Duhamel, Radford fire coach | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Duhamel, Radford fire coach

LRK

Record Breaker
i wonder how many of you have seen D/R live. They are fast, powerful, completely in synch and engaged. You don't like their attempt at doing something more traditional? Fine... at least, they tried to push themselves into a softer more lyrical zone and IMHO it's already paying off. Be reassured next year : both of their programs are within their strength as they are bringing back a revamped version of their glorious Muse LP.

I did like their long, as I've said before; and I know I'm one of the few who did. I also thought it was a nice contrast to their short, which was far more dynamic (and which I also liked) - sadly, I never saw either skated to potential.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did like their long, as I've said before; and I know I'm one of the few who did. I also thought it was a nice contrast to their short, which was far more dynamic (and which I also liked) - sadly, I never saw either skated to potential.

the long was only skated well once... in the souvenir georges-ethier ( a small summer competition) have you seen it?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I thought D/R's LP for 2016-17 was an attempt to do something more in the "traditional" pairs style and I didn't like it. I especially noticed that Meagan's costume just didn't seem to suit her at all. While I understand a need to push your comfort zone or try a new style, I think this pair has been around long enough to have done that. So, knowing it is their final season, I hope to see them do something that suits them. Sure, they want to go for medals, but why not go out doing something you really enjoy?

I actually liked their LP last season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here it is...

i loved the music so i was biased towards the program... but i can see why people didn't love it as they were indeed more at ease in their previous 2 LPS.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
If she really cared to go the mainstream there are a few simple things she could do. Not saying she should. Wear flowy sleeves and skirts. And since she cut her hair again - get extensions and let it flow. If she continues work on dance and lines she will match Radford better. Not everyone was made to be the pretty princess and romantic couples. Look at Gabby and Guillaume. They have chemistry but no romantic vibe at all. He is like an artist with his stares and dancer build.

Meagan is a machine. Probably the hardest working and most in shape of all female skaters, ever. A vegan, and the kind of person who adopts stray puppies in Korea. The last thing I could ever see her do, is go mainstream. She is her own unique person and Pairs Skating has been improved because of her and Eric's partnership.

"With a rebel yell, she cried more, more, more!"

LRK

Record Breaker
Here it is...

i loved the music so i was biased towards the program... but i can see why people didn't love it as they were indeed more at ease in their previous 2 LPS.

Thank you - Really nice to see.:)

(There's a flowing, dream-like quality to it, I think. I'm not sure if "unworldly" or "otherworldly" is exactly the right word, but something like that. Maybe that is why the mistakes, when they crop up, are more noticeable, as they disturb that... serenity, and make people think of it as a "bad" program? I don't know - or maybe I've just got different taste than most people.;) ETA - There is also an Epic feel to it - and I love Epic.:) )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you - Really nice to see.:)

(There's a flowing, dream-like quality to it, I think. I'm not sure if "unworldly" or "otherworldly" is exactly the right word, but something like that. Maybe that is why the mistakes, when they crop up, are more noticeable, as they disturb that... serenity, and make people think of it as a "bad" program? I don't know - or maybe I've just got different taste than most people.;) ETA - There is also an Epic feel to it - and I love Epic.:) )

yup... it has to be flawless ... i think that was the issue all year. too bad they peaked with it in august

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Meagan is 31 years old. She's been skating for almost three decades. She's a workhorse who is passionate about both the pairs discipline, AND the entire sport in general, and she thrives to set goals for her and Eric and crush them. Do we really need to be telling her that she needs to reinvent herself at this point? She and Eric are taking steps via this coaching change to hopefully improve themselves for this important season that is quickly approaching. What more do some of you want?

bobbob

Medalist
So Meagan and Eric are basically screwing over everyone currently working with Gauthier and Marcotte by forcing them to choose one or the other. Or are Gauthier and Marcotte still working together but just not with them? Still a very awkward situation. If the former is true, in many cases the skater(s) will have to change rinks and training environments too... this is not just about them or their Olympic quest at this point...there are probably (including non elite pairs) dozens of skaters affected by this one change, just because of their unwillingness to share a rink with Richard Gauthier... Why don't they continue as is WHILE adding on Zimmerman and Kerr... I see no conflict. Or just go with Zimmerman and Kerr, Bruno will understand... This seems like a sensible change in theory but the way it is being done seems extremely messy and selfish, in my opinion.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So Meagan and Eric are basically screwing over everyone currently working with Gauthier and Marcotte by forcing them to choose one or the other. Or are Gauthier and Marcotte still working together but just not with them? Still a very awkward situation. If the former is true, in many cases the skater(s) will have to change rinks and training environments too... this is not just about them or their Olympic quest at this point...there are probably (including non elite pairs) dozens of skaters affected by this one change, just because of their unwillingness to share a rink with Richard Gauthier... Why don't they continue as is WHILE adding on Zimmerman and Kerr... I see no conflict. Or just go with Zimmerman and Kerr, Bruno will understand... This seems like a sensible change in theory but the way it is being done seems extremely messy and selfish, in my opinion.

