The Chinese Dancer did 3 Turns on a Camel Spin | Golden Skate

The Chinese Dancer did 3 Turns on a Camel Spin

That was incredible and he had no bobble and he made all thos rotations. Has anyone else seen it?

I've seen many dancers, particularly, modern dancers doing what would be a camel but they hardly get around for one rotation.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up -- I didn't see it the first time, but I'll go back to the tape.

The opening and closing ceremonies in 2008 are going to be amazing. When you think that fireworks and the Beijing Opera are just the start...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
That was incredible and he had no bobble and he made all thos rotations. Has anyone else seen it?
Oh I know, I was like
:eek: :eek: :eek: ! I was looking down for a minute, so wasn't prepared for a spin, but I glanced up just in time to see him to the camels and I was like "Hey!". :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I thought the entire "Beijing Presentation" portion of the Closing Ceremony was absolutely a visual stunner and gave notice that the Chinese are going to put on probably the most memorable Opening Ceremony in Olympic history.

I, too, was impressed by the camel spin of the dancer, as well as his very nice scratch spin! I'm wondering if this might be part of the same Chinese acrobatic troupe that toured the US in the early 70s shortly after Nixon went over there. I was very young at the time, but I still remember seeing them on TV and being absolutely enthralled by what they were able to do. Kudos also to the two who did those incredible "circular somersault" maneuvers at such an incredible rate of speed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

tdnuva

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
I'm wondering if this might be part of the same Chinese acrobatic troupe that toured the US in the early 70s shortly after Nixon went over there.

We all know that it's hard to trust commentators... but anyway, ours said, those dancers were from the Chinese opera in Beijing.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
tdnuva said:
We all know that it's hard to trust commentators... but anyway, ours said, those dancers were from the Chinese opera in Beijing.

At least yours were informative. Ours were pretty much just babbling after a while and I stopped listening..... :laugh:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
At least yours were informative. Ours were pretty much just babbling after a while and I stopped listening..... :laugh:

Oh yes. I couldn't stand Mary Carillo after a while. That guy should give the Chinese skaters a lesson on spinning.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Joe-
I saw it and couldn't believe my eyes :eek: Wow. Maybe that's a good way to practice my camel spin :D

mzheng

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I thought the entire "Beijing Presentation" portion of the Closing Ceremony was absolutely a visual stunner and gave notice that the Chinese are going to put on probably the most memorable Opening Ceremony in Olympic history.

Hey, it just going to show how different perspective could be from different world. I just read from a chinese disscussion board, the 8 min of "Beijing Presentation" was critisized as the 'Cultural Garbedge' and 'Shame', etc.

dlkksk8fan said:
Joe-
I saw it and couldn't believe my eyes :eek: Wow. Maybe that's a good way to practice my camel spin :D

dlkk - Yes, it does help. I used to do them in sneakers when I was a kid. It helped in the skating but in dance, I couldn't rely on them.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
mzheng,

Did they give any specific reasons on why the thought it was garbage?

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Yes, the Chinese presentation was amazing! I'm sure the 2008 Olympics are going to be extrodinary... The Chinese culture is one of my fav...costumes, music, landscapes, art, etc... I was afraid for that tiny little girl on the huge red lanter.. I dont think she had anything to hold onto...She was a brave one...Peace..

mzheng

Record Breaker
mpal2 said:
mzheng,

Did they give any specific reasons on why the thought it was garbage?

Yes, they do. And I kind of agree with them. The person direct the show is the one directed several movies had been shown internationally. IMO non of them truly reflected what the really life was back in China. With over 2000 years cultral history, seems this show just chose to show some of the craps. And the little girl sing the Jasmine song looked like being abducted.

Thanks for those comments, MZheng. I had that impression, too. Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Thanks for those comments, MZheng. I had that impression, too. Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman
I hope we get the real thing in 2008. One of my favorite performances of all time was when the Beijing Opera (then called "Peking Opera") performed in Boston in the late 1970's. Even that was watered down for Western audiences, in that there was a higher ratio of dancing to singing, but if you've ever seen From Mao to Mozart or The Turandot Project, the short excerpts in both show how vivid and powerful and telegenic the dancing is.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman

Funny, Mathman, you mentioned that.

They said these leggy showgirls looked like the prostituters from some of famouse ***** house some 60/70 years ago in PeiJing. And some of those group dances looked like from a funeral ritual.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
They said these leggy showgirls looked like the prostituters from some of famouse ***** house some 60/70 years ago in PeiJing.

Y'know, I was actually kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to actually post it because it might be misconstrued. Actually, for me, it also had kind of a "Gilbert & Sullivan on Acid" thing going as well. But the rest of the presentation was marvelous, though I can understand it not sitting too well with the Chinese; I suppose it's a variation on nations having certain "tourist stuff" that is actually a stereotypical view of the culture, but they keep doing it because the tourists want to see it. Still, from a purely visual perspective, it was quite spectacular.

mzheng

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Y'know, I was actually kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to actually post it because it might be misconstrued. .

He, same here. That's why I only posted it when mathman had mentioned it.

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel the Chinese did a great job to present their country. The group of young ladies are lovely, not sexy, they can sing, play instruments, and also can dance. That's amazing talent. Most artists can do two things on the stage the most. Some comment that they look like prostitutes are rude and offensive. The girls are just beautiful.
The guy dance has amazing jumping and spin ability. He is a younger version of Jet Li. Camel spin is one of the hardest spins for many elite skaters. This dance can do it beautifully on the floor.

Last edited:
Ironic that the Chinese acrobats have such great spins, especially the camel, but that the Chinese figure skaters' weakest point is their spinning, especially their camels.:confused:

Can the Chinese acrobat and figure skating coaches get together and see if they can find some ways to transfer the extraordinary spinning skill of the acrobats to the figure skaters. I know it's a whole different thing doing it on the floor versus on the ice, but you'd think it the acrobats and acrobat coaches worked with the skaters and skating coaches they'd find some way to improve the skating camel spins.

And yeah, I was like "wOw" watching that guy do the triple camel spin. I did a good 1 & 1/2 dance camel once about 25 years ago (much different position--hips open and back arched) and wanted to give myself a medal! I settled for a chocolate frosted devil's food donut. :)
Rgirl