Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement

bramweld

Record Breaker
Oh, so you know him personally, and he told you that? That's good for you. Otherwise, all of this is just your personal assumptions, which most probably have nothing to do with reality.

I did not make this up. It's clearly stated by Zhulin in one of his earlier interviews about them. Do you think it's for nothing that Tarasova states that they are looking for a new attitute in Nikita Katsalapov? Katsalapov is talented but he has his issues as do many personalities in ice dance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
No, you don't? Hardly anyone ever respected his efforts, and most of the time he was shafted to the side, and his mistakes were because 'he wasn't good enough', 'he couldn't catch up to her', or any other reason. But when Elena made mistakes it was just misfortune, or that she was out of luck. Also, way to go putting the blame on HIM regarding her skating skills regressing, that's really respectful, to say the least, but I never expected anything less.

I said this even before the partnership ended, and we're still on a limbo about that, but people were going to put the blame on him. It happened time and time again. I don't touch on Nikita or Morozov, but the blame was on them before. And now it's on Ruslan. Elena is never the one to be blamed. Just, never.:disapp:

Well my dear, I am not you, I can only speak for myself. So I am saying I respected their efforts, inclusive of his. I watch their Carmen and Frida frequently even today. Sorry to disappoint you, but I did think he had his moments and most importantly they were Russian National Champions in 2015. In the beginning almost everyone was saying he was beneath her with few exceptions. The real issue is Lena Ilinykh would be highly dangerous with the right coaching system and partner and many fans of other teams would really rather see her fail. So please, or puhlease, let's not be hypocritical here. Let's just try to be respectful. Why wouldn't we not want to appreciate a man for his efforts on hearing of his retirement? What other dignified response is there?

EDIT: As for blame, the time for that is past. What I'm saying here is the partnership was not sustainable for reasons that resided in both parties. Some within their control others not. Period. That argument is dead and gone. None of what I've said today is news for persons who closely followed Lena and Nikita in their early years.

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
No, you don't? Hardly anyone ever respected his efforts, and most of the time he was shafted to the side, and his mistakes were because 'he wasn't good enough', 'he couldn't catch up to her', or any other reason. But when Elena made mistakes it was just misfortune, or that she was out of luck. Also, way to go putting the blame on HIM regarding her skating skills regressing, that's really respectful, to say the least, but I never expected anything less.

I said this even before the partnership ended, and we're still on a limbo about that, but people were going to put the blame on him. It happened time and time again. I don't touch on Nikita or Morozov, but the blame was on them before. And now it's on Ruslan. Elena is never the one to be blamed. Just, never.:disapp:

And I have seen both. I'm only on GS when it comes to general skating forums, but Elena has sure gotten her share of criticism and rude assumptions. Being overweight, lazy and not committed enough are some of the evergreens. And if my memory serves me well, bramweld is one of the folks who have been posting in the IZ fanfest for several years defending the partnership against folks who complained about Ruslan and the couple being mismatched.

Barb

Record Breaker
Morozov, Nikita, and Elena, all of it is old news. Nikita's issues stem from a bigger issue his own personal insecurities. Zhulin would try to tell him if Lena does something better than you it's a credit to the team, but he could never get that. He would put his efforts into always beating her technically and artistically rather than working on his own unique weaknesses like the twizzles and lifts. He went to Morozov clearly intent on improving and ensuring that he wouldn't be overshadowed by Lena and for years she was ignored until the Olympic season. During that season IMHO, he looked like a man boy trying to skate with a mature woman. So that partnership though having its moments was not sustainable.

As for Ruslan, I respect his efforts, and I will always appreciate Frida and Carmen, but it was to be expected that her skating would regress with him, he is not up to her level. Sinitsina, would have to improve, Nikita, is much stronger than her, ID doesn't happen in a vacuum. Ilinykh's acting skills cannot be matched on ice and her technique is spot on. With all the clamourings of her being out of shape she was really motoring it at Russian Nationals this year, even at the end of the program when Ruslan was struggling to keep up she was still powering through. She needs a bigger, stronger and more mature partner. While I may be a bit fixated on Drozd right now, the fact is he's still a kid and it shows behind the eyes. Lena needs someone a bit more mysterious like her. I want a more mature, sophisticated style for her going forwards. I hope things work out well for both her and Ruslan.

The thing is Elena is not in position to be exigent. A man with great skating skills, presence, mature, sohpisticated personality :rolleye: . Sorry but she would be lucky finding other Ruslan.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The thing is Elena is not in position to be exigent. A man with great skating skills, presence, mature, sohpisticated personality :rolleye: . Sorry but she would be lucky finding other Ruslan.

Wow, let us know how you really feel. See what I'm saying, folks. Moving on, all the best to Ruslan, I think I've digressed from the original intentions of this thread which was to wish Ruslan and Lena all the best with their future endeavours.

Last edited:

tars

Record Breaker
I remember a gala at one of 2015 GPs...
After Ex and some group choreo, all the skaters started messing around the ice, having fun, talking, socializing in smaller groups - Ilinykh left Zhiganshin alone to perform some shenanigans with some male skaters she knew.
For like 2 or 3 minutes poor dude stood in the middle of a rink clapping with plastered smile looking around in her direction, while she was having fun of her life, completely ignoring her partner.
It was not only rude and impolite, but unprofessional as well: dance is all about chemistry, building some aura at competitions - treating your partner like that in front of the public and cameras, you're hurting your team's whole image.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Such a shame. It is never nice when a sportsperson has to retire through injury.

So, I wish Ruslan all the best for his future away from competition.

But, this case is even more upsetting because we are talking about half of a sporting partnership. And his partner is one of the best Ice Dancers of her generation.

