2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Scores this season for the dance teams fighting for 4CCs, provided the top 3 teams do not go to Four Continents:

Note: I'm throwing every event I can think of onto this list--ISU events, Senior Bs, Summer events, Sectionals--so take the comparisons with a grain of salt. But more information is better in this case, IMO.

Overall:
170.24 Hawayek & Baker (Dance Chicago)
165.26 McNamara & Carpenter (Lake Placid International)
165.20 Hawayek & Baker (Skate Canada)
163.88 Hawayek & Baker (Golden Spin)
163.53 Hawayek & Baker (Skate America)
163.14 The Parsons (Ondrej Nepela)
160.51 McNamara & Carpenter (Warsaw Cup)
157.61 McNamara & Carpenter (Cup of China)
156.82 The Parsons (Lake Placid International)
154.50 McNamara & Carpenter (Autumn Classic)
154.14 Pogrebinsky & Benoit (Internationaux de France)
153.55 Hawayek & Baker
152.38 The Parsons (Golden Spin)
152.13 Pogrebinsky & Benoit (Lake Placid International)
150.74 Pogrebinsky & Benoit (Tallinn Trophy)
150.47 Pogrebinsky & Benoit (Cup of China)
150.42 Pogrebinsky & Benoit (Lombardia)
149.18 Biechler & Dodge (Eastern Sectionals)
148.75 The Parsons (Rostelecom)
145.54 The Parsons (Skate America)
143.89 Aldridge & Eaton (Midwestern Sectionals)
143.25 Manta & Johnson (Lake Placid International)
141.78 McNamara & Carpenter (Finlandia)
138.99 Manta & Johnson (Midwestern Sectionals)
135.17 Biechler & Dodge (Lake Placid International)
127.12 Biechler & Dodge (U.S. Classic)
126.48 Manta & Johnson (Nebelhorn)
119.79 Biechler & Dodge (Finlandia)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Or if they already had major junior success like winning or medaling at Junior Worlds. If they do it pretty young, then I think he would probably move them up not have them stay in Juniors like WISA did with McNamara/Carpenter. I remember Belbin/Agosto, Chock/Zuerlein, the Shibs, and others who could have stayed in juniors age wise but moved up pretty soon after they became age eligible even when the senior ranks were established domestically.

Hi VIETgrlTerifa, just wanted to answer this post of yours without taking over the Russian Ice Dance thread any longer.

I understand the pattern you are referring to, and I did say it would be more likely for Carreira & Ponomarenko to move up if they win Junior Worlds. (They have at least a couple teams I would consider serious competition, but it's possible if C&P skate strong).

That said, Tanith & Ben competed in both juniors and seniors for two seasons. Chock & Zuerlein and the Shibs had spots on the GP the season they moved up into seniors. Today's U.S. dance field is not the same as it was back then. We had seven U.S. dance teams with guaranteed berths on the GP this season, and one didn't get a second invite. As of right now, all those teams are ranked above Carreira & Ponomarenko. Let's pretend, for a moment, that the GP & U.S. fields don't open enough and C&P don't get onto the GP. (They could fight for a host spot during the summer, but let's pretend for the moment that they don't win a spot). Then why not do the JGP, JGPF, and Junior Worlds & earn their way onto the top 24 World Ranking list, guaranteeing themselves a spot for the following season? It's doable. They haven't done it yet, in part because last year was their first season to earn their way out of nationals and into Junior Worlds. And in part because this is the first year they have won any JGP events.

Plus, as Doris says, Anthony is very young for a guy moving up in ice dance. It's relevant.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Hi VIETgrlTerifa, just wanted to answer this post of yours without taking over the Russian Ice Dance thread any longer.

I understand the pattern you are referring to, and I did say it would be more likely for Carreira & Ponomarenko to move up if they win Junior Worlds. (They have at least a couple teams I would consider serious competition, but it's possible if C&P skate strong).

