2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first JGP, in Brisbane AUS, starts on Aug 23. The entries for the first event are due about a month before the event, and the rosters are usually released shortly after that. So we should see the Brisbane entries somewhere around the end of July, and then the entries for each event after that every week.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
so excited to see yuna! nobody talks about her but I really like her and her skating. I am most excited to see her and alina(alina for different reasons....)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh right, I forgot, according to you, I am supposed to just be grateful that the big countries and the ISU condescend to allow us to exist... :rolleye:

4everchan said no such thing. He pointed out that maybe you should be grateful to Russia for releasing Katia. :rolleye:

Last edited:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I don't understand why the jsf didn't have nhk invite shoma to the NHK trophy since he trains in japan and it would not be much travel for him, and have yuzuru get a north American assignment since he trains there. If the only reason they do it like this is because nhk wanted the cash cow I think it's a pretty dumb way to tire out their athletes with travel time.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't understand why the jsf didn't have nhk invite shoma to the NHK trophy since he trains in japan

Maybe Yuzuru selected his own events. (That is the norm with World Champions. I don't think we should assume otherwise unless he states otherwise).

And maybe both he and the Japanese Fed would like Yuzuru to get off to a strong start during the Olympic season.

Throughout Yuzuru's entire regular GP career (all the events prior to the Final), he has only won regular GP events in two locations. (Three at NHK and one at Rostelecom). Also, one would think that he will likely stay in Japan after NHK as he would have to travel there for the Final anyway.

TerpsichoreFS

Final Flight
Maybe Yuzuru selected his own events. (That is the norm with World Champions. I don't think we should assume otherwise unless he states otherwise).

And maybe both he and the Japanese Fed would like Yuzuru to get off to a strong start during the Olympic season.

Throughout Yuzuru's entire regular GP career (all the events prior to the Final), he has only won regular GP events in two locations. (Three at NHK and one at Rostelecom). Also, one would think that he will likely stay in Japan after NHK as he would have to travel there for the Final anyway.

In that case it is Yuzuru's judgment I question. OK if he absolutely wants nhk, but surely SC (or SA) would have agreed to have him? He's not 18 anymore, and it makes a difference for jetlag. And now both Japanese skaters get travel time x2.

You're right about the final, but even then as NHK is not the last GP it will cut his training. And you don't need 2 good GP events. Everyone was already crowning him after gpf 2015.

Edit: I realize I sound harsh. I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence. I'm sure those decisions are very thought out even if I don't understand them

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no, imagine having to travel far to competitions. Oh dear, I'm sure Hanyu is the only skater ever to have that problem. I'm sure it's not a problem for other country skaters at all. Diddums. :sarcasm:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand why the jsf didn't have nhk invite shoma to the NHK trophy since he trains in japan and it would not be much travel for him, and have yuzuru get a north American assignment since he trains there. If the only reason they do it like this is because nhk wanted the cash cow I think it's a pretty dumb way to tire out their athletes with travel time.

As the World Champion, Yuzu gets FIRST CHOICE after the host pick. JSF wanted him, and he wanted NHK. As for skating in NA, Yuzu has done SC the last two years and has finished behind Chan both times. Why would he want to do SC a third time in a row? And SA is out, as it is two weeks before the GPF.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If Yuzu stays in Japan after NHK until GPF then he'll be in Japan about a month without a coach. If he stays from NHK to Japanese Nationals then it'll be even longer. Does he want to be alone in the Olympic season for several weeks?

kiches

Final Flight
If Yuzu stays in Japan after NHK until GPF then he'll be in Japan about a month without a coach. If he stays from NHK to Japanese Nationals then it'll be even longer. Does he want to be alone in the Olympic season for several weeks?

I believe all of the Cricket Club skaters are spread out across all six Grand Prix. Brian at least will likely be traveling and away from Canada after NHK anyway and likely will be in a different country each week. If he plans to stay in Japan after NHK I'm sure they'll think of a plan or perhaps have another one of the coaches work with him.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I believe all of the Cricket Club skaters are spread out across all six Grand Prix. Brian at least will likely be traveling and away from Canada after NHK anyway and likely will be in a different country each week. If he plans to stay in Japan after NHK I'm sure they'll think of a plan or perhaps have another one of the coaches work with him.

Brian and Lee will be travelling, and likely Ghislain too, but the entire team won't. I don't think Cricket Club would send Yuzuru a coach for 4 weeks in the Olympic season. He'd have to train via video or something. Which he's done. The last time he did that he came back with the Lisfranc though...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there is no way brian will travel to suit exclusively yuzuru's agenda.. he has many other top notch skaters to attend. going to competitions is one thing but after that, i bet he will be in toronto..

TerpsichoreFS

Final Flight
Oh no, imagine having to travel far to competitions. Oh dear, I'm sure Hanyu is the only skater ever to have that problem. I'm sure it's not a problem for other country skaters at all. Diddums. :sarcasm:

Thank you for your contribution, karne.

As the World Champion, Yuzu gets FIRST CHOICE after the host pick. As for skating in NA, Yuzu has done SC the last two years and has finished behind Chan both times. Why would he want to do SC a third time in a row? And SA is out, as it is two weeks before the GPF.

