Need help??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Need help???

bladebabe13

Rinkside
Summerkid said:
Let me throw in a few more details...
1. Rotate the shoulders first taking your lead arm into the circle.
2. Rotate the hips next--this is your turn.
3. Check your lead shoulder.
4. Lift the free hip on the exit so you can hold the edge.

-- Practicing 3 turns and mohawks on the dasher boards is a great place to start.
-- Working forwards and backwards inside and outside edges is also important.

thats good advise.....thanks!!!

bladebabe13

Rinkside
Glacierskater said:
I don't think that anyone is intending to be rude. I think that there is concern that the incorrect information is being given on certain things and that could lead to incorrect form, or worse, injury. It's nice that you want to share what you are learning, but once you progress and look back, you are going to recognize incorrect advice, and make sure that the correct info is given. It would be different if somone was posting for help, but you are asking people to ask you. I think that by the reactions you are getting, it would be a gentle hint that maybe the coaching should be left to coaches.

I was just trying to be helpful...I wasn't trying to take the coaches place. A coach is a coach, and they have the right to say yes or no to my advise. PEople at my rink ask me for help sometimes, so I thought I could help more people. If you have a problem with that, then don't ask for help on this thread. And it really hurts when you critizie me like that...so please don't do it....okay? I hope that some people still would like my help, but other people, i like it when you help, so continue!!!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't think that anyone is intending to be rude.

I don't see anyone being rude. Offering suggestions and corrections are not being rude. We just want to make sure that if you are giving out information that it is correct.

As for the two foot spin, I know when you first learn to spin that you do start on two feet and then learn to raise the one foot up. However when you add the entrance edge to the spin you never first put down two feet. It is always entered into on one foot.

bladebabe-I have a suggestion for you. When you come across something that might help with your own skating please feel free to post the helpful hint.

Summerkid

Rinkside
Being able to verbally explain how to perform a manuever in skating is what sets coaches apart from the rest. Many of us have spent several years honing our explanatory skills so that we are effective teachers. Many coaches also participate in teaching seminars through ISI, USFSA, and PSA to improve their skills. It's not always as easy as just saying "toe pick then jump" or "skate really fast then pull in". How many of us have had an instructor that we just couldn't connect with because we couldn't understand what they meant? I do think that it is good to have an information exchange between skaters for tricks and tips. We just have to be sure that it's clear what we're saying. That's my $0.02 and I've been coaching for 6 years.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
bladebabe13 said:
I was just trying to be helpful...I wasn't trying to take the coaches place. A coach is a coach, and they have the right to say yes or no to my advise. PEople at my rink ask me for help sometimes, so I thought I could help more people. If you have a problem with that, then don't ask for help on this thread. And it really hurts when you critizie me like that...so please don't do it....okay? I hope that some people still would like my help, but other people, i like it when you help, so continue!!!

I don't mean to hurt your feelings. And I did not ask for your advice on any topic. However, I do see where your advice is questionable at best in some cases. From viewing the previous posts, I am not the only one.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
[QUOTE=I do think that it is good to have an information exchange between skaters for tricks and tips. We just have to be sure that it's clear what we're saying.

Stamement number two being the most operative and important part of your post.

:\