2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I am SO disappointed that the beautiful Alexander Johnson doesn't have a GP assignment ☹️😫😔 I'm sort of in love with him.....uh, his skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^ Is this true? Alex doesn't have an assignment. I'm truly shocked. Alex has been in top 10 for years now and he is a beautiful skater with a ton charisma. Are you sure he's not assigned anywhere?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^^^ Is this true? Alex doesn't have an assignment. I'm truly shocked. Alex has been in top 10 for years now and he is a beautiful skater with a ton charisma. Are you sure he's not assigned anywhere?

Top 10 for Nationals means absolutely nothing when it comes to GP assignments.

He is, however, fairly high on the substitute list, as I recall.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has Max Aaron done any summer shows? I feel like I haven't him in quite a while. With his determination and internal fire, I expect him to be working very hard to get on the Olympic Team.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

His season's best in a qualifying international competition is #57. Dolensky does not have a GP, and he is #35. (For that matter, Han Yan is #31 and doesn't have a non-host spot). Both Ross & Timothy are above Johnson on the SB list, plus Josh being back & having one place thus far.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Has Max Aaron done any summer shows? I feel like I haven't him in quite a while. With his determination and internal fire, I expect him to be working very hard to get on the Olympic Team.

Yes, he did the Showtime on Ice show (no video). He is also listed for Barrett charity show. He has a tendency to be a bit invisible at this part of the year. But you will see him at the Aerial Challenge event, which is being streamed live on Facebook.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He doesn't even seem to have a fan fest thread here. :(

Really, I'm really surprised. I remember him doing that great FP a couple of years ago and came off the ice crying. He certainly got my attention that night and I'm surprised that he doesn't have a fan page here.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, he did the Showtime on Ice show (no video). He is also listed for Barrett charity show. He has a tendency to be a bit invisible at this part of the year. But you will see him at the Aerial Challenge event, which is being streamed live on Facebook.

Has Max talked about his upcoming season? I imagine he's going to keep his relatively new SP from nationals but, I can see him leaving the lion king behind.

musicfan80

Medalist
Has Max talked about his upcoming season? I imagine he's going to keep his relatively new SP from nationals but, I can see him leaving the lion king behind.

I haven't seen anything from Max about the upcoming season, but I think he's probably busy with school. I believe he graduates this year, but I would think that he would have posted a graduation photo if he had finished in May. Maybe it's this summer or December.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He doesn't even seem to have a fan fest thread here. :(

Really, I'm really surprised. I remember him doing that great FP a couple of years ago and came off the ice crying. He certainly got my attention that night and I'm surprised that he doesn't have a fan page here.
I'm actually in the process of making one for Alex and hope to have it posted tonight. :yay:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No, no word from Max yet. I assume he will have a new FS since repetition is not really his thing (with the exception of Nessun Dorma). This is all quite normal; last year we didn't get so much as a rumour about his FS until July 4, and it wasn't confirmed until he competed at Collegiates in August (and there was no video until the choppy Lombardia stream in September).

I believe he graduates this year, but I would think that he would have posted a graduation photo if he had finished in May. Maybe it's this summer or December.

I understood that he was to graduate in May. That he didn't post a picture doesn't really mean anything; this is Max we're talking about.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, thankfully for all of us starved for men's FS news, the Broadmoor Open and the Aerial Figure Skating Challenge are coming up in about 3 weeks!

We know that Josh, Emmanuel S, Max, Vincent, Jason, and Alex K will be competing in the team jump event at the Aerial Challenge; Tim D, Ryan B, and Jeremy A are team captains, so we'll get to see all of these guys jumping soon - and there will be a Facebook Live broadcast!

https://twitter.com/aerialchallenge/status/870356946859081730
https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/724045201131248:0

No word on who will compete at the Broadmoor Open yet, but many of the above guys have participated in the past. And although neither Nathan nor Adam are listed for the team jump challenge, I've heard Adam has been training a lot in Colorado, and Nathan has previously participated at Broadmoor, so maybe we'll see one or both of them there. Last year's Broadmoor Open was streamed by Pro-Event Photo; no word on this year's yet.

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/events/broadmoor/

Does this mean Jeremy Abbott might try still for the olympics???? I think Nathan is a sure thing and probably Jason because he is lucky and loved. That leaves Vincent, Adam, Max, Josh, Grant and whoever else fighitng it out for the last spot.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does this mean Jeremy Abbott might try still for the olympics???? I think Nathan is a sure thing and probably Jason because he is lucky and loved. That leaves Vincent, Adam, Max, Josh, Grant and whoever else fighitng it out for the last spot.

