Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.D.

Record Breaker

To clarify - at least up until Nationals this year...by that point, the harsh criticism was fully warranted.

It's easy to build someone up and up and up and at the least sign of them not living up to this unattainable ideal, tear into them (shades of Sasha Cohen 2005-2006) - whereas, other performers who mess up, but aren't hyped nearly as much, are given more slack/leeway. In the case of Gold, once she fell into a SUSTAINED slump, and Nationals came by and she showed no signs of climbing out of the slump, then it's understandable, and fair game at that point.

Amei

Record Breaker
Exactly. I think this "stilted performance" people speak of is a product of the Frank Carroll partnership, which was a mismatch if I ever saw one. And that represents nearly her entire senior career up to this point. Skaters in their 20s ought to have more autonomy and ownership of their careers by that time.

She obviously had a lot of input on her exhibition choices over the years.

Lipnitskaia wanted to skate Schindler's List for the Olympic season, she was 15,in a deep Russian field and fought for skating to it, Gracie is older and seems to go along to get along. I really wonder with Gracie of does she skate because she loves it or because she is talented at it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I agree and as harsh as it may sound. If she can't at the very least, land her basic triples by the GP, let alone backload them, I wish she'd give her GP spots away and train 8hours a day. I LOVE Gracie and I think it is her lack of fitness and stamina that keeps her body from executing the jumps that she knows, in her mind, how to do. I don't know if that made sense but, we have all seen skater's hit puberty and lose their jumps. I realize that Gracie is past puberty but, she's seems to be experiencing the same symptoms....

I agree. But it almost seems like the obvious is right in front of us: She is probably injured. MrRice, whenever you were injured didn't you try to keep it under wraps? And yeah, looking like you'd rather be anywhere but out there is a very good sign of an injury. If she doesn't improve in the next few months I think she'll retire. There is no other reason she should be skating so poorly, even if she's 'over it'. She could still do a couple of angry 3toes or 2axels. Sure she has gained weight, but her jumps were NEVER jumps that you'd wonder what would happen to her if she gained weight, like with Caroline Zhang. Gracie had tons of room to spare in her jumps.

It must be tough on her, because I'm sure there are many $$$ deals based on her ability to make it to the Olys. Similar to Kwan in 2006, she was injured and was NEVER going to be competitive but she just kept a lid on it for $$$ purposes.

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree. But it almost seems like the obvious is right in front of us: She is probably injured. MrRice, whenever you were injured didn't you try to keep it under wraps? And yeah, looking like you'd rather be anywhere but out there is a very good sign of an injury. If she doesn't improve in the next few months I think she'll retire. There is no other reason she should be skating so poorly, even if she's 'over it'. She could still do a couple of angry 3toes or 2axels. Sure she has gained weight, but her jumps were NEVER jumps that you'd wonder what would happen to her if she gained weight, like with Caroline Zhang. Gracie had tons of room to spare in her jumps.

It must be tough on her, because I'm sure there are many $$$ deals based on her ability to make it to the Olys. Similar to Kwan in 2006, she was injured and was NEVER going to be competitive but she just kept a lid on it for $$$ purposes.

Weeeeeell... At least imho - she had such a BAD season, that it damages her reputation way more than being injured and being treated. Specially coming into Olympic year - she lost most of the reputation she had, which wouldn't happen if she just took this time off to treat whatever she has.
And Gracie never really had room to spare - she always had consistency issues (which, yes, means that with any minor change the jumps would get worse).

ssffww

On the Ice
The only time I felt anyone was too harsh was one of the British commentators following her 2016 worlds skate in Boston who said when Ashley Wagner took to the ice, "Gracie Gold has bombed and bombed big time." I don't consider a 211+ score and a 4th place finish "bombing big time."

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only time I felt anyone was too harsh was one of the British commentators following her 2016 worlds skate in Boston who said when Ashley Wagner took to the ice, "Gracie Gold has bombed and bombed big time." I don't consider a 211+ score and a 4th place finish "bombing big time."

