Montreal wins bid for 2020 Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Montreal wins bid for 2020 Worlds

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow...... i wonder when was the last time you visited Montreal because you describe it like it perhaps was in the 1970s-80s.

1) since then Quebecois still are proud from their specially coloured French but also realise to slow down and tone down the idioms when meeting foreigners
2) since then, so much immigration from Northern Africa and France has made the French much more "international" you have no idea how many French French live here... in certain areas of town, I hear it more than Quebec French.... I'd say that 75% of my clients from one neighbourhood in particular (le Plateau) are from France.
3) In some ways, talking about Quebec's French like this (not saying like you are yourself doing it) has been looked as derogatory... why is a regional accent, the one in Montreal or by the way, did you know the French in Quebec city is also very different??? is to be looked as less proper than the French French??? Do people think that there is only one kind of English? the one from London UK? It's like if I were to say... well I am not sure I want to visit the midwest.. they speak funny....

4everChan, I was hoping you might answer; the story was a comment on my own "pride cometh before a fall" and in no way shape or form meant to imply that there was something "wrong" with Quebecois French (back on my desktop, I know you told me once how to access accents, cedilles and such from a regular keyboard, but that didn't stick;)).

And indeed, one of the issues was that the person I spoke with most on that first trip was a pen friend (before we had online fora:)) from Sept-Iles, who met me in Quebec. I'm sure that her accent was different than other places in Quebec. Nowadays I'm kicking myself that I never traveled to Sept-Iles, but at the time I was a working stiff and that long trip just to be in the middle of nowhere....silly me, I didn't do it.:noshake:

You are right about the time frame. When I say "back in the day", I mean "back in the day":biggrin:

I would love to go back to Montreal and I would love to see Worlds there. If Jason sticks around until 2020 and makes the team:agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everChan, I was hoping you might answer; the story was a comment on my own "pride cometh before a fall" and in no way shape or form meant to imply that there was something "wrong" with Quebecois French (back on my desktop, I know you told me once how to access accents, cedilles and such from a regular keyboard, but that didn't stick;)).

And indeed, one of the issues was that the person I spoke with most on that first trip was a pen friend (before we had online fora:)) from Sept-Iles, who met me in Quebec. I'm sure that her accent was different than other places in Quebec. Nowadays I'm kicking myself that I never traveled to Sept-Iles, but at the time I was a working stiff and that long trip just to be in the middle of nowhere....silly me, I didn't do it.:noshake:

You are right about the time frame. When I say "back in the day", I mean "back in the day":biggrin:

I would love to go back to Montreal and I would love to see Worlds there. If Jason sticks around until 2020 and makes the team:agree:

oh my dear.... Sept-Iles... OMG..... do you know how far that is? it's one very small community hours and hours away from Montreal or Quebec city... my parents meet there LOL.... and Veronik Mallet is from there...

let me just tell you that this is one of the most remote community in North America right close to Labrador and Newfoundland.... there is fishing, lumber and ore... and a very interesting regional accent.

here is a touristic video of that remote yet beautiful area

not far from Sept-Iles, there is a tiny place called Iles de la Madeleine, right in the gulf.... here is how they speak... it's a report about their accent...

this is so regional, so beautiful ;) but if you meet someone who speaks like this....it's very far from the tv presenter guy.... for instance ;)

enjoy

finally, you can see the distance from Montreal to Sept-Iles

BTW at about 3 minutes, they show that even on the tiny islands, they use different accents in different villages as they were isolated for a very long time...

again, fascinating ;)

and finally, they talk about the fact that the accent even there, is getting lost... because the kids speak a much milder dialect...thanks to internet and to studying in the bigger city.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And how is the weather in March?

What many people do not realize about Canada, is that the majority of our communities/population lives within a few hours drive of the CAN/USA border. As a result our weather is similar to the northern parts of the USA. In fact we have communities here that latitude wise, are located further south than some major US cities, including Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis/St. Paul and even Detroit.

Comparing us to Europe, my community has the same latitude as the Bordeaux region in France, and yes Nova Scotia has a vibrant wine industry, the 3rd largest wine region in Canada.

So, for anyone who attended Worlds in Boston, expect a similar New England type climate in Montreal.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is just slightly off topic. Canadians.......Have any of you ever been to "Upper Clements Park?" I swear we took one of the longest and most frightening trips over a long bridge to get to this place. Living closer to SF than LA, I am used to traveling over bridges that are high but, I have never been on a bridge that long in my life. I look for a picture....

Here's a video of the bridge I was talking about. It's called "The Confederation Bridge" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIjYQmgZhzk

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is just slightly off topic. Canadians.......Have any of you ever been to "Upper Clements Park?" I swear we took one of the longest and most frightening drives over long bridge to get to this place. Being closer to SF than LA, I am used to traveling over bridges that are high but, I have never been on a bridge that long in my life. I look for a picture....

Nova Scotia!!! I'm not Canadian, but I love it there. ;) *wanna-be Canadian here* lol!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is just slightly off topic. Canadians.......Have any of you ever been to "Upper Clements Park?" I swear we took one of the longest and most frightening trips over a long bridge to get to this place. Living closer to SF than LA, I am used to traveling over bridges that are high but, I have never been on a bridge that long in my life. I look for a picture....