That said, Tanith & Ben competed in both juniors and seniors for two seasons. Chock & Zuerlein and the Shibs had spots on the GP the season they moved up into seniors. Today's U.S. dance field is not the same as it was back then. We had seven U.S. dance teams with guaranteed berths on the GP this season, and one didn't get a second invite. As of right now, all those teams are ranked above Carreira & Ponomarenko. Let's pretend, for a moment, that the GP & U.S. fields don't open enough and C&P don't get onto the GP. (They could fight for a host spot during the summer, but let's pretend for the moment that they don't win a spot). Then why not do the JGP, JGPF, and Junior Worlds & earn their way onto the top 24 World Ranking list, guaranteeing themselves a spot for the following season? It's doable. They haven't done it yet, in part because last year was their first season to earn their way out of nationals and into Junior Worlds. And in part because this is the first year they have won any JGP events.

Plus, as Doris says, Anthony is very young for a guy moving up in ice dance. It's relevant.

Thank you so much for your reply. This really does bring things into perspective. I wonder if any of the current top 3 will retire after Pyeongchang. If all three stay in, then U.S. ice dance will be so incredibly stacked I can't even fathom it.

Weathergal

Medalist

Great post - really helps put their situation in perspective.

Thank you so much for your reply. This really does bring things into perspective. I wonder if any of the current top 3 will retire after Pyeongchang. If all three stay in, then U.S. ice dance will be so incredibly stacked I can't even fathom it.

Agreed!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I don’t have much knowledge on ice dance, so I’m hoping someone will answer this question:
Is Madison Chock really as bad as everyone says? People go on and on about how awful her skating skills are; is it true? Could someone please PLEASE post a video of Madi/Evan with time stamps indicating how her SS are so bad? I’m genuinely curious.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Expected USFS funding for next season, per 2018-19 envelope criteria (assuming no retirements among the following):

Envelope A, Tier 1:
- Hubbell/Donohue, Worlds 2nd place
- Shibutanis, OWG 3rd place

Envelope A, Tier 2:
- Chock/Bates, Worlds 5th
- Hawayek/Baker, 2018 ISU Four Continents Champions

Envelope B, Tier 2
- Parsons/Parsons, Nats 5th
- McNamara/Carpenter, Nats 6th
- Pogrebinsky/Benoit, ISU World Standings 24th (but Benoit has retired)

Envelope C, Tier 1
- Aldridge/Eaton, Nats 8th
- Carreira/Ponomarenko, U.S. Junior Champions
[Disclaimer that I did not attempt to determine:
- Top 24 in season's best scores for the 2017-18 season for junior athletes and teams
- Top 24 in world standings for the 2017-18 season for junior athletes and teams]​

Envelope C, Tier 2
- Green/Green, Junior Worlds 6th
- Lewis/Bye, Junior Worlds 7th

Envelope D, Tier 1
- Gropman/Somerville, Nats (junior) 4th
- Nguyen/Kolesnik, Nats (junior) 5th
- Gunter/Wein, Nats (junior) 6th
(ETA: thanks to Ice Dance for catching my previous garbling, which is now corrected)​

Envelope D, Tier 2
- Wolfkostin/Zhao, Nats (novice) 1st
- Buckley/Chen, Nats (novice) 2nd
- Liu/Slevira, Nats (novice) 3rd (ETA: see post below from Ice Dance)​

Reference links for placements:

Corrections welcome.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Koszuta is likely aging out of Juniors this year/ What is his birthday?

He may have one more season. I remember reading that he was 19 in an article about Haines & Koszuta winning novice nationals last year but the article was written in late December.

larat

On the Ice
I am also wondering if Liu will skate with Chen in Junior next season. Just a guess, I do not know anything.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I am also wondering if Liu will skate with Chen in Junior next season. Just a guess, I do not know anything.

I'd be surprised. Buckley & Chen have very nice lines. More impressive live than on TV. But there's so much movement at this level, who knows?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to a Canadian poster, Carreira/Ponomarenko are moving up to Senior next season as reported by Ms. Carreira herself.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
According to a Canadian poster, Carreira/Ponomarenko are moving up to Senior next season as reported by Ms. Carreira herself.

Interesting! I could see both arguments for staying junior or going senior, but going senior will definitely push them to grow and I think they're more likely to be able to get to Beijing with more senior experience under their belts.