2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance

larat

On the Ice
At least 6 are taken by Anthony, Logan and Greens. They will give at least one to Caleb, Luca may be and now Gart plus Ian. I am wondering if they let anybody else in.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Besides the Beckers, which have long been a team to watch, I'd keep my eye on DelCamp/Gart. They seem to have done quite well consider their short partnership.

I also love Katrina's Instagram. Her videos are fun to watch.

FWIW, here's the Nationals results from Jr./Novice (not including Parsons/McNamara & Carpenter)

Junior
2.) Carreira/Ponomarenko
4.) Lewis/Bye
5.) Green/Green
6.) Gropman/Somerville
7.) Efimov/Petrov
8.) Avaz/Katsman
9.) Gunter/Wein

Novice
1.) Haines/ Koszuta,
2.) DelCamp/Gart
3.) Elder/Elder
4.) Tkachenko/Kiliakov (I think she's too young for Jr.)
5.) Amoia/Fraiman (She's now w/ Luca Becker)

Post-season internationals
Jr. Worlds
Carreira/Ponomarenko: 154.68 (3rd)

Bavarian Open
Junior
EFIMOVA / PETROV 121.90 (7th)

Novice
GREEN / GREEN 89.21
ELDER / ELDER 79.04
DELCAMP / GART 74.10

Here's some summer competition dance results:

From the Texas Open
DelCamp/Gart: 122.48
Amoia/Becker: 119.49
Gropman/Somerville 116.24
Elder/Elder 113.58
Nguyen/Kolesnik 110.67 (She is Gart's former partner; there's some talk they will may skate for Ukraine)

SD
DelCamp/Gart 52.18
Gropman/Somerville 51.81
Amoia/Becker: 51.59
ElderElder: 45.24
Nguyen/Kolesnik 44.54

FD
DelCamp/Gart 70.30
Elder/Elder: 68.34
Amoia/Becker: 67.90
Nguyen/Kolesnik 66.13
Gropman/Somerville 64.43

Chesapeake Open (where USFSA Dance Camp was held)

SD:
Lewis/Bye: 56.23
Green/Green: 55.25
Gunter/Wein: 47.85
Cesarek/Usanov: 45.04
Elder/Elder 44.76
Amoia/Becker: 44.08

FD:
Carreira/Ponomarenko: 82.72
Lewis/Bye: 75.94
Nguyen/Kolesnik: 72.68
Gunter/Wein: 65.98
Elder/Elder: 60.98
Haines/Koszuka: 57.30

Here's who is in the International Selection Pool who is Jr. Eligible

Diana Avaz & Val Katsman (spilt?)
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko
Alina Efimova & Alexander Petrov
Caroline Green & Gordon Green
Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville
Emma Gunter & Caleb Wein
Chloe Lewis & Logan Bye

I would expect that DelCamp/Gart will be added, along with a few others. If I was going to say at this moment who would go to JGP, I agree with the post above that Carreira/Ponomarenko, Greens and Lewis and Bye will get 2 spots easy.

That leaves 8 spots.

I believe they will spread the wealth and give a second spot to who ever impresses: Efimova/Petrov, Gropman/Somerville, Gunter/Wein who are already on the ISP and then DelCamp/Gart.

ETA: Forgive me for the typos...

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
At least 6 are taken by Anthony, Logan and Greens. They will give at least one to Caleb, Luca may be and now Gart plus Ian. I am wondering if they let anybody else in.

The partners of those boys you named there. They can't ice dance alone. ;)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I really liked Gropeman/Somerville at last season's Nationals, I hope they can snag 2 spots, their FD was really charming and I thought their SD was fun, it's a guilty pleasure.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

I think wait & see what happens at Lake Placid. It's a BIG event. Debuts are iffy. Wait and see how the teams do now that they have some feedback.

For now, scores are tangled. Nguyen & Kolesnik have the 3rd highest FD score. The Elders defeated Amoia & Becker in both portions of the Chesapeake Open. Cesanek & Usanov defeated the Elders and Amoia & Becker in the SD at the Chesapeake Open. Your predictions are plausible, but wait and see.