Here's a video of the bridge I was talking about. It's called "The Confederation Bridge" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIjYQmgZhzk

it links NS to PEI and it's about 13km.... it was nicknamed the fixed link as it really made it easier to get to PEI than ferry.

- - - Updated - - -

Nova Scotia!!! I'm not Canadian, but I love it there. ;) *wanna-be Canadian here* lol!

you and mrrice both are welcome to move up north ;)

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I've been checking out maps of the area around the Bell Center and I see there's an Irish Pub nearby. That's me sorted.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I've been checking out maps of the area around the Bell Center and I see there's an Irish Pub nearby. That's me sorted.

there is a large Irish community in Montreal.. and well... depending when worlds are, you may be able to catch the St-Patrick's Parade ;)

liv

Record Breaker
Confederation Bridge. Yup, drove over it. It is certainly interesting!!

Yeah, accents anywhere make a difference, but it is also slang used etc.. Quebec french was difficult for me too in the mid 90s. I was working in Banff (alberta for those who dont know) and worked with a bunch of girls from Quebec. We mostly spoke English because learning it was their reason for being there but when they spoke French I was almost clueless ( they werent from Montreal). However, we also had a guy there from Paris and I understood him very well, lol!! It was probably because of the accent i had heard in school and my zero knowledge of more colloquial language.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Yes Mr. Rice, Upper Clements Park is located in the Annapolis Valley here in Nova Scotia, and the "fixed link" or bridge to PEI, turns 20 this year. ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Back in my college days, lyverbird1, there were 2 close to the Bell Centre area that I use to frequent; the Old Dublin and Hurley's. As 4ever said, there is a large Irish population in Montreal, and no doubt a few jars and some jigs close by.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Confederation Bridge. Yup, drove over it. It is certainly interesting!!

Yeah, accents anywhere make a difference, but it is also slang used etc.. Quebec french was difficult for me too in the mid 90s. I was working in Banff (alberta for those who dont know) and worked with a bunch of girls from Quebec. We mostly spoke English because learning it was their reason for being there but when they spoke French I was almost clueless ( they werent from Montreal). However, we also had a guy there from Paris and I understood him very well, lol!! It was probably because of the accent i had heard in school and my zero knowledge of more colloquial language.

Oh Banff............:drama: I'll never forget hearing "That's Good Coffee, Eh" and turning around to see the most handsome mountain man. We had gone there after performing at the Stampede in Calgary. We became friends and he followed our tour for a couple of weeks as we traveled throughout Canada. I think I sang "Oh Canada" for a year after meeting him......:laugh2:

Sackie

Medalist
Wonder if having the event in Canada might change some of our top skaters plans to retire after next year. I mean it is only 2 more years and to skate and maybe win a medal on home ice just might have some of them rethinking things.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What many people do not realize about Canada, is that the majority of our communities/population lives within a few hours drive of the CAN/USA border. As a result our weather is similar to the northern parts of the USA. In fact we have communities here that latitude wise, are more southern than some major US cities, including Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis/St. Paul and even Detroit.

Comparing us to Europe, my community has the same latitude as the Bordeaux region in France, and yes Nova Scotia has a vibrant wine industry, the 3rd largest wine region in Canada.

So, for anyone who attended Worlds in Boston, expect a similar New England type climate in Montreal.

In Boston, the weather went from nearly 70F and sunny to 35F and snowing. So I recommend packing layers!

mrrice

Record Breaker
In Boston, the weather went from nearly 70F and sunny to 35F and snowing. So I recommend packing layers!

Layers is definitely the way to go. A nice waterproof Trench Coat makes for a great outer layer. It also can double for a blanket if you get cold during the event. My Coat has big pockets on the inside which held my phone, wallet, binoculars, and my Croissant Breakfast Sandwich from Tim Horton's. If the arena is cold and you're seated near the ice, it will be quite cold. As the arena fills the temperature will slowly rise and once it's full during the LP's, in most cases you won't need anything more than a sweater.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wonder if having the event in Canada might change some of our top skaters plans to retire after next year. I mean it is only 2 more years and to skate and maybe win a medal on home ice just might have some of them rethinking things.

yup... I am thinking that too ;) why would a team like Lubov and Dylan retire??? even Weapo may continue... I could understand that D/R and V/M stop after the O Games.. but others could want the home experience worlds and see it as their swan song.... especially if they are contenders.... I doubt any of our top 3 girls will retire... and I send in the universe everyday that Patrick should never retire ;) because he is just so awesome to watch.... beautiful Patrick, end your career in my hub ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

the only difference here is that you will have to use celsius ;)

good thing in montreal's downtown : you can use the underground city paths and stay warm in the downtown area.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in any case... i find it funny that there are so many ??? about Montreal which is so close to the USA border and as many have mentioned, pretty much similar to Boston or even NYC in terms of weather....

while many just experienced much more exotic of a country, with worlds being in Finland : now talk about different language, food, weather, traditions... Montreal is pretty much like any East Coast American city with just a touch of French flair ;)