Torvill & Dean work with Fear & Gibson, LON | Golden Skate

Torvill & Dean work with Fear & Gibson, LON

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Both Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean have been working with current GB Dance champions Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson (15th in Europe, 22nd at Worlds) in North London this morning at Alexandra Palace Ice rink where they train, as Chris Dean has been over from Colorado since Monday. Looks like they are choreographing for this talented young British couple. Lovely pic here. :luv17:

https://m.facebook.com/LilahFearLew...0650.239397349492875/1224491947650072/?type=3

TMC

Record Breaker
Both Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean have been working with current GB Dance champions Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson (15th in Europe, 22nd at Worlds) in North London this morning at Alexandra Palace Ice rink where they train, as Chris Dean has been over from Colorado since Monday. Looks like they are choreographing for this talented young British couple. Lovely pic here. :luv17:

https://m.facebook.com/LilahFearLew...0650.239397349492875/1224491947650072/?type=3

I love this team! Just thinking of Lewis' adorable grin makes me smile :laugh:
Do you know if they're going senior for the Olympic season?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

They were Senior last season, their first season together, after Lewis switched from Singles. He has just
turned 23, Lilah will be 18 next month. I just hope they get some good assignments, they won Medals in Challengers last year. I wish they could compete at a GP, but GB is not a host country. :(

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Ahh of course - I seemed to remember they did JGP last season but I must have had them confused with some other team :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ahh of course - I seemed to remember they did JGP last season but I must have had them confused with some other team :)

Don't worry, you're not the only one who can get confused. I am forever getting confused as to which of the Fear sisters is which.

So, just to check: we're talking about the middle sister in this thread, right?

I always get Georgia being the eldest right, for the simple reason that she isn't competing any more. But I keep forgetting which of the younger sisters is Lilah and which is Sasha.

I was impressed with both Fear sisters and their partners last season. So, it is a great coup that Lilah and Lewis to be working with such a successful team. And I don't just mean successful as competitors in their own right - I mean as coaches / choreographers as well!

All the best to them!

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
CaroLiza_fan, I don't think Georgia ever competed in Skating? She is a middle distance/cross country runner as her chosen sport, and studying at Dartmouth College in America. Sasha has competed at Cross Country running aswell, at school level. A talented trio of sisters!!! :agree:

ETA: Yes, Lilah middle sister, Sasha youngest, who was 15 yesterday. :)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, I don't think Georgia ever competed in Skating? She is a middle distance/cross country runner as her chosen sport, and studying at Dartmouth College in America. Sasha has competed at Cross Country running aswell, at school level. A talented trio of sisters!!! :agree:

Georgia did use to compete as a skater as well as a runner. All three sisters started off as Singles skaters. But, whereas the younger girls switched to Ice Dance, Georgia decided to concentrate on her running.

Here is the post I put up when I found out that there were actually three sisters:

I'm an idiot. :slink:

When I saw the entry list, I thought Sasha was the girl I have been referring to all season as "Fear with no Payne". And it was only there now when I read your comment that I realised that she is not.

Sasha is actually the younger sister of the girl that skated with Jacob Payne. :drama:

I just did a bit of digging, and there are actually three Fear sisters who have all skated competitively:

• Georgia is the eldest sister (19). She skated in Singles, but I can't find any results for her after the 2013-14 season. She is now a competitive runner.

• Lilah is the middle sister (17). She skated Singles until the end of the 2013-14 season. During that same season, she started doing Ice Dance with Jacob Payne. At the start of this season, she changed partner to Lewis Gibson.

• Sasha is the youngest sister (14). She skated Singles until the end of the 2014-15 season. During the 2013-14 season, she started doing Ice Dance with Jack Osman. In the middle of this season, she changed partner to Elliot Verburg.

It's interesting to see that the sisters tend to make changes at the same time:

• The two elder girls both stopped doing Singles at the end of 2013-14.
  • The two younger girls both started doing Ice Dance at the start of 2013-14.
  • The two younger girls both changed partners in the 2016-17 season.

Lilah and Lewis won Senior Nationals this year, while Sasha and Elliot won Junior Nationals.

I wonder which of the girls will have the upper hand when they eventually get to compete against each other...?

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SASHA AND ELLIOT!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

And here is where I found all this out - their Rink Results Profiles:

Georgia FEAR
Lilah FEAR
Sasha FEAR

Sorry for correcting you. But, it's amazing how multi-talented these girls are!

ETA: Yes, Lilah middle sister, Sasha youngest, who was 15 yesterday.

Thank you for confirming which way round the younger girls are. I am awful with names!

And thanks for the heads up about it being Sasha's birthday yesterday.

HAPPY (belated) 15[SUP]th[/SUP] BIRTHDAY SASHA!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb:

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I think T and D will be great inspiration for the British couple.Though I honestly don't know them the comment by La Rhumba suggests they already have skatedin seniors and are ranked 22nd at worlds this year. Perhaps we all tend to focus on the contenders and forget the non top ten competitors?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sasha is skating with George Waddell.

Elliot is having a tryout with Tish Marsh.

