2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I misspoke re: Camden Puliken. I was thinking he was senior cause he did Philadelphia, but I see he did club comps at the junior level. That might temper his chances a junior world spot, but it depends how the other three do at seniors. I can't blame him for staying, he has a great shot at the junior title.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, from what I can gather, Nathan Chen is still the top ranked US Man. From the list I saw, Jason is ranked #2. I guess Vincent scores from Junior Worlds don't count and Max is way down the down the list. I guess I'll wait until we get into the real GP Events. I'm still confused...:shrug:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I generally agree, although of course I would put Andrew T. on a par with Tomoki for performance skills:yes: I would say that Andrew has shown more fire and Tomoki more polish in this season. And as much as I love me some Rohene, Andrew's StSeq in his LP:love:

I believe that Doug Ladret, who is now at 7k, works with skaters on jumps (Or at least I've seen photos with him and a harness:biggrin:) He also accompanied Tomoki to his first JGP. But I have no idea if Doug is commonly viewed as a "jump coach" or if that is a primary role.

Isn't Doug Ladret from Arizona? He worked with that skater with Bushy eyebrows....I can never remember his name. BRB...Douglas Razzono. At this point, I'll take Tomoki's lack of expression because I really enjoy his programs. However, I hope they get to work on his expression because his potential is undeniable.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So we have one JGP left then it's GP time, so a good time to check in on the numbers and stats and all that.

Our Challenger Series medalists so far:
Nathan Chen (U.S. Classic, 1st)
Max Aaron (U.S. Classic, 2nd)
Jason Brown (Lombardia, 2nd)
Vincent Zhou (Finlandia 2nd)
Alexander Johnson (Nebelhorn, 2nd)
Adam Rippon (Finlandia 3nd)

And now for the numbers. Top 6 men in each category (with rankings of top contenders if they're outside).

Overall
Nathan Chen - 275.04
Max Aaron - 261.56
Jason Brown - 259.88
Vincent Zhou - 250.01
Adam Rippon - 249.88
Ross Miner - 233.72

SP
Nathan Chen - 91.80
Max Aaron -86.06
Adam Rippon -83.69
Jason Brown 83.01
Alexander Johnson - 82.55
Alexei Krasnozhon - 80.26

SP TES
Max Aaron 48.41
Nathan Chen 47.40
Alexei Krasnozhon - 45.25
Alexander Johnson - 44.35
Grant Hochstein -42.93
Tim Dolensky -42.50
---
8. Vincent Zhou 40.64
9. Jason Brown 39.26

SP PCS
Jason Brown 44.75
Nathan Chen 44.40
Adam Rippon 41.75
Ross Miner 38.96
Alexander Johnson 38.21
Grant Hochsten 38.05
---
7. Max Aaron 37.65
10. Vincent Zhou 35.46

FS
Nathan Chen 183.24
Jason Brown 176.87
Max Aaron 175.50
Vincent Zhou 173.91
Adam Rippon 166.19
Ross Miner 162.08

FS TES
Vincent Zhou 97.97
Nathan Chen 95.24
Max Aaron 94.90
Jason Brown 85.07
Adam Rippon 81.85
Ross Miner 80.86

FS PCS
Jason Brown 91.80
Nathan Chen 88.00
Adam Rippon 85.34
Ross Miner 82.08
Max Aaron 80.60
Timothy Dolensky 77.40
--
8. Vincent Zhou 75.94

... Is there a score tracker website that keeps track of season best scores?

mrrice, your original question was about season's bests.

Chem66's link for ISU stats (lots of useful ones :)) has the link to the ISU's list of 2017/18 ISU SBs for men.

Looking only at the top U.S. men:

ISU Judging System - Season Bests Total Scores 2017/2018

Men

03 | 275.04 Nathan CHEN USA (ISU CS US Internat. FS Classic 2017 15.09.2017)
05 | 261.56 Max AARON USA (ISU CS US Internat. FS Classic 2017 15.09.2017)
06 | 259.88 Jason BROWN USA (ISU CS Lombardia Trophy 2017 16.09.2017)
09 | 250.01 Vincent ZHOU USA (ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017 07.10.2017)
10 | 249.88 Adam RIPPON USA (ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017 07.10.2017)​

And I have copied above Mrs. P's most recent listing of scores (which she posted on Oct 7, after Finlandia).

Ok, from what I can gather, Nathan Chen is still the top ranked US Man. From the list I saw, Jason is ranked #2. I guess Vincent scores from Junior Worlds don't count and Max is way down the down the list. I guess I'll wait until we get into the real GP Events. I'm still confused...:shrug:

mrrice, I have no idea what list you were looking at.
But if you are interested in 2017/18 Season's Bests, then Vincent's scores at last season's Junior Worlds do not (and should not) count.
Max is #2 and Jason is #3 in terms of ISU SBs for total scores from this season.
At this point, Max Aaron would not be "way down" any SBs list for the U.S. men this season except for a listing of PCS.

Isn't Doug Ladret from Arizona? He worked with that skater with Bushy eyebrows....I can never remember his name. BRB...Douglas Razzono. At this point, I'll take Tomoki's lack of expression because I really enjoy his programs. However, I hope they get to work on his expression because his potential is undeniable.

After coaching in Arizona for many years, Doug Ladret joined 7K at least a year ago, IIRC.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^ Ice Coverage........:bow: You have to my rescue so many times and I truly appreciate it!!! :points:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the spirit of openness and fairness, I have to remove Andrew Torgeshev from my list of darkhorse candidates for the Olympic Team.

Don't get me wrong - I love his skating. I think he's amazing. He's certainly a future star.

But I just don't see how the math works for him. He's scoring just above 200 for pretty good (not great) outings. I'm not sure even with the addition of quads to the short and good 3A's, that he can make up the difference.

