French Open | Golden Skate

French Open

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Unbelievable. For all the Dominic Thiem fans - he just beat Djokovic 7|6, 6|3, 6|0 in the quarter final. :shocked: & :bow:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hope for Dominic-Stan final. But I think Rafa will have lots to say in that...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, Stan is in the final. Now, get your act together Dominic!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Can Wawrinka beat Nadal? I don't think so.

He can, he already did it once :p He has 1-0 with Rafa in GS final and a one RG title. Question is: will he do it again? Thing is, Rafa is rather consistent this season in making good results. Stan is super unpredictible. So he may lose 0-3, but also win 3-0 (ok, that's like 0,1% chance, I admit). But I think whoever winner will be, he won't win in straight sets.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
very excited for the final...Rafael is really a master on clay courts - watching him when he's healthy is nothing but a privilegde for me, there's a sense of ease in his movement, focus and so brilliant timing. Aside of mastering clay technically, seeing him now I realise how great competitor he became, not only skilled, but confident to use this skill in a very clever way, which today's semi-final was a display of. There is really no hesitation from him when he sees a crack somewhere in his opponent, he just go for it and in so much style...

But Stan will be no walk in a park I feel...Today he also proved a sheer determination, will and focus to reckon with, I just wonder how much of a factor this almost 5-hour match versus 124 mins of Nadal's one...

Anyway, see you on Sunday watching:)

mintx

On the Ice
Just watched the women's final. The underdog, a twenty year old from Latvia just won. She is so cute!

Looking forward to tomorrow's men's final. I'm hoping that Rafa wins in five. I like him but I hope it's a great match.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, I felt so happy for Nadal for his 10th win at French Open!!! Wawrinka did not play poorly, but the determined Nadal of today was unbeatable.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Rafael really proved why he's a master of clay courts - it's not that Stan played bad or was not determined, motivated, it's just sheer brilliance of Rafael's skill that lead the game and shone through every move. The way he attacked the game, how amazing he varied tactics, tempo are a testament of those 10 titles and how he developed, because after all these years there is sill for me a sense of freshness and novelty presented by him on the court, all with solidness, accuracy and energetic finesse so characteristic for Rafael.

and that montage at the podium, summarizing all those 10 victory years, I just smiled and teared up with many people, it's just special to see a player with that kind of achievement in Grand Slam territory.

and some of plays in the final from Rafael, especial those long distance shots, which for me had no chance to get into court...just :bow:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
His grandfather was a German from Sudetenland (Broumov/Braunau) in North Bohemia who emigrated 1946 to West Germany. The name Wawrinka comes probably from the Polish or Czech version of the name Laurentius/Lawrence (in Polish: Wawrzyniec; in Czech: Vavřinec).

BTW: The surname of the Slovak-born wife of Roger Federer is Vavrinec (Vavrincová).:)