skimpy outfits on female beach volleyball players? | Golden Skate

skimpy outfits on female beach volleyball players?

Johar

Medalist
This was asked on another forum, or at least brought up, but why can the men get by wearing the long shorts but the females are required to wear far skimpier outfits?

Who decided the shorts had to be very skimpy?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
So funny that you bring that up! I mentioned that to Mr. RG that I didn't see why the women had to dress in bathing suits and he said I was being a bit prudish! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Johar said:
Who decided the shorts had to be very skimpy?

No doubt some sixty plus males who wanted to get their jollies! :D :eek:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact, my only complaint is that the American women's gymnastic team wasn't also required to dress like that. ;) However, other than Catalina Ponor and Anna Pavlova, I have no desire whatsoever to see any of the foreign gymnasts dress like that. At least not at these olympics. (Other than C.P. and A.P, there really wouldn't have been anything to see).

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't really have a problem with it. They like them, or I don't imagine they would wear them. And....it is BEACH volleyball...lol. But, thank goodness the men don't wear something like that....I just don't like a man in speedos!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I guess I'm the party pooper in the group. I would much rather see them in something that looks more comfortable to wear.

My real objection, though, is that the rules say they have to wear bikini's . I would be livid with a rule like that. If it is truly a sport then the competitors should be able to wear whatever outfit they can perform their best in - within common sense limits of course. If Walsh and May want to wear Tee shirts and shorts, they should be able to.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I felt sorry for the male platform divers in their speedos. The cameras caught a nice underwater shot of the Australian diver last night cracking a "smile", and he didn't use his lips.........I felt sorry for him........ :eek: 42

Vash01

Medalist
I don't understand why those skimpy outfits are a requirement for the women. It's sexism, pure and simple.

guinevere

Final Flight
I can sort of understand about the tops - less material to get all bunched up as you dive in the sand - and the tops are more like sports bras than bikini tops. But the bottoms are ridiculous. Every time a team gets ready for a new serve, all 4 players have to pick their wedge - kinda kills the "sexy" angle of the outfits, IMO.

I do think it's ridiculous that the women have to wear such different uniforms than the men for the same sport. even for indoor volleyball, the women have to wear these clingy short-shorts. they're not as bad as bikini bottoms, but they're definitely different than what the men wear. In fact, I think the only women's sport where they actually get to wear sensible uniforms is softball. Probably because those ladies would stomp anyone who told them to wear skimpy clothes :laugh:

guinevere

Germanice

On the Ice
I don't mind "skimpy" outfits on female beach volleyball players, as long the men would wear the same, without tops, of course ... :love: :D

BTW, there're two entire fascinating threads at FSU on male "smiles", butts etc. ;)

Anke

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
A.H.Black said:
I guess I'm the party pooper in the group. I would much rather see them in something that looks more comfortable to wear.
I assure you, with all the sand and the sun burning there's nothing much more comfortable to play beach volleyball than a bikini.

I doubt the players are the least bit worried about bikinis, they're much more interested in playing well and win their matches LOL Besides, speaking as a female, what else are you supposed to wear on the beach?

eliza88

On the Ice
In my book, I saw no reason for the men to wear shirts! Then again, no shirts and bathing trunks is my outfit of choice for those fine muscled athletic men!

I think the women should be able to wear the little shorts at least, that way their bottoms wouldn't keep falling out--the track ladies seem to have a choice of briefs, shorts, unitards, etc.

eliza88

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
What the men wear.
I would die the day I had to play beach volleyball in shorts and t-shirt :eek:

If people are worried about women having to wear "skimpy" outfits and men wear shorts and t-shirt... I think you are doing the wrong campaign. You should be promoting men to be wearing less clothes instead of saying the women should wear more :D :p

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, this is kind of a naughty comment but I sure wouldn't like getting all that sand in personal places. ugh :eek:

guinevere

Final Flight
Grgranny said:
Well, this is kind of a naughty comment but I sure wouldn't like getting all that sand in personal places. ugh :eek:
That's what I kept thinking everytime one of those ladies would take a dive in the sand!

mpal2

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
If people are worried about women having to wear "skimpy" outfits and men wear shorts and t-shirt... I think you are doing the wrong campaign. You should be promoting men to be wearing less clothes instead of saying the women should wear more :D :p

ITA. My rights are being violated! I want equal drool time. :p

My new battle cry is "Need men with more skin!"