Top 10 SD scores:

Lewis & Bye-56.23 (Chesapeake)
Green & Green-55.25 (Chesapeake)
DelCamp & Gart-52.18 (Texas)
Gropman & Somerville-51.81 (Texas)
Amoia & Becker-51.59 (Texas)
Gunter & Wein-47.85 (Chesapeake)
Elder & Elder-45.24 (Texas)
Cesanek & Usanov-45.04 (Chesapeake)
Elder & Elder-44.76 (Chesapeake)
Nguyen & Kolesnik-44.54 (Texas)

Top 10 FD scores:

Carreira & Ponomarenko-82.72 (Chesapeake)
Lewis & Bye-76.94 (Chesapeake)
Nguyen & Kolesnik-72.68 (Chesapeake)
DelCamp & Gart-70.30 (Texas)
Elder & Elder-68.34 (Texas)
Amoia & Becker-67.90 (Texas)
Nguyen & Kolesnik-66.13 (Texas)
Gunter & Wein-65.98 (Chesapeake)
Gropman & Somerville-64.43 (Texas)
Elder & Elder-60.98 (Chesapeake)

Top 10 Overall scores: (Note: Many teams at the Chesapeake competed in only one portion of the competition).
Lewis & Bye-133.17 (Chesapeake)
DelCamp & Gart-122.48 (Texas)
Amoia & Becker 119.49 (Texas)
Gropman & Somerville 116.24 (Texas)
Gunter & Wein-113.83 (Chesapeake)
Elder & Elder-113.58 (Texas)
Nguyen & Kolesnik-110.67 (Texas)
Elder & Elder-105.74 (Chesapeake)
Amoia & Becker-104.96 (Chesapeake)
Haines & Koszuta 100.44 (Chesapeake)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Besides the Beckers, which have long been a team to watch, I'd keep my eye on DelCamp/Gart. They seem to have done quite well consider their short partnership.

I believe they will spread the wealth and give a second spot to who ever impresses: Efimova/Petrov, Gropman/Somerville, Gunter/Wein who are already on the ISP and then DelCamp/Gart.

The Beckers no longer exist. This is a new partnership for Luca so we will have to see how it goes. (My guess is not badly. I always thought he was the stronger partner).

Efimova & Petrov lost to a lot of teams in both portions of the Chesapeake Open, and didn't do too well at the Bavarian Open after Nationals. They may have to prove themselves, despite being on the ISP.

Spreading the wealth will depend on how teams do at their first JGP event. If teams can score high enough to meet USFSA's criteria for earning a second JGP spot, then I think any team that does so early on will get a second one. If teams cannot, then--as we saw last season--they won't get the second spot. Hopefully someone else will because we already have a number of teams that are proving themselves more competitive than last year's new teams did early in the season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Added to the International Selection Pool (ISP)::)
-DelCamp & Gart
-Amoia & Becker
-The Elders

Removed from the ISP:
Avas & Katsman

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Added to the International Selection Pool (ISP)::)
-DelCamp & Gart
-Amoia & Becker
-The Elders

Removed from the ISP:
Avas & Katsman

So that means the JGP eligible list of teams is now (in order of nationals finish/level):
Carreira & Ponomarenko (J2)
Lewis & Bye (J4)
Green & Green (J5)
Gropman & Somerville (J6)
Efimova & Petrov (J7)
Gunter & Wein (J9)
DelCamp & Gart (N2)
Elder & Elder (N3)
Amoia & Becker (NEW)

Assuming (and it's a major assumption at this point) USFS gives them all a shot at one JGP, 5 teams will be able to get a second event. They will definitely need to use up all their dance spots!

Also what's up with Haines & Koszuta? They won novice but haven't done great in summer comps (or rather the one summer comp) so far.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Also what's up with Haines & Koszuta? They won novice but haven't done great in summer comps (or rather the one summer comp) so far.

Other teams can still be added. According to FSU, the score for junior dance teams to beat this summer in order to be added to the selection pool is 112. We'll see what happens. (Amoia & Becker went up 14 points between their first two events).