Me neither. In almost any other year Gracie would have come away with a medal of some kind but last year's Ladies event from SP to LP was one of the best skated Worlds i've ever seen from the top ladies in the top 10. Seven ladies topped over 200 points which is insane.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Of course the media was harsh on Gracie. Hell, even some of the netizens on here were brutal. Especially for someone who has been competing in a very tough field. She's never finished outside of the top 10 at Worlds. Ashley Wagner has a 'carpe diem' attitude because she's older and really has got nothing to lose. Gracie came out of the field with a whole country's worth of pressure because she was a star from the very beginning. Someone after all that's happened- because Mirai is a more likeable, warmer character- her disappointing slump was deemed more of a heroic struggle (I mean, yes, they royally f****d her in 2014), yet Gracie's slump year people have turned into some kind of massive how-dare-you-disappoint-the-US-fiasco.

Also- how is Gracie Gold the Donald Trump of FS? That's just ignorant and offensive. If you're going to use any kind of comparison, comparing a young lady who seems to be struggling with self-esteem issues and confidence to the most misogynistic and bigoted US President to have ever come into office- it's hyperbolic and quite frankly, disgusting.

She's never going to be Ashley Wagner on the ice, and people need to stop expecting her to be. She's no more a performer than Wagner's jumps that are called rotated. Gracie is a textbook skater, who- given the right piece of music, can deliver an athletic performance with good aesthetics. People need to cut her some slack.

As far as Tara Lipinski's commentaries go- whatever b***h. When you have competed for longer than a short blip of a pre-pubescent career, then you can give valid remarks. She knew when to quit then- she should know when to quit now.

jf12

Final Flight
Gracie is one of the most talented skaters to never win a medal of any kind (so far) at any major international competition. Though I don't think their coverage is unfair, both the positive hype and negative backlash as the next big hope for US Ladies skating has probably got into her head with the pressure, and it probably affects her more than it affects others.

Taken overall, Gracie's 2015-16 season was objectively the most successful of her senior career - she won a GP gold, made the GP final, and got 4th at Worlds, against a more difficult field than the year before. A lot of skaters would have been happy with it, and even though she could have done a lot better, she could have taken her experiences as a good stepping stone to get used to nerves at big competitions. Instead of that, her statements after worlds showed she felt she let down the entire USA and started this tailspin she's in now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From LiamForeman, It must be tough on her, because I'm sure there are many $$$ deals based on her ability to make it to the Oly. Similar to Kwan in 2006, shse was injured and was NEVER going to be competitive but she just kept a lid on it for $$$ purposes.[/QUOTE

This sentence is quite true. I imagine the skaters are paid well for these summer shows and in most cases, they need the money to pay for coaching, costuming, travel, and living expenses. When I was touring, Bengay, Tylenol, and bandages of every type were our best friends. Our contracts made it clear that if we had an injury that kept us from performing our duties for 2 weeks or more, we'd replaced in our show. We bought insurance just in case we were injured and I'd be surprised if Gracie doesn't have it as well.

Depending on the injury (If she has one) she could be doing more damage to her body. When you compensate for an injured muscle or ligament, you often put more stress on other parts of your body and that's when skaters/dancers can sustain career ending injuries.

pjskater

Rinkside
Of course the media was harsh on Gracie. Hell, even some of the netizens on here were brutal. Especially for someone who has been competing in a very tough field. She's never finished outside of the top 10 at Worlds. Ashley Wagner has a 'carpe diem' attitude because she's older and really has got nothing to lose. Gracie came out of the field with a whole country's worth of pressure because she was a star from the very beginning. Someone after all that's happened- because Mirai is a more likeable, warmer character- her disappointing slump was deemed more of a heroic struggle (I mean, yes, they royally f****d her in 2014), yet Gracie's slump year people have turned into some kind of massive how-dare-you-disappoint-the-US-fiasco.

Also- how is Gracie Gold the Donald Trump of FS? That's just ignorant and offensive. If you're going to use any kind of comparison, comparing a young lady who seems to be struggling with self-esteem issues and confidence to the most misogynistic and bigoted US President to have ever come into office- it's hyperbolic and quite frankly, disgusting.

She's never going to be Ashley Wagner on the ice, and people need to stop expecting her to be. She's no more a performer than Wagner's jumps that are called rotated. Gracie is a textbook skater, who- given the right piece of music, can deliver an athletic performance with good aesthetics. People need to cut her some slack.

