yoshida earned 1.73 points by backloading and Alysa Liu earned 3.18 points via backloading. Maybe it would have gone differently without the UR call... But in any case, performing an additional triple jump outweighs the backloading benefits here.

Their point difference was almost 6 points so I don't think Alysa Liu would have won even if she didn't get the UR call. Hm, I wonder if she should have lost in PCS so clearly like that.

like I said, either they ding us in UR or on PCs.........that PCS category....man, needs to be addressed in the current judging system, major FLAW as well as GOEs

Sjs5572

Final Flight
her jumps were not clean when she first entered as a novice in domestic competition because really, she was SO TINY, and that's understandable, but it's as clear as day NOW that her jumps are CLEAN. They are already lowballing her....smh, but I hope you are right, that it only will make her stronger and prove those so called panel of experts WRONG. She turned 12 in August. She will be 13 this year in August, so I hope that means she can compete as a senior in Jan. 2019 at US nationals.

She is allowed to compete as a senior next season. With Ashley and Mirai likely retiring, I think Alysa is a strong podium contender at 2019 Nationals.

frida80

Record Breaker

She might as well compete as a senior next year. She needs to be challenged.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
She might as well compete as a senior next year. She needs to be challenged.

she needs to be challenged by seeing her fierce competitors up close, otherwise how will she improve? I agree :) good luck to this potential star. I hope it all works out for her!

Sjs5572

Final Flight

Yoshida's flutz was not called in long program.
http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2017-2018/20180222/TheH220218_LadiesAdvancedNovice_FS_Scores.pdf
In short program she received a "!" for lutz.
http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2017-2018/20180222/TheH220218_LadiesAdvancedNovice_SP_Scores.pdf

R.D.

Record Breaker
Some people keep mentioning this Alyssa Liu...One ask, if she turns out to be “all that”, just please don’t do the same to her that they did to Gracie Gold. Then again I really should know better than to hope anything at this point.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Some people keep mentioning this Alyssa Liu...One ask, if she turns out to be “all that”, just please don’t do the same to her that they did to Gracie Gold. Then again I really should know better than to hope anything at this point.
You know if she ends up becoming "the hope of the American ladies' figure skating" she'll get hyped to no end, especially as her first senior season is the Olympic season. And that's a dangerous mix, I'm not sure how she could be able to deal with a season like that. And then if the Olympics wouldn't go well for her due to feeling the pressure, well... It's a dangerous game to play.

I too worry about this.

leafygreens

Final Flight
https://deadspin.com/the-most-controversial-voice-in-figure-skating-cant-sto-1822879133

Skating blind item - who is the skater?

“I had a skater at a bar flip out at me because I said I didn’t like her music edit,” Lease told me. He said she was screaming and crying, and “they had to pull her out of the bar.”

Lease stands by his choices, but that’s not to say he isn’t emotionally affected by their consequences. After the incident in the bar, “I realized, this is a crazy world,” he said. “I felt really sad for months. Like, wow, I really upset someone.” (He was also quick to point out that at a competition soon thereafter, the skater changed her music edit—and medaled.)"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm tired of Dave and his gossip.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus folks on other Boards who say they were in the bar say it wasn’t quite as Dave described. Color me surprised:sarcasm:

mrrice

Record Breaker
She is allowed to compete as a senior next season. With Ashley and Mirai likely retiring, I think Alysa is a strong podium contender at 2019 Nationals.

Speaking of our young skaters, how is Starr looking these days? If Mirai and Ashley retire, and with Gracie done, that leaves a big void of former champions out of the game. I have no idea what's going on with Polina but, she seems like she might be done as well.

Karen has so much potential but she doesn't compete well. If Bradie were changing coaches I'd be more hopeful but, if she doesn't get better choreography and packaging, she's going to be a 1 hit wonder.

frida80

Record Breaker
Speaking of our young skaters, how is Starr looking these days? If Mirai and Ashley retire, and with Gracie done, that leaves a big void of former champions out of the game. I have no idea what's going on with Polina but, she seems like she might be done as well.

Karen has so much potential but she doesn't compete well. If Bradie were changing coaches I'd be more hopeful but, if she doesn't get better choreography and packaging, she's going to be a 1 hit wonder.

Starr needs time to develop. Her coach has been at the Olympics, so she hasn't had a chance to work on her 3F+3T combo yet. I don't expect any firm information until May.

I say we give her space to grow.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
All of Alysa Liu's jumps looked clean to me. And what about all this backloading talk winning you more POINTS? Huh? All of a sudden it ain't worth **** anymore if an American skater does it. SMH....lol.

Her toeloop is obviously cheated, she spins all the way around to where she started the combo before leaving the ice. :eek:hwell:

The program is a startling example of why the backloading rule needs to be changed. She copies Yu-Na Kim's Les Mis and then tries to move most of the jumps to later in the program, and look at how cluttered and ineffective the choreography becomes as a result. The build up and character and emotion are lost. Not what skating should be. She's very talented though, hopefully she will be guided well and blossom into a mature and interesting skater with solid jumps.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
About Alysa, she did get one UR call but the progress she's made in a little over a year on her jumps is tremendous. As she grows it seems to only be helping her with her jumps instead of the opposite, which is nice. Her coach stated after nationals that she is aware of what her Japanese and Russian rivals on the JGP are doing(which is evident in her backloading approach. Only one jump in first half!) and they will work to to gain a 3a or 4sal before she turns eligible for the JGP. I think that is a bit unlikely but who knows. Either way, I am very excited to see what Alysa accomplishes in her career. She is amazing!