2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Gracie just posted a video on Instagram. I think she's in Colorado Springs for a few days.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Gracie just posted a video on Instagram. I think she's in Colorado Springs for a few days.

It looks like she's the guest judge at the Luge Team's Cookoff Challenge at the OTC. You can see her introduction in Team USA's Instagram stories right now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

It looks like she's the guest judge at the Luge Team's Cookoff Challenge at the OTC. You can see her introduction in Team USA's Instagram stories right now.

And Gracie was in one of Madi Chock's Instagram stories yesterday ... with Adam in Colorado Springs.

Interesting that practically half of the SOI cast is there in Colorado Springs this week btwn the shows in California last weekend and Washington state this weekend.

Gracie, Karen, Nathan, Adam, Madi and Evan. Maybe Ashley too (not sure about her).

Karen and Nathan are taking part tonight in a Facebook Live for the USFS Jump On It! Camp.
hackworm reported in the Broadmoor practice thread that Karen also will be giving demos for the camp on Friday and Saturday.

ETA:

Happy Birthday :hb: to Polina, who turned 19 today.

(And better two days late than never, I will add my Happy Birthday wishes for Ashley :hb:.)​

Last edited:

SkaterX

On the Ice
Is this a recent video?

I've never really thought that her jumps completely left her--she landed I think two 3Lz3T's at US Nationals this year.

Usually the practice videos they post are recent but I'm not entirely sure.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Is this a recent video?

I've never really thought that her jumps completely left her--she landed I think two 3Lz3T's at US Nationals this year.

The video was from 2014 (looking at the video, I figured it was the Toyota sports center, I googled "Gracie Gold Rippon Lutz", and the video came up as being posted to her instagram in 2014).

SkaterX

On the Ice
The video was from 2014 (looking at the video, I figured it was the Toyota sports center, I googled "Gracie Gold Rippon Lutz", and the video came up as being posted to her instagram in 2014).

Aha, ok. That makes more sense now. I thought it would be pretty crazy to go from her double toe at SOI to this.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do wonder if her under-rotations happen due to pressure/competition nerves, or if they are a recurring problem in practice due to weak technique or not being in shape enough. Are they more mental or physical?

I've never heard Ashley address this, but Mirai gave an answer to the same question that makes eminent sense to me. She said that in competition, it's very easy to slip back into the old habit of making sure that she rescues the jump and stands up on it, rather than fully rotating and possibly falling. Even though she's trained and practiced the new way.

It's worth remembering that Ashley and Mirai both started competing Seniors in the era before URs were penalized so badly, and rescuing a beautiful jump was more important.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought it would be pretty crazy to go from her double toe at SOI to this.

This comment made me laugh and cry. :( It worries me that, as great as she was technically, she struggled with those jumps in competition at her peak. If she is only able to get back to 80% or 90% of her best form, I don't see where the confidence to go clean under pressure would come from.

sc8

On the Ice
I disagree. Ashley is as inconsistent as the next us lady but rather than falling she underroates. If she fell every time she underrotated(instead of cheating) nobody would consider her consistent. Heck when she won silver at worlds she underrotated 4 jumps, only 2 were called. Underrotating is supposedly worse than falling in this system but the judges give her the benefit of the doubt most of the time(ahem 2a nationals) and so it goes unnoticed in her scores and placements (when they help her out..not quiet the case for coc). Anways I like Ashley I hope it doesn't sound like I am bashing her and I think she could make a run for bronze at the Olympics (with Alina and Evgenia healthy and able I just don't see how any us lady or any other lady for that matter will have a chance at anything other than bronze....... unfortunately :( ) I just don't think we should be calling her consistent. Consistent is Evgenia Med. Consistent is Satoko Miahara. Consistent is Yuna kim. I dont really count Ashley in that group.

This isn't a comparison thread about other nations or the most consistent skaters in the world (e.g. Yuna and Satoko), it's about US skaters. As I said, Ashley is OUR most consistent! She is more bankable than Gracie, Karen, Mirai, Polina, or any others in that she is always our first or second placing lady at major international competitions, consistently (not constantly, but consistently) medals at her GP events when others do not, and has been our most consistent lady at US nationals. Compare medals, placements, and scoring and she is by far our most consistent. Do I think she compares to Medvedeva? No. But, there is no US lady that has been as consistent at home or internationally among our current crop.

As for underrotations...While I'm a skating expert, albeit I passed my senior tests back in the days of figures, I sometimes see things differently than the judges too, but I trust that they are fair in their evaluations of underrotations based on the angles they see. I also trust that the technical caller is at least as accomlplished as I am and fair and gets better camera angles than TV. So, Ashley's two underrotations are the story or what happened at Worlds - not the four you saw or the additional ones I saw among other skaters.

sc8

On the Ice
I've never heard Ashley address this, but Mirai gave an answer to the same question that makes eminent sense to me. She said that in competition, it's very easy to slip back into the old habit of making sure that she rescues the jump and stands up on it, rather than fully rotating and possibly falling. Even though she's trained and practiced the new way.

It's worth remembering that Ashley and Mirai both started competing Seniors in the era before URs were penalized so badly, and rescuing a beautiful jump was more important.

