Need help??? | Golden Skate

Need help???

bladebabe13

Rinkside
I'll help on any spin and any jump up to Double Axel!!! {I don't do dance, moves pairs, or anything but freestyle}

I'd be happy to help!!!!

bladebabe13

Rinkside
A one-foot spin...

1-do nice complete cross-overs into it, that way you get some speed.

2-step into the center of your circle, the circle you make with your cross overs.

3- Put down two feet for a rotation or two

4-pick up one foot and spin for atleast 3 rotations

5-check-out and smile...think to your-self, I just did the best one-foot spin ever! That will really show confidence and make everyone stop and look at you.

I hope I helped you...if not, please tell me, I'd be more than happy to try again!!

Perry

Rinkside
Actually, not to be rude or anything, bt you really don't want to go into a spin with a whole lot of speed. If you think about it in a physics sense, you're changing your type of motion, so if you go into a spin with less speed, it's less work to to change your forward motion into rotational motion. Of course, that doesn't mean you should go as slowly as possibly into it, because that interrupts the flow of your program. I usually do only one or two crossovers at most into a spin, and try not to make them terribly powerful ones (but not to deliberately go slowly either).

On smiling, though, that's probably the best advice you'll ever get, cheesy as it is. In the dozens of tests I've taken by now, I've noticed that often, judges don't notice if you bobble a little on a landing, or misstep slightly in a dance, as long as you smile directly at them, and act like you've made no mistake whatsoever. When I tested my Westminster, I swear I was about to fall over, but I smiled directly at the judges, and neither they, nor anyone watching seemed to notice.

bladebabe13

Rinkside
thanks for the compliment on the smiles!

But as far as the speed goes, the more speed, the more speed stepping in. that give you faster rotation and a super-centered spin.

Anybody else need help?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Spins are the rotation of the body around a central axis while standing on a skate. And speed is how fast a skater rotates around that axis. So once you get centered the speed comes from the body position. The fastest spin is going to be the scratch spin because the arms and legs are closest to the body. When arms and legs are spread away form the body their mass is a greater distance form the axis and the rotations will be slower. So the camel spin would be the slowest spin as compared to the scatch spin. It doesn't matter how fast your back cross overs are. It's all about getting centered and taking it from there. I go rather slowly into my spin, but I have good speed in my scratch spin because I am able to keep it centered and get as tight with my arms and legs that I can. Now my camel is another story :)

bladebabe13

Rinkside
dlkksk8fan-

you're very right about all of that. I just find that skating fast helps me.

As for your camel spin...I'd be more than ectatic to help!!!!

If you want help..please ask!!!!

Perry

Rinkside
I've found that if you power into spins, they become much more difficult to do. Of course, if you don't have really strong back crossovers, you don't need to worry, but I tend to take really long and powerful strokes, and it makes it more difficult to spin. Going into a flying sit with speed is especially difficult, since it sometimes causes you to fly a little too much -- and in the wrong direction.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I don't want to be rude either, but you do not go into a one foot spin on two feet...ever. I am pretty sure that would result in a deduction if it was a mandatory element and you two footed it. You have the free leg in the air parallel to the above the arm, get your balance, center, pull in, and grab excelleration from the centrifugal force of the spin. Speed is not needed, and will come as a result of doing it correctly. Gus Lussi has some wonderful advice on this technique on his jump and spin video.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
bladebabe13 said:
thanks for the compliment on the smiles!

But as far as the speed goes, the more speed, the more speed stepping in. that give you faster rotation and a super-centered spin.

Anybody else need help?

No, it really won't, and part of getting a good spin is to be able to start slow and get speed from the correct form.

Hey Babe - Easy on the lessons. :) A skater going full blast into a one foot spin is more than likely going to wind up on the ice. :(

Joe

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Um, sorry bladebabe, but the one thing my Coach WON'T ever let me do is start the spin on two feet. She has taught me from the beginning to push off with the free foot and keep it off the ice. I appreciate the thoughts, though.

icy fresh

On the Ice
I don't want to be rude, but couldn't you guys go a little easier on bladebabe13. She is my best friend and she is going thru a stressful time right now because she is moving. She is really a great skater, and I even helped her write the advice. The reason she wrote to start on two feet was because when we STARTED learning it we were told to start on one teo feet and gradually lift up one. So, please give her a little slack.

bladebabe13

Rinkside
A quick turn....do u mean like a 3-turn????

Advise on a three tun

start from a stand-still {lol}

take a deep edge-then to turn fast rotate your hips and shoulders. they will make you turn

if you need a boost give a quick push before u turn, only the first few times. then try it without.

Hope I helped!!!! If I didn't you can complain...but PLEASE not as harsh this time!!!

Summerkid

Rinkside
Let me throw in a few more details...
1. Rotate the shoulders first taking your lead arm into the circle.
2. Rotate the hips next--this is your turn.
3. Check your lead shoulder.
4. Lift the free hip on the exit so you can hold the edge.

-- Practicing 3 turns and mohawks on the dasher boards is a great place to start.
-- Working forwards and backwards inside and outside edges is also important.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
icy_fresh said:
I don't want to be rude, but couldn't you guys go a little easier on bladebabe13. She is my best friend and she is going thru a stressful time right now because she is moving. She is really a great skater, and I even helped her write the advice. The reason she wrote to start on two feet was because when we STARTED learning it we were told to start on one teo feet and gradually lift up one. So, please give her a little slack.

I don't think that anyone is intending to be rude. I think that there is concern that the incorrect information is being given on certain things and that could lead to incorrect form, or worse, injury. It's nice that you want to share what you are learning, but once you progress and look back, you are going to recognize incorrect advice, and make sure that the correct info is given. It would be different if somone was posting for help, but you are asking people to ask you. I think that by the reactions you are getting, it would be a gentle hint that maybe the coaching should be left to coaches.