As far as Tara Lipinski's commentaries go- whatever b***h. When you have competed for longer than a short blip of a pre-pubescent career, then you can give valid remarks. She knew when to quit then- she should know when to quit now.

:thumbsup::yahoo::agree:

Amei

Record Breaker

The big difference for me between Mirai's struggles and Gracie's struggles, watching Mirai skate even when she's doing poorly I don't get the feeling based on her behavior that she doesn't want to skate, Gracie on the other hand, I get the impression she would rather be doing anything but skating.

bevybean

On the Ice

Part of the problem with Gracie's performance quality is that she has a very different style than other US skaters. She has a very "old school" Broadway style of performance. Her "All That Jazz" exhibition piece was great because the song fits that performance style. Whereas Ashley Wagner has a more of an earthy style that lends to a deeper emotional content. It's like trying to compare an "Anything Goes" production to a "Le Miz" production. And not everyone likes both styles.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Taken overall, Gracie's 2015-16 season was objectively the most successful of her senior career - she won a GP gold, made the GP final, and got 4th at Worlds, against a more difficult field than the year before. A lot of skaters would have been happy with it, and even though she could have done a lot better, she could have taken her experiences as a good stepping stone to get used to nerves at big competitions. Instead of that, her statements after worlds showed she felt she let down the entire USA and started this tailspin she's in now.

While it was her best season, saying she should have been happy with her Worlds performance ignores the context. She was in a position to win after the SP, had the technical arsenal to win the LP, and was physically in the best shape of her life. Anyone, understandably, would have been disappointed if they were unable to present their best effort under these circumstances. That she slipped to 4th and watched her countrywoman medal was probably especially hard.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was the media harsh on Gracie? For me the question has always been is Gracie hard enough on herself? I think this headlining gig at Sun Valley will be very telling. Someone please show us footage. It's a matter of online life and death :p

desertskates

Medalist
Was the media harsh on Gracie? For me the question has always been is Gracie hard enough on herself? I think this headlining gig at Sun Valley will be very telling. Someone please show us footage. It's a matter of online life and death :p

I agree with this 100%. I've really held back on saying anything about her SOI performances, because I'm not sure what to think. But it seems that if she was going to do anything about her level of fitness as far as being labored and sluggish, that needs to be a work in serious progress right now. I think Sun Valley will tell us all exactly what we can expect.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

bevybean

On the Ice
While it was her best season, saying she should have been happy with her Worlds performance ignores the context. She was in a position to win after the SP, had the technical arsenal to win the LP, and was physically in the best shape of her life. Anyone, understandably, would have been disappointed if they were unable to present their best effort under these circumstances. That she slipped to 4th and watched her countrywoman medal was probably especially hard.

Yes and no. I think initial disappointment is understandable, but at a certain point you need to realize that you are 4th IN THE WORLD which is a lot better than most other skaters can say --well actually better than all but 3 of them can say. The true issue is that for some reason, that we may never know, she lost her resilience to bounce back and see the season objectively. And I don't mean to imply that it is easy to bounce back, just necessary to avoid the tailspin that was 2017-18 for her.

jf12

Final Flight

Everyone knows that she isn't the best competitor. That season she managed to put together clean programs at many major competitions. She improved artistically. She brought a great short to Worlds. A more typical response would be that she had an overall decent result for the season, that it was a stepping stone, with some things to work on or improve for next season (For example, after Nathan's disappointing result for worlds in 2017, you do not see him letting up). For a skater who isn't new to Seniors, who never finished above 4th at worlds, to get into such a depression after getting 4th again, might be viewed as a little disrespectful to other competitors who also try their hardest to medal and deal with nerves as well. I don't think that's what she intends, but shows that the pressure she was under might have been too high for her.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I haven't felt the media have treated Gracie as much badly as Ashley (remember the fiasco regarding the Sochi team selection and aftermaths), but I guess the high expectation towards Gracie whose potentials never peaked at the right timings and places such as 2016 Worlds except her National showings may let down a lot of writers as well (as they are human after all).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A more typical response would be that she had an overall decent result for the season, that it was a stepping stone, with some things to work on or improve for next season

She had all the technical and artistic goods needed to take the title. She simply isn't a fierce competitor. After failing to win a major title yet again, I'm not sure what she could be told to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.