2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm still bitter about it :(

Considering it could be their final season or at least last Olympics, this is sad.
What i hope is that they will stay a couple more seasons after 2018- maybe a season or 2 more and really go full out for it.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Holy crap, Joshua Farris got NHK! This comeback is starting fast! :yahoo: Do you think he could get SA host pick? :hap10:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Holy crap, Joshua Farris got NHK! This comeback is starting fast! :yahoo: Do you think he could get SA host pick? :hap10:

After looking over the assignments, I don't see Timothy Dolensky's anywhere. I hope he gets an assignment. I thought he made some great strides last season. Does he have any senior B's?

Tulipstar

Medalist
I'll have to make sure to buy the Kazakhstan flag somewhere if I go to Grenoble. Both Denis and Elizabet will be there.

(By the way, am I the only one who is having trouble with the forum? The smileys are gone and I can't like anyone's comment anymore, even though I am on my laptop).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After looking over the assignments, I don't see Timothy Dolensky's anywhere. I hope he gets an assignment. I thought he made some great strides last season. Does he have any senior B's?

Timothy is super high up the alternate list, so he should pick up one somewhere.

We won't know about Bs until much later.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Timothy is super high up the alternate list, so he should pick up one somewhere.

We won't know about Bs until much later.

Yup. It's still Early Days.

Which isn't going to stop the speculation, but what else is uberfandom for?

:hap57:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I always knew france wasn't going to have the men's field I wanted so I prepared myself to go to russia. But I'm disappointed that means I won't see P/C. So now I have to choose

LadyB

Record Breaker
I love the fact that Sergei got two spots and hopefully makes one more push to show the Fed what he's capable of. Looking forward to Aliev and Samarin, Jun, Alina and Polina. So many youngsters turning senior this season.
I wish that Kavaguti/Smirnov don't just disappear but have one more year in them. The early announcement of the assignments makes waiting for October even worse. S/K and T/M right at the beginning!!! I wasn't expecting that, should be interesting. Most of all I keep everything crossed that Ksenia and Fedor stay healthy.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The biggest surprise for me (other than expecting the assignments to come out in June) was seeing Alena Leonova with 2 spots, go Grandma! She will be turning 27 just before SA, too!

I will be at SA, and while I would prefer a lineup like NHK has, it will be fun to see Ashley and Karen face off together as well as D/R vs. S/M. Hoping like others that we will see Josh Farris in the TBD spot, along with Adam and Nathan. I think Nathan will easily take the title but hope Adam gets on the podium, too. Ice Dance will be the most boring at SA, since the Shibs will easily take the title. Hopefully the Parsons will get the TBD spot.

For Juniors turning Senior, I'm also excited to see Polina T. as long as she stays healthy. She's become one of my favorite young Russian skaters. On the men's side, Jun Hwan Cha from Korea will be fun to see. He's got a lot of talent.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The biggest surprise for me (other than expecting the assignments to come out in June) was seeing Alena Leonova with 2 spots, go Grandma! She will be turning 27 just before SA, too!

How nice to be called a grandmother at age 27. Especially since she isn't even the oldest Lady in the Grand Prix Series. :scratch2: I'm far from a fan of Leonova and don't think she'll ever get to the top again, but she is a Worlds Silver-medallist and helped Russia during their 'draught' in the Ladies event. If she still continues on I don't see why she cannot have two Grand Prixs.

mikec0601

Rinkside
How nice to be called a grandmother at age 27. Especially since she isn't even the oldest Lady in the Grand Prix Series. :scratch2: I'm far from a fan of Leonova and don't think she'll ever get to the top again, but she is a Worlds Silver-medallist and helped Russia during their 'draught' in the Ladies event. If she still continues on I don't see why she cannot have two Grand Prixs.

Wagner will be 26 1/2 at SA. Kostner is 30.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aljona SAVCHENKO is 33, Meagan DUHAMEL and Valentina MARCHEI are 31, Roberta RODEGHIERO is 27.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I don't think apgold meant to be insulting. It may come from another board where they are quite fond of Leonova and call her such things endearingly. She's had a longevity that's amazing for Russian girls these days.

Lipea

Final Flight

She deserved her spots with two beautiful and clean skates at Zagreb - so Fed has no choice. Plus, despite the depth of Russian ladies there is really noone in seniors who deserves it more than her (Stasya is next in line, so possibly could get Rostelecom)

Lipea

Final Flight
Honestly, I also have a hidden wish that Russian GP could go to Kurakova who is truly a dark horse... what is she has a fantastic season and manages to get selected to OG?

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
I just took a quick look at the pairs spots, and the host picks likely to be returned are CoC, NHK, and IdF. NHK and IdF are unlikely as it is the Olympic season and the Feds might want to send their B teams for experience, but there is still a (small) chance - see how NHK shafted Suzaki/Kihara last season. CoC is the biggest likelihood of not using its host pick, as all the senior Chinese pairs were able to obtain two spots each, and there are no more senior pairs left. They do have G/X from JWs, but they have clearly stated they will be doing JGPs again this season. Therefore, A/W has the biggest chance to go to CoCs.

Lipea

Final Flight
I can't speak for the rest of Gracie's fans but I don't think Gracie should do the GP at all. She needs fulltime intense training to get back in shape. I think NOT doing the GP will be better for her than losing to lower ranked skaters heading into Nationals. Seriously, the way she looks right now, she won't even make the TV broadcast of a GP event because she won't be in the top 6.

At this point, there are so many US ladies who are capable of beating Gracie that I don't think I'd give her a host pick. That's how concerned I am about Gracie. If she were to go to Skate America the way she looks right now, there's a serious chance that she could come in last place. The same would happen in Canada, Japan, and Russia. She needs to be in a rink fulltime. I know skaters need to make money so I understand her summer activities. It's in her interviews where it seems she has no grasp of how far her skating has fallen in a very short time. When audience members who have never skated can tell she's struggling, you know you have a problem.

Exactly, isn't it unfair towards Courtney to not give her a single event although she medaled in CoR last year? They could have saved home spot for Gracie in case if she is ready. Also, is there open skates in the USA like in Russia?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think apgold meant to be insulting. It may come from another board where they are quite fond of Leonova and call her such things endearingly. She's had a longevity that's amazing for Russian girls these days.

Thank you, this is exactly where I was coming from.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I was really hoping that Hanyu would be at Skate Canada! Too bad. Uno is a good one though. I'm interested to see how patrick stacks up this year and how much more technical content he is putting up to try and get an olympic medal

Lipea

Final Flight
I couldn't read this; my desk location couldn't translate it.:noshake:

But I loved seeing this current photo of Julia. Even with a still photo, it's clear how expressive she is as a skater. And it's about her movement too, not only facial expressions. I hope to see her skate soon and wish her all the best.

Why did you decide that it's her current photo? I am not a follower, but I think it is from a year ago.