2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nationals this season was like an apology for Nathan after he should have won silver (or maybe even gold) last year. Max unfortunately didn't skate his best at Nationals, but if he had, then I suspect he would have garnered some big scores as well, given he really should have won last year. He and Nathan were both seriously hosed at 2016 Nationals and I think USFS finally realized it. But Max's mistakes in the SP meant he was in an early group and wasn't going to get the PCS bump of skating in the final flight.

I don't think Max is being personally attacked for his skating, it more seems that his skating isn't the best fit for the current state of COP. I mean, we all saw what happened to Joubert in 2013 and 2014, even when he was skating well, it didn't matter, the scores and placements were still low. Under 6.0 I think a case could have been made for Joubert to win bronze in Sochi, in reality he was 13th.

Anyways, I think plenty of people appreciate Max and wish he was more rewarded for his good skates. I also strongly feel USFS would have no issue putting him on the Olympic team if he has a good fall season & finishes in the top 3 at Nationals.

This is quite true. I love Max and I have since the first time I saw him fly around the rink. I was one of the people who thought he should have won a second title in 2016. I'm sure that Max would tell you that he just didn't skate well this year and that's why he wasn't on the World Team. Fortunately, I don't think he will take his performance at nationals lying down. I think it will make him hungrier than ever. He may be down right now but, he has too much talent to let himself be written off by his critics and I fully expect a major comeback from Max.....:cheer2:

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Man I was listening to the Hamilton soundtrack on my way home from yoga and thinking about how if I see Jason Brown landing a quad to "Wait For It" I'm just going to cry tears of joy/happiness. With all the complaints about how behind he's always been technically, the song could fit him really well, and create a moment of triumph as he successfully lands a quad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nationals this season was like an apology for Nathan after he should have won silver (or maybe even gold) last year. Max unfortunately didn't skate his best at Nationals, but if he had, then I suspect he would have garnered some big scores as well, given he really should have won last year. He and Nathan were both seriously hosed at 2016 Nationals and I think USFS finally realized it.

I don't agree. Adam's FS had the "It" factor at the 2016 Nationals. (more so than Max's or Nathan's, even though Nathan's 4 quads were thrilling, as was Max's 4-3). There was a shimmering effervescence to Adam's skating that was rewarded. I for one am happy that some of the judges still go with the performance that shows that something extra, rather than simply marrying the PCS to the TES.

I also strongly feel USFS would have no issue putting him on the Olympic team if he has a good fall season & finishes in the top 3 at Nationals.

I agree.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There was a shimmering effervescence to Adam's skating that was rewarded.

Is this the bit where he fell on his backside, or the glaring < and << that weren't called?

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't agree. Adam's FS had the "It" factor at the 2016 Nationals. (more so than Max's or Nathan's, even though Nathan's 4 quads were thrilling, as was Max's 4-3). There was a shimmering effervescence to Adam's skating that was rewarded. I for one am happy that some of the judges still go with the performance that shows that something extra, rather than simply marrying the PCS to the TES.

This. Max had a Moment with his LP during Skate America that year - but at Nationals, he didn't have the energy or the It factor that he had in that earlier performance, which is why I think the judges were a little more conservative with his Nationals PCS inflation.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Man I was listening to the Hamilton soundtrack on my way home from yoga and thinking about how if I see Jason Brown landing a quad to "Wait For It" I'm just going to cry tears of joy/happiness. With all the complaints about how behind he's always been technically, the song could fit him really well, and create a moment of triumph as he successfully lands a quad.

That would be awesome!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is this the bit where he fell on his backside, or the glaring < and << that weren't called?

His 4Z was called as UR (which let's be honest at US Nationals, << becomes < and < are sufficiently rotated - just look at the ladies).

