Favourite Warhorse Interpretation | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favourite Warhorse Interpretation

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know how other's feel about Riverdance but, I think it's bit modern to be considered a "Warhorse." To me, it's a bit like Cirque Du Soleil. It's wonderful music but, it's not considered "Classic" at least not yet.

I did however, Love Akiko Suzuki's LP to "O" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both of Gubanova's programs were warhorses this year and not only was her Swan incredible but her R&J was amongst the top programs by any skater this season IMO. I hope she does a Pas Da Duex next year :yes: Some people are just born to live out these beautiful masterpiece programs.

andromache

Record Breaker
Both of Gubanova's programs were warhorses this year and not only was her Swan incredible but her R&J was amongst the top programs by any skater this season IMO. I hope she does a Pas Da Duex next year :yes: Some people are just born to live out these beautiful masterpiece programs.

Gubanova and Sasha Cohen.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I said that? :scratch2:. I remember that I did not like the first time, but it was mainly because the costumes :laugh:, after of watch the video 2 or 3 times I fell in love with the program. I do not remember having problems with lifts or unnecessary descriptions :confused:. But that was a long time ago, so I can not be completely sure :unsure:

I read through achieved threads some times ago, so it might've been one of those in 2012-13 season. I remember yours just because I initially agreed with your assessment and became liking it as time went by.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Weathergal

Medalist
Patrick Chan is the warhorse king and the queen is Sasha Cohen

I think Patrick has definitely graduated, and his recent programs show that (I thought him skating to Eric Radford's composition was really cool).

I think Sasha Cohen is a great choice for "warhorse queen" LOL. For warhorse king, I'd say Evan Lysacek. :drama:

I agree that Sasha is entitled to a warhorse queen because she sold her such pieces pretty well. However, while Evan did a lot of warhorse pieces, I think his programs didn't stand out well or beat all other versions except his Carmen at Turin. I've considered his Scheherazade and Firebird quite bizarre in terms of interpretation and overall packages. I can't think he ever ascended the throne of warhorse. :biggrin:

Sorry I wasn't very clear--I meant queen and king because of the amount they did not the quality. Although I would say many of Sasha's were high quality.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
A few warhorses that I really enjoyed were: Suzuki's POTO (despite the fact that I hate POTO with all my heart)

Yes! Props to Akiko Suzuki for making me love POTO. I actually don't mind pieces of the score, but I hate skating programs to POTO. There really hasn't been one that I liked other than Akiko's.

meem

On the Ice
Swan Lake: Ilinykh & Katsalapov 2014--I was tired of Swan Lake until I saw their version, very dark and very stunning.

Rach II: Kwan and Takahashi--two fierce performances, lotsa drama.

Carmen: Cappelini & Lannotte--they brought the Italiano to this old war horse and gave it some life.

Dark Eyes: Sasha Cohen--never really enjoyed this music (or her skating) until she used this number. Maybe her inner Russian came to the surface.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Carmen-Katarina Witt
Malaguena-Kristi Yamaguchi (though Sasha's was excellent)
Turandot-Shen & Zhao
Winter-Alexei Yagudin
Swan Lake-Sasha Cohen
Bolero-Torvill & Dean
Libertango-Grishuk & Platov
The Feeling Begins-Grishuk & Platov
Chopin-Mao Asada
Phantom of the Opera-Davis & White
Rachmaninov-Michelle Kwan
Rachmaninov 2-Miskuteniok & Dimitriev
Moonlight Sonata-Gordeeva & Grinkov
Nino Rota's Romeo & Juliet-Sasha Cohen
Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet-Anissina & Peizerat
Carmina Burana-Anissina & Peizerat
La Strada-Rahkomo & Kokko
City Lights-Pechalat & Bourzat
The Artist-Denis Ten
Tosca-I'm not sure, really. I always think of it as Irina Slutskaya's music, though I probably liked Belbin & Agosto's version the best.
Ave Maria (I just don't like it. Doesn't matter who skates to it).
Aranjuez (Ditto, though Takeshi Honda probably gets dibs on this one)
Schindler's List-Yulia Lipnitskaya
The Godfather-Philippe Candeloro

I do not see what pre/post IJS has to do with it. Either the performance is the signature performance you always think of whenever you hear the name of the music or it isn't. It takes a while for a piece to become a warhorse so I'm sure more of today's great performances will eventually become signature warhorses, but we won't know which ones until they have been used a few dozen more times.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Black Swan:

Ashley Wagner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJlybl-pJ4. Choreography and coaching truly showed what Ashley is capable of artistically, along with Pollack SP. For the first time, programs showed Ashley's fierce nature, power of expression, charisma, and nuances with music.

Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNePevYtNnE. Concept, drama, unison in technique, unison in artistic vision, and dedication to artistry and expression of the music and theme. So powerful.

Both programs show exquisite dedication to portraying a story.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Winter-Alexei Yagudin

I quite agree with some of your assessment and Yagudin's Winter is my all time favorite program, but wonder how the music can be viewed as a warhorse piece though. I guess you put it by mistake instead of his Lawrence of Arabia which is a true warhorse piece?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Amei

Record Breaker
I agree that Sasha is entitled to a warhorse queen because she sold her such pieces pretty well. However, while Evan did a lot of warhorse pieces, I think his programs didn't stand out well or beat all other versions except his Carmen at Turin. I've considered his Scheherazade and Firebird quite bizarre in terms of interpretation and overall packages. I can't think he ever ascended the throne of warhorse. :biggrin:

I agree with you on Evan, for me he was a good solid skater but he never stood out to me as memorable where I think of him on things like this thread.

Barb

Record Breaker
I read through achieved threads some times ago, so it might've been one of those in 2012-13 season. I remember yours just because I initially agreed with your assessment and became liking it as time went by.

I looked for Skate Canada 2012 but I can not open it because it is now private :(. Anyway, fortunately I have come to my senses, it is one of my favorite programs ever :yes:.