Current Innovators | Golden Skate

Current Innovators

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the cool things about an artistically rooted sport is the personal touch skaters bring. While many elements have been done before some skaters find ways to do them in ways we haven't yet seen. Who today among us is putting a new face on an old element?

I saw this today. Wait for the final spin.....it's like she kisses the Beillmann at the end.

https://instagram.com/p/BVWmsxyBWhg/

I think she is one of Polina Shelepen's students because she's appeared in several of her posts. Plus the use of #TeamShelepen :) Anyone know who she is?

Which skaters are today's innovators. Let's share their stories.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
One of the cool things about an artistically rooted sport is the personal touch skaters bring. While many elements have been done before some skaters find ways to do them in ways we haven't yet seen. Who today among us is putting a new face on an old element?

I saw this today. Wait for the final spin.....it's like she kisses the Beillmann at the end.

https://instagram.com/p/BVWmsxyBWhg/

I think she is one of Polina Shelepen's students because she's appeared in several of her posts. Plus the use of #TeamShelepen :) Anyone know who she is?

Which skaters are today's innovators. Let's share their stories.

Her name is Varvara Nikolaeva :)

andromache

Record Breaker
Based on his work with Savchenko/Massot and James/Cipres, John Kerr seems to be massively innovative in terms of choreography. His work is gorgeously complex and unconventional in theme for pairs skating. Sui/Han are massively lucky that Lori is pulling out all the stops in crafting them equally gorgeous and complex and unconventional programs. As much as I loved their 2015-2016 programs with Lori, they are completely outclassed by their 2017 programs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think alaine brought a couple spin positions to life in the last few years

first her touch the boot one that now shoma uses all the time ... not sure if alaine created it but it is for sure her version that i saw first and for a while before seeing anyone else doing it

of course, she also does the kennel-camel or canel spin ;) which i had never seen before... but again, did she create it?

back in the time, big innovators were bourne and kraatz with their hydroblading ...

i don't find dance to be that innovative these days...

for pairs, i don't really agree with you andromache, good programs yes, interesting programs yes... but are they playing with elements... not really.... aside maybe for the throw triple flip entrance for J/C

I think in pairs, the most interesting skaters, are I/M. Of course, they created all these gorgeous lifts with her flexibility, but two years in a row they brought some special transitions into their death spirals... i think they are trying to create new moves into their elements... D/M were very special that way....

men? nobody really... at least that I can think of... right now being innovative in the men's discipline is to bring new jumps ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know if I'd call him innovative as much as a throw back to the good old days of theatrical, athletic skating but....I like Mikhail Kolyada.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Marie France Dubreuil in ice dance is definitely someone I see as innovative.

Also deniss Vassiljevs' twizzles (which hanyu has copied in his kobe Chopin if i'm not wrong)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Speaking of twizzles, I know they've been doing them for a while, but I love Stepanova/Bukin's sit spin twizzles.

That forward I-spin is awesome! And more difficult than the typical backwards I-spin.

I also love Sui/Han's first part of their pairs spin - very unusual and difficult.

Lubov/Dylan did a lift where he was on one foot for a rotation which was super risky (guessing that's why they removed it).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
i think alaine brought a couple spin positions to life in the last few years

first her touch the boot one that now shoma uses all the time ... not sure if alaine created it but it is for sure her version that i saw first and for a while before seeing anyone else doing it

of course, she also does the kennel-camel or canel spin ;) which i had never seen before... but again, did she create it?

back in the time, big innovators were bourne and kraatz with their hydroblading ...

i don't find dance to be that innovative these days...

for pairs, i don't really agree with you andromache, good programs yes, interesting programs yes... but are they playing with elements... not really.... aside maybe for the throw triple flip entrance for J/C

I think in pairs, the most interesting skaters, are I/M. Of course, they created all these gorgeous lifts with her flexibility, but two years in a row they brought some special transitions into their death spirals... i think they are trying to create new moves into their elements... D/M were very special that way....

men? nobody really... at least that I can think of... right now being innovative in the men's discipline is to bring new jumps ;)

The most innovative in dance these days is definitely G/P because they are always different. H/D can fit in that box too, and with music innovation the Shibs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The most innovative in dance these days is definitely G/P because they are always different. H/D can fit in that box too, and with music innovation the Shibs.

yup... def G/P... i loved their baroque beatles last year....

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Also deniss Vassiljevs' twizzles (which hanyu has copied in his kobe Chopin if i'm not wrong)

I wish! but no, Hanyu just keeps his free leg low, while Deniss actually has leg movement during his twizzles, they're absolutely divine, went so well with the music. And of course as others said, I love his spins, and he's had them before Lambiel too so I'm glad he'll only be able to advance further there.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan step sequences - innovative because of how EASY he makes them look and how many variations he is able to fit in without pausing at all (and they are all gorgeous). :love:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Let's speak about tano, rippons and pantomime...

Which have all been around for years, so why would anyone speak about them in a thread about innovators? Not enough threads for you to complain about those things elsewhere?

Fresca

On the Ice

Not quite. Yuzu does his with much more open arms and a torso contraction then opens up with a torso release and arms into ballet 4th. Similar but completely different in effect.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marie France Dubreuil in ice dance is definitely someone I see as innovative.

I remember some commentators talking about how this year she had both V/M and P/C doing mirror choreo that they hadn't seen anyone do before. IIRC, they said it looks like something a choreographer would always want to do, but it's really hard to do well enough to get a good effect.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He also currently has one of the only if not the only slide spiral in the sport right now. (And best in the business since Robin Cousins ;))

Um, no he doesn't? Evgenia has a beautiful one (in an I-spiral position, no less!) and Joshua's elegant skid spiral was a feature of his famous Schindler's List ChSq.