sigh.. why assuming the worst case scenario first instead of the most logical one or simply reading about it?

marcotte and gauthier are still working together and will continue doing so.

marcotte coaches singles at a different rink and that's where D/R will be relocating. 20 big minutes away from their previous rink.

they are doing it exactly because it's simple enough and doesn't affect anyone else.

bobbob

Medalist
sigh.. why assuming the worst case scenario first instead of the most logical one or simply reading about it?

marcotte and gauthier are still working together and will continue doing so.

marcotte coaches singles at a different rink and that's where D/R will be relocating. 20 big minutes away from their previous rink.

they are doing it exactly because it's simple enough and doesn't affect anyone else.

Hmm...I'm not sure which is true because there are conflicting ideas as I read through this forum. I still don't understand why they are "firing" Richard Gauthier--so they want one less person helping them? They can go to Zimmerman and Kerr either way. If I were advising them, I would suggest a change of head coach because I don't think too much will be changed without changing the head coach. Maybe there's more to the story than we know. Maybe change in terms of skating is not what they are going for though, their motives seem unclear. She did post on twitter something to the effect of "If you don't know the whole story, and you don't, please don't judge" so I'm guessing there's more to it than we are thinking.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hmm...I'm not sure which is true because there are conflicting ideas as I read through this forum. I still don't understand why they are "firing" Richard Gauthier--so they want one less person helping them? They can go to Zimmerman and Kerr either way. If I were advising them, I would suggest a change of head coach because I don't think too much will be changed without changing the head coach. Maybe there's more to the story than we know. Maybe change in terms of skating is not what they are going for though, their motives seem unclear. She did post on twitter something to the effect of "If you don't know the whole story, and you don't, please don't judge" so I'm guessing there's more to it than we are thinking.

I was about to say, we aren't privy to what is going on. But maybe there was nothing wrong except they were slipping in terms of results. As far as differing opinions, I get the sense that you're just looking for them to be the bad guys in this --- messy/selfish? Come on... if they stuck with the same coach and lost, you'd probably criticize them for not making a move or mixing things up. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

It's crazy how people are making a big deal about this when skaters in the past have made decisions like this.

I would have been like "Go ahead, judge us. But you're not one of the 9 judges that matter come February." :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here it is...

A little late to the party, but I LOVED this music, loved the color of the costumes, and I found I was mesmerized by their SBS 3Lz. Such a shame they couldn't do it at Worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think in some cases, one partner will be unlikely to match the elegance or artistry/expression of their counterpart. To me, D/R is an anomaly because usually it's the lady who is the "artistic" one and the guy who is more of the "workhorse" of the pair (see: Stolbova/Klimov, Savchenko/Massot, Yu/Zhang). I do appreciate Sui/Han and James/Cipres for complementing each other more, but more than that, I appreciate the diversity of pairs teams and them not all having the same style (or pretty flowy dress / flowing haircut).

Meagan would look super odd in a flowy dress and extensions. And I think they want to win being themselves - hence the lack of warhorses or trying to look like the classic pairs team.

On a related note, when Bourne/Kraatz won their World title I was excited, but kind of upset that they changed their style to suit the judges to win it with a more European style. I mean, they had to - it was either conform and win or don't confirm and lose. I also felt the same about Asada with her Masquerade Waltz in 2010, which was wayyy to heavy for her, and came across as an attempt to put on a persona and pander to the judges' tastes. I do like though, that things have changed and the judges (and skaters!) are opening themselves up to newer styles, which is why we see skaters like P/C winning, and greater diversity in program choices. Of course, half the field will revert in an Olympic year and either go back to previously successful programs (like D/R are planning to) or choose warhorses that they know will appeal to the judges.

Bottom line: D/R have shown they can win being themselves, so (win or lose) hopefully they will put out an Olympic performance that is truly reflective of themselves and on their own terms.

You want heavy? Try Asada and Bells of Moscow. That's heavy duty heavy.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You want heavy? Try Asada and Bells of Moscow. That's heavy duty heavy.

Oops I meant Bells of Moscow!!! :laugh: Although masquerade waltz was a bit heavy too (I don't mind it as a Short program). But yeah, I will never ger Bells of Moscow out of my head --- man, it's like she had a Russian coach or something. ;)