I suspect it is part the technique Ashley learned or has used for years and partly a safety mechanism in competition as Mirai says. I used to flutz or two-foot my lutz - when nervous (it was so hard for me to vault from the outside edge). But, I too was a 6.0 skater and staying up was more important for both technical and artistic scores. I'd hate to see my technical calls if one of my programs was scored under our current system.

concorde

Medalist
Karen and Nathan are taking part tonight in a Facebook Live for the USFS Jump On It! Camp.
hackworm reported in the Broadmoor practice thread that Karen also will be giving demos for the camp on Friday and Saturday.

I wanted to clarify.

Karen was a keynote speaker on Thursday night. She was not a demonstrator.

Angela Wang was a team leader. She did occasionally skate with some of the attendees.

Mariah Nagusi and Marin Honda were demonstrators.

Gracie Gold was spotted at the USOC gift shop on Wednesday but she was not involved with the camp.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Going back to the topic of this thread moreso, I think Ashley is the most consistent; Karen is moving up and has huge potential, Gracie has the best chance for OGM and the best chance NOT to make the American team to the olympics if that makes sense. If she does what she is capable the sky is the limit and if she falters as she is capable of then it could be 1974 all over again with double flips and toes. I do wonder if one of the thing they are trying to do with Gracie - her team - is keep her in the limelight and judges mind hence all the postings, SOI and all. I am not even so sure it is best for Gracie to be around such top notch competitors right now. Maybe she needs some time for herself, time to smell the flowers, maybe to hang with young kids, maybe disabled and see them and encourage them skate for the joy of getting on the ice. Right now to be brutally honest it looks like a skater panicking - trying to stay with the elite, flailing while drowning, trying to stay relevant and the centre of attention. She is like a skater who lost her mojo. She keeps falling and getting up and flailing or throwing her body into the next jump without much thought. I understand the business side of skating ie endorsements especially heading into an oly year and she hasn't been with Zueva that long but still...one would think someone would have come up with a sound game plan for her. Right now the gifted Gracie Gold is looking far from pewter more like tin or aluminum. Give this girl a break -literally - away from the media, away from competition and away from prying eyes. Surely Gracie is not blind and can realize she is even losing ground with SOI with her skates.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I did notice Gold was doing some recent appearances/shoots - seems to me that's the last thing you'd want to do when down & out (seems like a lot of pressure), but then again, I'm only on the outside looking in here. For all I know it could be doing the opposite :shrug:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I did notice Gold was doing some recent appearances/shoots - seems to me that's the last thing you'd want to do when down & out (seems like a lot of pressure), but then again, I'm only on the outside looking in here. For all I know it could be doing the opposite :shrug:

Perhaps she has given up any hope of regaining her peak form and has decided instead to enjoy all the perks of being an Olympic hopeful in her final amateur season. I am certainly ok with this; she has spent her entire young adult life burdened with unreasonably high expectations. Maybe it's time for her to enjoy herself and go out on her terms.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wanted to clarify.

Karen was a keynote speaker on Thursday night. She was not a demonstrator.

Angela Wang was a team leader. She did occasionally skate with some of the attendees.

Mariah Nagusi and Marin Honda were demonstrators.

Gracie Gold was spotted at the USOC gift shop on Wednesday but she was not involved with the camp.

Thanks for clarifying re Karen.

Bits from social media re some other ladies assisting at Jump On It! Camp this year as well:

Paige Rydberg was a team leader. Also Trisha Roohan, as far as I can tell.

Ashley Kim was there, and IIRC, I saw a mention that she was a demonstrator?

Livvy Shilling was in the big "class photo" -- but I don't know what her role was.

Not disagreeing with you re Gracie and the camp ... someone else's Instagram story did happen to give a glimpse of her observing some campers who were in the middle of an off ice class.​

ETA:
You somehow mashed up Mariah Bell and Mirai Nagasu's names, although I know you meant Mirai ;) :yes:.​

My two cents:

I think Gracie looks as if she is enjoying the off-ice camaraderie of SOI a lot. So even though her SOI performances have been sub-par (according to what I have read on GS), I do not consider her to be "down and out." YMMV.

I've said it before, but I still believe/hope that performing and traveling with her SOI castmates (D/W, Karen, Nathan, etc.) will be motivating for GG's competitive skating. Also interacting with fans at meet-and-greets. All of which would be reminders that she wants to belong among the U.S. cream of the crop. (And that fourteen months ago, she belonged among the international cream of the crop.)

I would say something similar regarding her visit to the OTC. The lugers in the cooking challenge are Olympians and/or hopefuls working toward PyeongChang. I assume that Gracie also wants to be there in 2018.
And I imagine that at the photo shoot for Red Bull, what naturally would cross her mind are thoughts like, "Here I am in the spotlight again as a marketable personality ... my skating got me here ... I don't want to rest on my laurels ... I want my skating to be worthy of such opportunities."

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Anyone notice from instagram that Gracie and Ashley have become friends, actual friends not just kind competitors. Gracie posted a picture of them last olympics for Ashley's birthday and Ashley commented that they had totally forced smiles in the picture and Gracie agreed. Almost like saying, look remember when we weren't friends.