2017-18 Int'l Figure Skating Competitions | Golden Skate

2017-18 Int'l Figure Skating Competitions

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Communication No. 2092 Announcement of International Single & Pair Skating, Ice Dance and Synchronized Skating Competitions 2017/18

In accordance with ISU Regulation 2016, Rule 104, paragraph 15, the following competitions have been announced. (See also Rule 107, paragraph 17 - ISU sanctioned events). This Communication does not replace announcements according to Rule 112.

The latest version of the calendar will also be published on the ISU website.

Sackie

Medalist
Just wondering - In the past in an Olympic Year the Top CAN and USA Olympic Team members do not do 4CC but save themselves for the Olympics. However this year with 4CC being in Tapei and the Olympics in Korea do you think some may choose to do 4CC as a tune up to the Olympics, especially if they didn't do their best at Nationals? Or is it even possible the Federations may hold a skate off at 4CC between some also ran contenders before naming the full Olympic Team.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Just wondering - In the past in an Olympic Year the Top CAN and USA Olympic Team members do not do 4CC but save themselves for the Olympics. However this year with 4CC being in Tapei and the Olympics in Korea do you think some may choose to do 4CC as a tune up to the Olympics, especially if they didn't do their best at Nationals? Or is it even possible the Federations may hold a skate off at 4CC between some also ran contenders before naming the full Olympic Team.

I was wondering that but Olympics are starting February 9 and this is quite early since the team competition is happening. So I don't think we'll see many top USA an CAN members :/

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm still missing the obvious, but why would a Belgian competition be called the Finlandia cup?

edit: okay, I *was* missing the very, very obvious. :biggrin: http://www.finlandia.be/ It's the name of the skating rink in Gullegem. :palmf:

Also, looks like the French GP has gotten yet another new name. "Internationaux de France". Setting a record there for getting a new name every season? ;-)

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
But what about those who will not be doing the Team Event. I can see CAN sending Alaine if she is 3rd at Nationals, especially if she has another iffy showing at Nationals. If she were able to do well at 4CC for a change and medal (which she would be very capable of doing) it also would put her in a better light for worlds, especially if some of the top skaters take a break after the Olympics.

sarama

Medalist

I do expect more skaters than usual to do both especially if they train in Asia. For skaters based in North America it's still problematic, unless they choose to stay in Asia the whole time, like the US skaters stayed in Austria for a while before Sochi. Going back and forth in two weeks would be madness IMHO.
Regarding a skate off this close to the Olympics would be a bad idea, the athletes would be under enormous pressure for 4CC and then won't have enough time to recover and peak at the Games. Totally unrelated, but for example Marchei/Hotarek said they are glad Italy has two pairs spots because they can prepare the season entirely around the Olympics without the added stress of qualifying. We often underestimate the toll of extreme domestic competition, but it definitely plays a big role: just look at how the Russian (Evgenia doesn't count), the American and the Japanese girls struggled to peak at Worlds, while the Canadians and also Tursynbaeva were at their best.

amc987

On the Ice
I think that even for skaters who live/ train in Asia, it's a bad idea to try to do both. Kanako Murakami skated so well at 4CC and then was pretty mediocre in Sochi in 2014. That could happen to any of the Asian skaters this year. Or, worse, one could get injured at 4CC or in PyeongChang with fatigue being a contributing factor.

As others have said, I doubt that the US/ Canada will send any of their top prospects to 4CC to ensure that they're healthy and rested for the Games. 4CC really should be moved in the calendar or scrapped altogether during Olympic years.

Nathan13

Medalist
Anyone else find it ironic that Australia's GP doesn't have Pairs, when they had the Junior World Pairs Champion?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyone else find it ironic that Australia's GP doesn't have Pairs, when they had the Junior World Pairs Champion?

We didn't know we would when we bid for the event!

Heck, I think the event was bid for and won before Katia and Harley even competed together for the first time.

Besides which, I would be very, very shocked if they stayed Junior this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But what about those who will not be doing the Team Event. I can see CAN sending Alaine if she is 3rd at Nationals, especially if she has another iffy showing at Nationals. If she were able to do well at 4CC for a change and medal (which she would be very capable of doing) it also would put her in a better light for worlds, especially if some of the top skaters take a break after the Olympics.

i think every situation may be different.. i did an analysis for canada in the canadian thread... IMHO the team event skater will NOT go to 4cc... Alaine could go because honestly, to get 3 ladies at 4CC without the top two for Canada may be a stretch... who else? Larkyn? WHO ELSE? Is mallet back on track?

But yeah.. have a read at my analysis in the canadian thread... maybe you have seen it already... but it's most likely that canada will send the B team to 4CC and maybe in some cases, keep skaters who may have to sub in case of injury for the games out of 4CC.. for instance, it could be very well the case that Alaine is named sub on the team event (assuming the top two girls are splitting...) then if one is injured, do you get the top girl left skate both (i would) or do you split with a sub.... most likely to happen in dance or pairs etc...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
We didn't know we would when we bid for the event!

Heck, I think the event was bid for and won before Katia and Harley even competed together for the first time.

Besides which, I would be very, very shocked if they stayed Junior this season.

all good reasons but it's still ironic ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i think every situation may be different.. i did an analysis for canada in the canadian thread... IMHO the team event skater will NOT go to 4cc... Alaine could go because honestly, to get 3 ladies at 4CC without the top two for Canada may be a stretch... who else? Larkyn? WHO ELSE? Is mallet back on track?

But yeah.. have a read at my analysis in the canadian thread... maybe you have seen it already... but it's most likely that canada will send the B team to 4CC and maybe in some cases, keep skaters who may have to sub in case of injury for the games out of 4CC.. for instance, it could be very well the case that Alaine is named sub on the team event (assuming the top two girls are splitting...) then if one is injured, do you get the top girl left skate both (i would) or do you split with a sub.... most likely to happen in dance or pairs etc...

Sarah Tamura maybe? She's senior eligible.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Olympic-year 4CCs very much are B-team events for all of the big countries; not sure why you're acting like Canada is so special. The US did the B-team thing last time too.

I don't see why those who are going to the Olympics should do 4CC as well if there are perfectly capable alternates. Of course, not every country has that luxury.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Olympic-year 4CCs very much are B-team events for all of the big countries; not sure why you're acting like Canada is so special. The US did the B-team thing last time too.

I don't see why those who are going to the Olympics should do 4CC as well if there are perfectly capable alternates. Of course, not every country has that luxury.

nobody is acting like Canada is so special... however, what is special about Canada this year is that they qualified 3 skaters/teams per event in all but the men, and that they are in contention for the team gold.. so there is more strategy going into who could be sent to 4CC as Skate Canada may want to keep substitutes fresh if they needed to step up at the last minute and compete in the team event....

also, the fact that many qualified for canada, makes it more interesting for 4CC as UNLIKE other countries, we do not have in Canada, the same kind of depth... so many men who would normally not get to an ISU championship will get that chance...

finally, the US often sends the B team to 4CC but it's not the case for Canada, exactly because the lack of depth... that's why some are wondering.

i am going to take a sip of wine and ignore the tone of your post...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re 2018 Team Challenge Cup:

Las Vegas will be the location -- if DJ Romeo :dance2: is to be believed.

As a USFS regular, he probably is a reliable source, IMO. He once again will be working Skate America, U.S. Nats, etc.​