MK Aerial Figure Skating Challenge 6/23&24 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK Aerial Figure Skating Challenge 6/23&24

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for confirming both parts of the streaming -- from ProEventPhoto and from USFS.

Happy to learn that ProEventPhoto has changed its plans re AC.

In addition to the wording on its site, PEP had tweeted three other separate links this week (most recently on Tue) that each had a notation that its streaming did not include AC at all.
The originally announced streaming (Facebook Live session on Aerial Challenge's page) always was going to be only for the team AC ... so it is puzzling to me that PEP's new decision in favor of streaming the individual AC was made so late in the game.

I probably should just be glad that all's well that ends well.
But the confusion every year over what will or will not be available is going from bad to worse :(.

Agreed! And to be honest I'm a little confused about the "qualifying round." Hopefully that means whatever is going on from 7:30 to 10:00 Friday night and not whatever is listed as "jumps" before that. If I bit I may call to confirm that first.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agreed! And to be honest I'm a little confused about the "qualifying round." Hopefully that means whatever is going on from 7:30 to 10:00 Friday night and not whatever is listed as "jumps" before that. If I bit I may call to confirm that first.

The qualifying round is to pick the 3 skaters to fill the wild card slots for the next day.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Ohhh ... yes, now that you mention it, I agree that "qualifying round" still is ambiguous.
I have added a caveat to my post above.

The thing is (as Tavi knows) that in 2015 and 2016, the Broadmoor Open jump comps served as a qualifying round for the Aerial Challenge (which in past years was a comp only among individuals, without any team portion).
Although I cannot be sure, it would make sense if the Broadmoor Open jump comps served as a qualifying round for the individual AC this year.

ETA (on Jun 24):
As expected: Senior and junior winners of the Broadmoor jump comps qualified for the 2017 individual AC, per the third photo in this post last night from judge Garbett:

It is slightly(?) encouraging that your link to today's Facebook post from Aerial Challenge says that PEP's streaming will start
at 7:30 pm on Friday, which matches the start time for the individual AC.

I will keep my fingers crossed for those willing to purchase a PEP pass. (I do not plan to.)

Thanks again to Tavi for reaching out to USFS and to PEP.

ETA:
Go, Bradley's Brawlers :yay:.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYIs:

- Brooklee Han will be taking over the @JacksonUltima account to live-tweet from AC:

- Per the Instagram story of garbett_usa (Team USA skeleton athlete Stephen Garbett) an hour or so ago, he just arrived at the Broadmoor World Arena to judge "a figure skating competition" today.

Presumably he means Aerial Challenge. "Stay tuned for some video," he said. (He already has added two more little glimpses of behind-the-scenes pre-competition stuff.)

A little bkgd: For his own training, he often is in residence at the OTC in Colorado Springs. He seems very sociable, including with skaters, from what I have noticed in the past.​

- In another thread, the question came up as to whether skaters already announced for the team AC on Saturday are likely to compete also in the individual AC tonight. Good question, IMO.

Anecdotally, the captain of Dolensky's Dynamos just mentioned that he will compete tonight as well.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVsyMhFAGMw/?taken-by=timdolensky (Jun 23)

(Congratulations to Tim for his award for his FS :bow:.)​

ETA:
BTW, I believe the Freezer family generously is hosting another after-party this year.​

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
TEAM USA Luger John Fennell was at the rink today during practice for the Aerial Challenge, and I'm fairly sure he's one of the judges as well.
He was hanging out with Jeremy who tweeted it here :rofl2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Aerial Challenge stream is free! You just click where it says "Aerial Challenge" on the Pro Event Photo site. It's a really good stream too.

I missed the first round ladies.

Okay first round men

Max
3A-1Lo-3S. The 3A was so huge, so light, and he looked so open, that at half a glance it looked like a double.

Camden
3A-1Lo-3S on his toe, pitched forward, nearly fell

Timothy
3F-3T 2ft, got caught up
RETRY
3F-3T< really hard fall

Emmanuel
2F whoops
RETRY
3F-3T-2T really nice

Ben
3Lz fall
RETRY
3Lz hand down-1Lo-3S

Jordan
3A wonky-1Lo-3S

Alexei
3F-3Lo-3Lo WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
Perfect score! 19.00!