Now, that said, if he starts delivering cleaner performances and ups the technical in the LP to the point that I think he is capable, I can reassess.

I want to make clear that I still think his potential is enormous. I'm just not sure he's ready quite yet.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the spirit of openness and fairness, I have to remove Andrew Torgeshev from my list of darkhorse candidates for the Olympic Team.

Don't get me wrong - I love his skating. I think he's amazing. He's certainly a future star.

But I just don't see how the math works for him. He's scoring just above 200 for pretty good (not great) outings. I'm not sure even with the addition of quads to the short and good 3A's, that he can make up the difference.

Now, that said, if he starts delivering cleaner performances and ups the technical in the LP to the point that I think he is capable, I can reassess.

I want to make clear that I still think his potential is enormous. I'm just not sure he's ready quite yet.

Of course Andrew has no chance to make the Olympic team he's only 16 and still a Junior his time is 2022 and beyond. What he needs to work on is not popping jumps and getting a 3axel and then he's set. I just hope he's not another Jeremy in the making aka total headcase.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Of course Andrew has no chance to make the Olympic team he's only 16 and still a Junior his time is 2022 and beyond. What he needs to work on is not popping jumps and getting a 3axel and then he's set. I just hope he's not another Jeremy in the making aka total headcase.

Now that Vincent has moved up to Seniors, I think our best hope for our young men is Alexei K. He's still a bit rough around the edges but, he's a good competitor and that will be important once he moves up to the Senior ranks.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I wasn't nearly as dismissive before, and that was not without some thought.

His performances at US Nationals last year were very impressive. Fully rotated quads, excellent style. I figured another year of seasoning, and he'd be an outside contender.

My backing off is based on what he's shown - more importantly what he HASN'T shown. And that's a steady 3A and multiple quads in cleaner programs.

Now, the season is still young, and I maintain my prerogative to reassess his chances if the situation merits.

2017 Andrew is in the same basket I've got Jason Brown's quads stored in: Enough talk - let's see it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Now that Vincent has moved up to Seniors, I think our best hope for our young men is Alexei K. He's still a bit rough around the edges but, he's a good competitor and that will be important once he moves up to the Senior ranks.

Alexei has been a good competitor in his two JGPs this season. And wiped out in his SP the last two years at U.S. Nationals.

I think he'll fit right in with the rest of the senior men.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alexei has been a good competitor in his two JGPs this season. And wiped out in his SP the last two years at U.S. Nationals.

I think he'll fit right in with the rest of the senior men.

I agree, that's why I said "Hope" Vincent is still young and he should be around for 2022 if he were to miss the team this year. Going forward, Nathan, Alexei, Vincent, Camden, Tomoki, and Andrew are the skaters who will take the reigns from our current Veterans.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it will come as a surprise to absolutely no one that Andrew T.’s difficulties landing any one jump mean nothing, bubkes, and nada to my enjoyment of his skating. He is a performer through and through, and no higher praise can I give any skater:luv17: (and yes, people, I’m talking about competitive skating, if some dismissive remark about exhibitions or show skating comes out, I have the old lady cane at the ready.)

I also have not been to enough comps to hear folks talk that Andrew is “really” better than everyone else. I wish I knew those people:laugh: I do know that, which has nothing to do with the fact that I like him anyway, he was at least in the top two of my fav skaters in the FS in the comp I saw this summer. By contrast, there was a Ukrainian skater, seemed like a nice kid, landed beautiful beautiful quads and I do not remember one other thing about his program. I probably wouldn’t drive eight miles to see him skate again, let alone 80. Not to pick on poor Yaroslav, but to explain the thought process behind my support of Andrew T.

But the US has many riches of many kinds in the junior ranks, and we should look forward to them all:clap:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean Rabbitt is replacing his Tequila SP with a new SP, which he has choreographed himself, to “Somewhere in Time”.

Boy will I miss Tequila:sad21::sad21::sad21: But I give Sean props for doing what he thinks is best and doing the choreo for an entirely new program :clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some nice bits :ghug: from Adam Rippon's Reddit AMA this afternoon:

Q: Who are your biggest idols in skating or otherwise?

A: I love Michelle Kwan! My idols today and definitely the amazing athletes I train with every day, Ashley Wagner, Mariah Bell, and Nathan Chen

Q: What are some of your favourite programs (from any discipline!) that you have gotten to see over the years?

A: Omg so hard to answer... Ashley Wagner 2015 Nationals Long, Nathan Chen 2017 Nationals Long, Yuna Kim 2010 Olympics Long, Joannie Rouchette 2010 Olympics short, ummmm.... Jeff Buttle 2008 worlds long... the list goes on and on

Good luck to Nathan and Grant at Rostelecom :yay:.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, it looks like Nathan won the SP in Russia...............He scored 100 plus and is in first place by a decent amount. Hanyu, unfortunately was not great and was, IMO, held up with a score of 94 and change. Mikhail K. is in 4th with an 85.79. Nathan was good last year but now, it's impossible to keep him out of the conversation when you think about who will become the Olympic Champion.

If he can hold it together and win this event in Mikhail's backyard it will speak volumes for his competitive nerve. I don't want to get ahead of myself but, this was a great start to his GP season. Good luck to all the Men in the Free Program........:cheer2::yahoo::dance2:

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Nathan needs a solid LP to cement his status as gold medal contender. He needs a solid back to back outing in Russia.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nathan needs a solid LP to cement his status as gold medal contender. He needs a solid back to back outing in Russia.

I agree. The good news is that he has put himself into the conversation. Even if he ends up losing the LP and taking the Silver Medal, this a step in the right direction. He lost to Hanyu by 30 points at Worlds and if he can close that gap, it will be a win in my book.