Flamin' 'eck! Is it any wonder I find it hard to keep up with which sister is which when they keep changing partners! :drama:

It's a shame, because I thought Sasha and Elliot had potential. But hey!

What is concerning me is the constant chopping and changing that seems to be going on amongst the young British Pairs Skaters and Ice Dancers nowadays. The partnerships don't seem to last long enough for them to establish themselves on the international stage.

And that is not good for the future of these categories in the UK. Because with all the cutbacks that are going on, government funding is only going to sports and sportspeople that are expected to win Olympic Medals.

The other problem, of course, is that foreign guys are having to be brought in to partner the British girls. And that brings up the issue of getting citizenship so as to be eligibile for the Olympics.

But, this is getting too pessimistic.

All the best to Sasha and George, Tish and Elliot, and whoever Sabrina and Anton end up with!

CaroLiza_fan

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
George has citizenship. He was looking to skate for GB.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think T and D will be great inspiration for the British couple.Though I honestly don't know them the comment by La Rhumba suggests they already have skatedin seniors and are ranked 22nd at worlds this year. Perhaps we all tend to focus on the contenders and forget the non top ten competitors?

Here they are for those who have never seen them skate. Free Dance at Europeans - 14th in FD, climbing 5 places after placing 19th in SD, and finishing 15th Overall. One of my very fave FDs of the season. :love:

https://youtu.be/4P6IJIETevk

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Elliot is having a tryout with Tish Marsh.

Elliot Verburg in Canton for a tryout.

Sasha is skating with George Waddell.

Thank you so much for all the information. Much appreciated. :agree:

George has citizenship. He was looking to skate for GB.

That's a relief to know we (GB) won't be losing another talented Ice Dancer after Olivia Smart, Tiffany Zahorski, and Molly Lanaghan, now skating for Canada with Dimitre Razgulayevs.

Thank you for all the replies and info on this thread. :)

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Georgia did use to compete as a skater as well as a runner. All three sisters started off as Singles skaters. But, whereas the younger girls switched to Ice Dance, Georgia decided to concentrate on her running.

Here is the post I put up when I found out that there were actually three sisters:

And here is where I found all this out - their Rink Results Profiles:

Georgia FEAR
Lilah FEAR
Sasha FEAR

Sorry for correcting you. But, it's amazing how multi-talented these girls are!

Thank you for confirming which way round the younger girls are. I am awful with names!

And thanks for the heads up about it being Sasha's birthday yesterday.

HAPPY (belated) 15[SUP]th[/SUP] BIRTHDAY SASHA!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb:

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you so much, and a pleasure to be corrected! So happy to have a chance to chat about British Ice Skaters......all in one family!! :laugh:

Thought you might be interested in this report from last year showing how much progress Sasha made in such a short time, passing her Gold Star Free Dance at 13!

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index....e-youngest-to-pass-gold-star-free-dance-test/

Lewis & Lilah had a try out suggested by NISA UK, then got together after the British Championships in Sheffield in December 2015. Lewis did his last Singles comp there and then teamed up with Lilah. They first performed together at a charity Gala, and already looked good together.

https://youtu.be/6kPQL-xe0sI

Their first competition, which they won, was at the Streatham Open in June 2016, and first international at Lake Placid in July, where they came 11th. Then mysteriously, or because they were scored fairly, came 2nd at Lombardia Trophy a month later!

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Flamin' 'eck! Is it any wonder I find it hard to keep up with which sister is which when they keep changing partners! :drama:

It's a shame, because I thought Sasha and Elliot had potential. But hey!

What is concerning me is the constant chopping and changing that seems to be going on amongst the young British Pairs Skaters and Ice Dancers nowadays. The partnerships don't seem to last long enough for them to establish themselves on the international stage.

And that is not good for the future of these categories in the UK. Because with all the cutbacks that are going on, government funding is only going to sports and sportspeople that are expected to win Olympic Medals.

The other problem, of course, is that foreign guys are having to be brought in to partner the British girls. And that brings up the issue of getting citizenship so as to be eligibile for the Olympics.

But, this is getting too pessimistic.

All the best to Sasha and George, Tish and Elliot, and whoever Sabrina and Anton end up with!

CaroLiza_fan

I know exactly what you mean. I think Sasha & Elliot's skating style matched well and it's a shame they have changed partners. They also achieved a huge amount in half a season, both having started last season with different partners.
When I first read the info yesterday, I thought at first that Sasha may have decided to take a break to concentrate on school exams. But it may be because of the heights and a better physical match? George is taller than Elliot and Tish is shorter than Sasha. Anyway, good luck to all, and if Tish & Elliot do become a team, that'll be 3 good Junior couples we will have with Emily Rose Brown & James Hernandez, who Nick Buckland did choreo for last season. Make that 4 with TeamJellie, Ellie O'Connell & Josh Tarry, moving up to Juniors this season.

I'm used to feeling disappointment as my fave couples split up in Dance, but do agree with you, a period of stability is needed. (Though sometimes it's for sad reasons, as Elliot's first partner, the pocket rocket that is Gwen Sletten, had to retire for health reasons). :(
But several promising Novice/Junior couples have split up in recent seasons in Britain.