Paul
3Lz-2T-3T< 2ft
RETRY
3Lz-1Lo-2S (he did NOT mean to do that 1Lo...it was a whoops. But well-saved!)

Jimmy (why is he wearing a baseball cap lolwat)
3A step out
RETRY
3A fall ouch!

Alex
3Lz-3T 2ft-2T

After the first round, Alexei leads from Max - those two were the definite standouts! Jordan is third, if I remember the scores right.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Aerial Challenge stream is free! You just click where it says "Aerial Challenge" on the Pro Event Photo site. It's a really good stream too.

... After the first round, Alexei leads from Max - those two were the definite standouts! Jordan is third, if I remember the scores right.

Many thanks, karne :bow:.

Yes, Jordan definitely is third. Over 17 points.

Direct link to the stream: http://proeventphoto.com/channel-three/

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Final round ladies

Stephanie
3Lz-3T (slides backwards)

Ashley
3F-3T

Hannah
3F-3T wow!
perfect score!

Alysa
3Lz-1T oops
RETRY
3Lz-3T

Audrey
3Lz-3T

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Note from the first round men: Max's triple Axel has gotten even better, which I had no idea was possible!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Final round men

Emmanuel
3A-3T-2T very nice!

Camden
ah crap my stream just turned off. stupid chromecast/phone.
wait. Stream Unavailable?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
So the stream is dead. Below stolen from Brooklee's descriptions on Twitter
Camden
3A-1Lo-3F

Jordan
3A-1Lo-3S (after retry)

Max
3A-1Lo-3S (very nice - Brooklee attached video)

Alexei
3A-1Lo-3F

Final three for men:
Alexei
Max
I think Camden? Do they add the rounds together?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, the stream is back in time for Championship men!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Championship Round Men

BACK TO BACK QUADRUPLE JUMPING PASSES ahoy
3 point bonus for two different quads

Jordan
4T< fall
2S oops

Max
4T both hands down
I SEE CHOREOGRAPHY HANG ON HE'S DOING A PROGRAM SEGMENT
2S omg Max.
Does he not have a retry? He didn't use one in the first two rounds? Wait, he does!
Alexei gives him a high five before he starts again.
4T beautiful!
now analysing this choreo
4S hand down oops fall

Alexei
4S fall
And here is Alexei's program choreography
4Lo<< turn out
I think he wants a retry, he should have one up his sleeve like Max did
some kind of technical glitch, so Alexei is goofing with the crowd.
Oh, now we're getting quad facts.
HOW THE HECK DID THEY MANAGE TO BRING CHEN INTO THIS HE'S NOT EVEN FRICKING HERE.
Seriously, we went from "Browning landed the first quad" to "CHEN CHEN CHEN!"
Okay, here we go.
4S
4Lo<< hand down

Pretty sure Alexei wins at this point!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alexei went and hugged everyone who called out to him. Which turned out to be everyone. :laugh:

And then a SNUGGLEBATHUG. And they compared notes :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, according to Twitter, Max won. How, I'm not sure.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rotating his jumps. That's how, apparently.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx to karne for all your posts :thank:.

Congratulations to Max Aaron, Alex Krasnozhon, Jordan Moeller.

Congrats also to Audrey Shin, Hanna Harrell, Alysa Liu.

ETA:
Apologies for getting the order wrong.
Alysa Liu placed second. Hanna Harrell placed third.​

Wild cards for tomorrow's team comp are: Ting Cui for Bradley's Brawlers, Audrey Shin for Dolensky's Dynamos, and Hanna Harrell for Abbott's All-Stars.

Great that free live-streaming was provided at the last minute. (Only semi-reliable streaming, but free.)

But there is so much that is maddening about how this event is handled, such as the very confusing/chaotic series of communications about the streaming.

ETA:
I have deleted my original comments about horribly distracting music that was blaring way too loudly.
I guess each skater was allowed to choose her/his own horribly distracting ;) music to be blared way too loudly.
But I really did wonder how they managed to concentrate with the excessive (IMO) volume.
(For my tender :hopelessness: ears, it was all so loud that I did not originally discern the individual choices.)​