Jason is "lucky" because he is a hard-working, gifted and charismatic skater who performs consistently well, competition in and competition out. In other words, he makes his luck. And he is loved, at least by his fans, for those very same qualities.:agree:

I would love to see him on the Oly team, but I think the nearest thing to a lock, for better or worse, is Nathan.

Since Ryan Bradley, who is definitely retired, is coaching a team, I don't know that Jeremy's presence can be as a signal one way or the other.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Speaking of the fundraiser for the Barrett family:

In the second half of this week's edition of Ice Talk (Episode 34), Ryan Bradley really moved me :sad4: as he talked at length -- and with great eloquence, emotion, and love -- about Lucy, Jeremy, and the birth (after Lucy's leukemia was diagnosed) of their first child Watson.

Although Ryan is well-known for his irreverent sense of humor, in this case, he was speaking from the heart about his dear friends. Extremely touching and uplifting :ghug:.

Audrey Weisiger and Ryan spoke to Jackie Wong also about how they put their heads together to organize the July 11 fundraiser in Fort Collins, Colorado, and how the skating community is rallying around the Barretts.
Among other things, Audrey and Ryan remarked that when they reached out to skaters to ask them to perform, everyone immediately gave positive responses. For example: Max said Yes without even asking Ryan when or where. Jason said Yes when Audrey called him in Hawaii. Mirai and Angela also said Yes without hesitation. Etc., etc.

(FYI, Jackie asked whether the show will be live-streamed.
When Audrey said Yes, it was not clear to me whether or not she meant that a donation to the cause will allow access to the live-streaming?? If so, totally understandable, given that it is a fundraiser.
Plus she seemed to refer to the show being recorded [for fundraising sales of videos after the fact, I believe] ... with the quality of the streaming not being as high. Again, understandable.

When word of the show first started circulating, I had put initial details (full cast, etc.) in Max's thread.
And I seem to recall that the show has been mentioned in other threads. IIRC, IN had an article at some point that mentioned it.
Per GS rules, I am not linking to the GoFundMe page.)

Congratulations to Richard Visker Dornbush III, who is about to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree magna cum laude from UC San Diego.

His major was Physics, with a specialization in Computational Physics :bow:.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Jason is "lucky" because he is a hard-working, gifted and charismatic skater who performs consistently well, competition in and competition out. In other words, he makes his luck. And he is loved, at least by his fans, for those very same qualities.:agree:

I would love to see him on the Oly team, but I think the nearest thing to a lock, for better or worse, is Nathan.

Since Ryan Bradley, who is definitely retired, is coaching a team, I don't know that Jeremy's presence can be as a signal one way or the other.....

Jeremy has yet to decide, he's been considering it though, you'll just have to wait and see.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy has yet to decide, he's been considering it though, you'll just have to wait and see.

If Jeremy comes back for Nationals i think it will be for a farewell skate to be honest. A 31 year old who's taken the last couple years off doesn't have much of a chance to make the Olympic team. He wasn't really that competitive the last year or two he skated internationally since he didn't have a consistent quad and being Jeremy he couldn't be counted on but since he's taken time off Men's skating in terms of quads has gone to a new level that leaves him behind even further then when he left.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If Jeremy comes back for Nationals i think it will be for a farewell skate to be honest. A 31 year old who's taken the last couple years off doesn't have much of a chance to make the Olympic team. He wasn't really that competitive the last year or two he skated internationally since he didn't have a consistent quad and being Jeremy he couldn't be counted on but since he's taken time off Men's skating in terms of quads has gone to a new level that leaves him behind even further then when he left.

Well, he won the MWO in 2015 and has been skating better than ever, so you can judge what you can't see and I'll judge what I can. YMMV. He's got quads, none of the US men are super consistent, and there are US men making podium that have yet to land a quad, PCS is a thing too you know it's not all about GOE. BTW...he's 32 now. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Well, he won the MWO in 2015 and has been skating better than ever, so you can judge what you can't see and I'll judge what I can. YMMV. He's got quads, none of the US men are super consistent, and there are US men making podium that have yet to land a quad, PCS is a thing too you know it's not all about GOE. BTW...he's 32 now. Have a nice day.

And for what it's worth (and I think it's worth something or I probably wouldn't have mentioned it ;) ), although the odds are certainly not in the "comeback older skater's" favor, look at what Deanna Stellato / Nathan Bartolomay and Ashley Cain / Timothy LeDuc did at Nationals. Yes, I realize US pairs is not at the level of US men's right now, but still never count someone out--especially someone as talented and successful as Jeremy has been.

Quite frankly, if he's up for a comeback, I'm up for watching his beautiful skating and I wish him well!