As I said, you don't need two great GP result to contend for gold. That's your opinion, but I'd say rather have a home GP.

Brian and Lee will be travelling, and likely Ghislain too, but the entire team won't. I don't think Cricket Club would send Yuzuru a coach for 4 weeks in the Olympic season. He'd have to train via video or something. Which he's done. The last time he did that he came back with the Lisfranc though...

That's my worry.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yuzuru is a smart kid. If he returns, he's got about 1 month to train in peace at regular hours in Toronto between NHK and GPF. He won't have to deal with media & paparazzi (well, unless they're invited the week before GPF) and he has access to a team of coaches, his own choreographers, and top notch athletic facilities. It's a no-brainer. Having NHK earlier this season has worked in his favour. I wouldn't worry about him.

I'm more concerned for Marin Honda & Yuna Shiraiwa with those back to back GP events. A tough welcome to the seniors for these ladies.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
there is no way brian will travel to suit exclusively yuzuru's agenda.. he has many other top notch skaters to attend. going to competitions is one thing but after that, i bet he will be in toronto..

I could also imagine him focusing a bit more on Gabrielle Daleman this season. He's going to be very busy. And if it's really Javier's last season....

GPF is in Japan, and in Nagoya so Shoma doesn't have to travel THAT much next season, even compared to this season. He started the season in Italy, went to Skate America, then to Moscow, then Marseille, then Japanese Nationals, then South Korea, Sapporo, then Luxemburg and then he went to Helsinki. He travelled back to Japan each time between the competitions AND to the US to train in between as well. I do wonder what he has to do to get an NHK assignment, though. Probably win the OGM. It's a bit sad that he doesn't get to have the history with NHK and have a 'home event' during the series.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I could also imagine him focusing a bit more on Gabrielle Daleman this season. He's going to be very busy. And if it's really Javier's last season....

GPF is in Japan, and in Nagoya so Shoma doesn't have to travel THAT much next season, even compared to this season. He started the season in Italy, went to Skate America, then to Moscow, then Marseille, then Japanese Nationals, then South Korea, Sapporo, then Luxemburg and then he went to Helsinki. He travelled back to Japan each time between the competitions AND to the US to train in between as well. I do wonder what he has to do to get an NHK assignment, though. Probably win the OGM. It's a bit sad that he doesn't get to have the history with NHK and have a 'home event' during the series.

When Yuzuru retires, Shoma surely will get NHK :p He doesn't need to win OGM first, if there won't be conflict between him and Yuzuru. I guess last season Japanese Fed could invite both Yuzuru and Shoma, but I guess they wanted for both of them to have a chance to win their events.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Orser has never been main coach for Gabby and Alaine, Gabby's 1st coach is Lee and Alaine's- leigh so things will not change I believe.
Orser is main Coach for Cha, Liza, Yuzu and Javier, I think he will have to rely on Tracy's and Ghishlain Briand's support too, I don't exclude he will send one of them or both with Yuzu and Javi's one gp so Orser can rest a bit, it worked quite well for Yuzu at WTT.
Ghishlain shares Cha with Orser so probably Cha will go to one of the events with Briand only. As for Canadian girls they have their main coaches so I don't think there will be huge problem, cricket has enough team to support their skaters well and plan it thoughtfully .

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
When Yuzuru retires, Shoma surely will get NHK :p He doesn't need to win OGM first, if there won't be conflict between him and Yuzuru. I guess last season Japanese Fed could invite both Yuzuru and Shoma, but I guess they wanted for both of them to have a chance to win their events.

Tbh as I have done some researches , it is not JSF who has the last say of NHK, Its the channel itself who decides whom they want to see more, as NHK is commercial channel, for sure they are willing to get the skater who gets big ratings and brings the most money, This also explains why Zhenia got NHK even it puts Japanese girls in danger of not making GPF.. NHK wants money , JSF has the word to say but mostly its channel. Notice how NHK got world champions in all 4 disciplines.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Tbh as I have done some researches , it is not JSF who has the last say of NHK, Its the channel itself who decides whom they want to see more, as NHK is commercial channel, for sure they are willing to get the skater who gets big ratings and brings the most money, This also explains why Zhenia got NHK even it puts Japanese girls in danger of not making GPF.. NHK wants money , JSF has the word to say but mostly its channel. Notice how NHK got world champions in all 4 disciplines.

So, JSF does what NHK channel says? In ID and Pairs it makes sense, Japanese teams won't podium anyway, so why not make some more money, but in singles? I'd think they don't need Zhenya for Japanese to be interested in the vent... Thanks for the info by the way, I haven't thought of that.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think with the popularity of skating in Japan and Canada, that an event would still be popular without it's biggest singles stars as long as the number 2 skaters were there. In Canada, I'd still go to the event, though it would kill me, if Patrick weren't there as long as I could see one of the other top teams. In the US, Gracie's name will still sell tickets. Most people only see skating on TV and they have no idea how Gracie has looked over the Summer. If she can pull herself together, especially for France, I think it will set her up well for Nationals.

I do think it was a smart decision to have Skate America in the east and Nationals in the west. The US will be reaching a huge audience and that's what we need going into the Olympics..