I really hope Elena can find a new partner quickly. Specifically one that she gels with immediately. Because she is far too good to be on the sidelines at any time, never mind an Olympic season.

you can imagine how it was for Nikita to see his former girlfriend (Elena) dating their coach (Morozov) right under his eyes :drama:
Always bad to mix professional with personal relationships.:shocked:

Agree.

But, it can sometimes work. Tatiana Volosozhar was engaged to her former skating partner, Stanislav Morozov. And then when he retired, Stanislav became coach for Tanya and her new partner, Maxim Trankov. And he has been coaching them ever since.

Fast forward a few years, and Tanya and Max are now married and expecting their first child.

Despite all this, there has never appeared to be any problems between them. In fact, they all seem to get on really well.

I suppose it all depends on the personalities of the people involved.

But, I still wouldn't advise getting romantically involved with either your partner or your coach. Because if you split up off ice, it can become VERY messy. As Nikita, Elena and Nikolai have shown.

CaroLiza_fan

bramweld

Record Breaker
I remember a gala at one of 2015 GPs...
After Ex and some group choreo, all the skaters started messing around the ice, having fun, talking, socializing in smaller groups - Ilinykh left Zhiganshin alone to perform some shenanigans with some male skaters she knew.
For like 2 or 3 minutes poor dude stood in the middle of a rink clapping with plastered smile looking around in her direction, while she was having fun of her life, completely ignoring her partner.
It was not only rude and impolite, but unprofessional as well: dance is all about chemistry, building some aura at competitions - treating your partner like that in front of the public and cameras, you're hurting your team's whole image.

She was having fun with a friend of Ruslan's Smirnov. Why was Ruslan so anti-social, he could have also joined in the fun? You see there are always more ways at looking at things rather than always pointing the finger.

Ender

Match Penalty
It might be fate. But toxic partnership might result in best records. Anyone remember Grishuk and Platov? They hated each other like hell. I have to say Platov was a man of great patience. But without his crazy partner, he would never be a legend.
I/K might have come far had they stayed together. It's a big what if now.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I did not make this up. It's clearly stated by Zhulin in one of his earlier interviews about them. Do you think it's for nothing that Tarasova states that they are looking for a new attitute in Nikita Katsalapov? Katsalapov is talented but he has his issues as do many personalities in ice dance.

I'm pretty sure that I've read every Zhuline's interview in past 10 years at least, and I don't seem to remember such accusations from him. In fact, Zhulin said that both Elena and Nikita thought that they were so unique that they don't need to work hard, they both had problems with work ethics and thought that they know things better than their coach.
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/458346
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/806345/

HE also said that their transfer to Morozov will be the first of the many. Seeing the situation now, it was an underestimation.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
In fact, Zhulin said that both Elena and Nikita thought that they were so unique that they don't need to work hard, they both had problems with work ethics
HE also said that their transfer to Morozov will be the first of the many. Seeing the situation now, it was an underestimation.

Thus says the coach who has rather questionable work ethic himself according to a French team who used to train with him ;)

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Daniel Eaton looks similar to Patel. Is one of best Twizzlers in world, and has duel US and Canadian Citizenship
She used to skate in Canton

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that I've read every Zhuline's interview in past 10 years at least, and I don't seem to remember such accusations from him. In fact, Zhulin said that both Elena and Nikita thought that they were so unique that they don't need to work hard, they both had problems with work ethics and thought that they know things better than their coach.
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/458346
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/806345/

Never you mind love, its old news and it won't change the facts will it? :shrug:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
actually i always think elena is overrated...just my opinion though...
I've always found Ruslan to be underrated. People are only fixated on Ilinykh / Katsalapov shoulda, coulda, woulda but I wonder how he would grow with Victoria Sinitsina further on if not for that swap. People seem to ignore everything about another team that also split up almost completely I noticed. :slink: He used to get thrown aside.

I for once thought that I/K were overhyped around and after Sochi. Obviously they were very good, achieved some dreams but I did not see that ''coming up domination'' of them

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I've always found Ruslan to be underrated. People are only fixated on Ilinykh / Katsalapov shoulda, coulda, woulda but I wonder how he would grow with Victoria Sinitsina further on if not for that swap. People seem to ignore that team that also split up almost completely I noticed. :slink: He used to get thrown aside.

I for once thought that I/K were overhyped around and after Sochi. Obviously they were very good, achieved some dreams but I did not see that ''coming up domination'' of them

I thought Sinitsina/Zhiganshin had some promise. Didn't they come 8th at the Worlds? I'll have to check that...

ETA: 7th at 2014 Worlds. Yes, definitely some promise. ;) I think she might have made a mistake in breaking up with him.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Thus says the coach who has rather questionable work ethic himself according to a French team who used to train with him ;)

Yes, his work ethic is also under question. Even Bobrova hinted at the fact after the 'Birds' fiasco. Never said he's perfect. But we were talking about his interviews, that's why I posted that.

Anyway, the situation is very sad. Two potentionally great skaters will never reach their full potential because of their personal issues.

Mattieu

Medalist
Yes, his work ethic is also under question. Even Bobrova hinted at the fact after the 'Birds' fiasco. Never said he's perfect.

At least Bobrova and H/K have had the sense to get an outside choreographer for the Olympic season.
I dread to think what Zhulin will give S/K.
Do they have a technical coach to work on Nikita's twizzles?
Bad programs and twizzle problems could bury them forever, sad for an OGM

Snow63

Record Breaker
At least Bobrova and H/K have had the sense to get an outside choreographer for the Olympic season.
I dread to think what Zhulin will give S/K.
Do they have a technical coach to work on Nikita's twizzles?
Bad programs and twizzle problems could bury them forever, sad for an OGM

I'm very sceptical about Poklitaru's choreography for Ekaterina and Dmitri, to be honest.