I would have had Max over Adam, but I would have had Nathan over both of them. Max had critical errors that cost him points like the 3S turned to a double. Not to mentiom his program lacked intensity - he was nailed on GOE in the ChSq1 with 0/-1, and he was the only one in the top 7 of the FS not to get level 4 steps. Getting 5 points less PCS than Adam was about right. IMO, that was the judges keeping it close, given international judges would have likely had a greater PCS gap between them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread for GP Assignments!
http://static.isu.org/media/516601/gp_men.pdf

Rostelecom Cup: Nathan Chen, Grant Hochstein
Skate Canada: Jason Brown
Cup of China: Max Aaron, Grant Hochstein, Vincent Zhou
NHK Trophy: Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Adam Rippon
Internationaux de France: Max Aaron, Vincent Zhou
Skate America: Nathan Chen, Adam Rippon TBD

Six men with 2 GP (Aaron, Brown, Chen, Hochstein, Rippon, Zhou) and Farris with 1 spot. The TBD will likely be down to Joshua Farris, Alexander Johnson or Timothy Dolensky, who is fairly high on the GP alternates list (EDITED: and Sean Rabbit).

I expect that we'll see Farris, Johnson, Dolensky and Rabbit at summer comps, like Glacier Falls, and then we'll hear who gets the TBD.

Last edited:

Tahuu

On the Ice

Six men with 2 GP (Aaron, Brown, Chen, Hochstein, Rippon, Zhou) and Farris with 1 spot. The TBD will likely be down to Joshua Farris, Alexander Johnson or Timothy Dolensky, who is fairly high on the GP alternates list (EDITED: and Sean Rabbit).

I expect that we'll see Farris, Johnson, Dolensky and Rabbit at summer comps, like Glacier Falls, and then we'll hear who gets the TBD.

Interesting. Max vs Vincent and Adam vs Jason head-to-head might "decide" which "jumper" and which "artist" would be selected to the Olympic team. If Josh wins his CS and finishes close to the podium at NHK with 2-3 quads in his FS, he will likely get the SA TBD spot and beat out one of the "jumper" or "artist" for an Olympic spot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Interesting. Max vs Vincent and Adam vs Jason head-to-head might "decide" which "jumper" and which "artist" would be selected to the Olympic team. If Josh wins his CS and finishes close to the podium at NHK with 2-3 quads in his FS, he will likely get the SA TBD spot and beat out one of the "jumper" or "artist" for an Olympic spot.

The TBA spot will likely be fillef well before NHK--- probably after summer comps in July. If it's Tim, Sean or Alex...they need to let them know sooner so they can go to Champs Camp.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love that Josh's first GP back he is with Jason. :love:

Nathan13

Medalist
The TBA spot will likely be fillef well before NHK--- probably after summer comps in July. If it's Tim, Sean or Alex...they need to let them know sooner so they can go to Champs Camp.

I would be thrilled if Sean Rabbit gets a GP... he was one of the highlights of 2017 Nationals for me

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Ross Miner deserves consideration as well.

(No disrespect to the other guys who also could benefit from the Skate America TBD spot. I will be happy for whoever gets it.)

I'm so happy that Max, Vincent, Grant, Adam were assigned to two (without a guarantee of two). And that Josh was assigned to one, at least.

I love that Josh's first GP back he is with Jason. :love:

:agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ugh! How could I forget Ross. Man, so many choices for that TBD.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would be thrilled if Sean Rabbit gets a GP... he was one of the highlights of 2017 Nationals for me

Is he the red head? If so, I agree he was a ton of fun and you could tell he loves to be out there.

Do we know if Ricky Dornbush is returning? I don't see his name anywhere on those lists.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is he the red head? If so, I agree he was a ton of fun and you could tell he loves to be out there.

Do we know if Ricky Dornbush is returning? I don't see his name anywhere on those lists.

Yes Sean is the redhead.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With 2 quads, maybe 3, Josh will smash Jason.

Based on practice clips? After the poor guy has been out of competition for two years. I love me some Josh, but I don't think either of them will "smash" the other.

And most importantly, seeing these two friends and competitors together, each wishing the best for each other and each bringing out the best in each other.... NHK should be great.:luv17:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know about smash but, it wouldn't surprise me to see Josh win if he go's clean. Joshua is one of the few skaters that can beat Jason, even in Components. I have seen them both perform live and back when they were Juniors, I saw Joshua beat Jason week in and week out. It will depend on Jason and his quad-quads. Even if Jason decides to try his quad, I really can't see him beating Joshua unless Joshua makes a couple of mistakes. Since Joshua has not been competing, I think it might take a couple of outings to get his groove back. Either way, I'll be happy to see them out on the ice together again.

Last edited: