I want to apologize to Nagasu and Wagner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I want to apologize to Nagasu and Wagner

geige

On the Ice
Oh, soccer didn't start that fury. I know it. Lots of Nagasu fans did. soccer just seems to presume it was them? But soccer started another thread, a couple of days ago, about Nagasu's "Winner Takes It All" FS and mentioned the "controversy" then, so that seems at odds with this thread.

I'd have thought a reigning National champion, with the technical arsenal the USFS had supposedly demanded of its skaters in their division, and with comparable that-season results to the two skaters who did go, had a very good reason to be heartbroken, and more right to be upset than a skater who had had a mediocre at best season and pulled two decent skates out of nowhere at Nationals, both of which were given soft treatment by the tech panel...

According to the Nagasu fans, she was the only one with the right to be upset, even though she'd had a bad season (and Wagner a very good one), even though if the tech panel had been sterner it wouldn't have been an issue anyway (hello URs). She was the one filing appeals and suchlike. Meanwhile, reigning National Champion Aaron put on a brave smile, hugged the two who would go, blamed himself, would not even consider a petition or an appeal, had to skate his exhibition in front of a crowd that went crazy for Nagasu and were silent and unresponsive for him, and proceeded to have nightmares about the whole thing for months.

But y'know, only Nagasu was allowed to be upset about missing the Olympic team. :rolleye:

You have got to chill out, and stop trying to stir pointless arguments. First of all, there was never any reason to bring Max into this. Also, I am a giant fan of Mirai, and I, along with most Mirai fans, understand that Ashley had a very convincing case. You are the only one here who continues to beat the dead horse and reiterate arguments that have been made time and time and time again.

I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. This is pointless, and doesn't need more prodding. Contact the skaters personally if you feel up to it, but this topic is almost 3 and a half years old, so I'm sure trying to stir it up again would do more harm than good.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh, soccer didn't start that fury. I know it. Lots of Nagasu fans did. soccer just seems to presume it was them? But soccer started another thread, a couple of days ago, about Nagasu's "Winner Takes It All" FS and mentioned the "controversy" then, so that seems at odds with this thread.

I'd have thought a reigning National champion, with the technical arsenal the USFS had supposedly demanded of its skaters in their division, and with comparable that-season results to the two skaters who did go, had a very good reason to be heartbroken, and more right to be upset than a skater who had had a mediocre at best season and pulled two decent skates out of nowhere at Nationals, both of which were given soft treatment by the tech panel...

According to the Nagasu fans, she was the only one with the right to be upset, even though she'd had a bad season (and Wagner a very good one), even though if the tech panel had been sterner it wouldn't have been an issue anyway (hello URs). She was the one filing appeals and suchlike. Meanwhile, reigning National Champion Aaron put on a brave smile, hugged the two who would go, blamed himself, would not even consider a petition or an appeal, had to skate his exhibition in front of a crowd that went crazy for Nagasu and were silent and unresponsive for him, and proceeded to have nightmares about the whole thing for months.

But y'know, only Nagasu was allowed to be upset about missing the Olympic team. :rolleye:

Oh are you Max Aaron? I mean how would you know about his nightmares?

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
would they even read this? And I am confused because it looks like Soccer just joined GS? Maybe there is a translation issue?
Or maybe they ('soccer') had another username then, got banned later, and have joined with a new username now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
3 years later ... I just want to apologize my bad word about the Olympic choice between Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner.

I was nasty to Ashley and I regret the words I said about her in this particular thread : Was Mirai Nagasu screwed over by the USFS?

.... And, I promise to not make any drama or controversial thread about any choice of federation in the future.

seems like the user wrote a thread almost 4 years ago but joining date is less than 10 days ago :scard8:

I for one gotta take soccer's "promise" with many large grains of salt ... b/c s/he did not refrain from stirring up controversy by attempting to reincarnate a previous thread for inappropriate speculation about skaters and religion.
I believe that soccer -- under whatever the old GS username was -- is the one who had started the old thread about religion as well. It was uncanny how the OPs of the old and newer threads had very similar wording.
I would find it hard to believe that soccer had forgotten that the mods had closed the original thread.
And yet soccer thought it would be OK to start another thread on the same unacceptable topic.

Oh are you Max Aaron? I mean how would you know about his nightmares?

Long after Sochi, it came up briefly in a Max interview how heavily it weighed on his mind when he did not make the team. Including nightmares.

... it was pretty irritating that Nagasu fans were carrying on like she was the only heartbroken one.

... According to the Nagasu fans, she was the only one with the right to be upset ...

...But y'know, only Nagasu was allowed to be upset about missing the Olympic team. :rolleye:

I have to believe that you are referring to only a very few (at most) GS posts -- out of gazillions -- after 2014 Nats.

Without claiming to remember every single one of the gazillions of posts, I myself do not recall any that said or even implied that "only Nagasu was allowed to be upset."

As a fellow Max fan, I was devastated that he did not make the Sochi team. I cried :sad4: and cried :sad4: many times for him during that period, and I still get a bit teary whenever I think about it.

The outcome of the ladies at 2014 Nats obviously was highly unexpected in more ways than one. So of course it got a lot of attention.
- Before 2014 Nats, I did not hear anyone at all predicting that the pewter medalist (whoever she might turn out to be) would be selected for Sochi and that the bronze medalist (whoever she might turn out to be) would not.
- Most (AFAIK) were surprised that Polina placed second.
- Not very many (AFAIK) expected Mirai to place third.
- And it had been downright unthinkable that Ashley would end up placing fourth.​
I understood why Ashley was named to the team (and I was one of the GS members repeatedly noting thereafter that USFS had made the selection rules public in advance), but at the same time, I felt terrible for Mirai. I cried :sad4: for her too.

The extra attention on the ladies did not mean that there was any widespread opinion (among Mirai fans or among fans in general) that Max and others did not have "a right to be upset."
It was totally natural and understandable for Max to be heartbroken. For Dornbush and Adam to be heartbroken. For Christina and Agnes to be heartbroken. For Denney/Coughlin to be heartbroken. To mention just a few.

I cried for Max. But at the same time, I did not and do not have an objection to the U.S. men chosen to go to Sochi.
I cried for Mirai. But at the same time, I did not and do not have an objection to the U.S. ladies chosen to go to Sochi.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
While you're at it 'soccer', I think you should apologize to all GS members and staff, for started 2 of the most awkward Threads ever of this Forum. Last week on skaters and their religious affiliation and now this public confession. Amen!

Here's a thought, why not think about some real topics of interest to skating fans, before starting yet another limiting Thread on GS.

soccer

Match Penalty
While you're at it 'soccer', I think you should apologize to all GS members and staff, for started 2 of the most awkward Threads ever of this Forum. Last week on skaters and their religious affiliation and now this public confession. Amen!

Here's a thought, why not think about some real topics of interest to skating fans, before starting yet another limiting Thread on GS.

I apologize to you and all GS members. I like you Osmond4gold even if you don't like my post.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I apologize to you and all GS members. I like you Osmond4gold even if you don't like my post.

If it makes you feel better and as someone who was harsh on Ashley and already having made a similar apology myself....I'll simply say thank you. I can understand how it makes us feel better to admit our mistakes and move forward. Life lessons only help us grow when we recognize them. :)