I think you answered your own question. Haines & Koszuta have only competed in one competition. Give them & their coaches time to respond to the feedback. Both the Elders and Amoia & Becker saw their scores rise. Also, Haines & Koszuta were a brand new team only midway through last season. It was a huge & startling feat for them to win Eastern Sectionals & Nationals (where they did split placements). It's also worth noting that Juniors have an SD while Novices compete two compulsory dances instead. DelCamp & Gart were brand new early last season. Nguyen & Kolesnik and Amoia & Becker are new this season. It is more likely a sign that the level of competition is deeper & has raised the bar. Plus both DelCamp & Gart and the Elders had the benefit of proving themselves in international competition at the Bavarian Open after Nationals while Haines & Koszuta were not age-eligible for international Advanced Novice. And, finally, DelCamp & Gart didn't go head to head with all these other teams at the Chesapeake Open so there isn't a direct comparison there.

In any case, Haines & Koszuta bested Efimova & Petrov in both portions of the Chesapeake Open.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The entry lists for the Lake Placid International and the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships are linked in the Summer Competitions forum.

For the U.S., essentially the entire U.S. junior dance field will be there. Plus the Parsons, McNamara & Carpenter, Pogrebinsky & Benoit, Biechler & Dodge, and Manta & Johnson going head-to-head in the senior international event.

chameleon

On the Ice
Well, Lake Placid was an incredibly interesting event in both juniors and seniors. Carreira/Ponomarenko have improved a lot and look very ready to try to win JW. Meanwhile, there's a brawl between Greens, Lewis/Bye, and Gropman/Somerville for the remaining two spots. I was very impressed by G/S's growth, they seemed about to fall behind last season but they've really upped their game.

Meanwhile in seniors M/C seem to have shaken off the disasters of the past season and are back on form. Parsons had a strong debut too, though I'm less sold on their FD. Pogrebinsky/Benoit clearly improved and matured a lot, and are really highlighting their size well this season, but some bobbles in the SD and a big mistake on the lift cost them. It's going to be an interesting season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Nguyen & Kolesnik have been added to the International Selection Pool. (I highly recommend watching their FD if you can find it). If you combine their scores from Lake Placid, they have the fifth highest junior total from the event after Carreira & Ponomarenko, Lewis & Bye, The Greens, and Gropman & Somerville.

:hap10:For McNamara & Carpenter:hap10:

chameleon

On the Ice
Nguyen & Kolesnik have been added to the International Selection Pool. (I highly recommend watching their FD if you can find it). If you combine their scores from Lake Placid, they have the fifth highest junior total from the event after Carreira & Ponomarenko, Lewis & Bye, The Greens, and Gropman & Somerville.

:hap10:For McNamara & Carpenter:hap10:

Nguyen/Kolesnik FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QncwAYNSYYw

I was quite charmed. For such a new team they had a great debut. I look forward to seeing them progress over the season!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Madison and Zach for taking the Silver Medal in Japan. The finished just behind World and Olympic Champions, Tessa and Scott. It looks like Nationals is going to be a battle in what could be the USA's deepest category, Dance.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Madi and Zach's silver at NHK is awesome! I was interested to hear that one of the B.Esp. guys, either Simon or Chris I think, agreed with me. I enjoyed H/D FD more than V/M, because of the smoothness, because it was more like a dance and it made me forget about all the technical elements even though the technique was very impressive AFAIK ... and because of the incredible emotional build-up as the dance progressed, a slow burn of passion. I'm also quite impressed with the unusual sound at the beginning, with a build-up to and through the twizzles, which are usually the element that takes me right out of a program, like, okay, here is this hard element, let's see if they mess up These twizzles expressed more in harmony with the program.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And ... Ta Da! Congratulations to Maddie and Evan for their silver medal at Cup of China last week.

I already love their FD to Imagine. I'm quite fond of the instrumental interlude of Imagine in the middle that is arranged in waltz tempo. Maddie and Evan already performed it lyrically and with a wonderful hopeful mood, illustrating the theme of the music and what they wanted to say about peace and respect for all, an olympic ideal. I really believe that Christopher Dean's choreography will reveal more nuances as C/B develop it over the season. I look forward to seeing it deepen and develop in the coming months! Their lifts, as always, are spectacular.