Michael Weiss's Programs | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss's Programs

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
According to USFSA.org:

SP: Henry V
LP: Led Zeppelin (Stairway to Heaven, Bonzo's Montreux from the album Coda), Metallica (Unforgiven)

Again, Michael is recycling past SP for his LP. In 2003, he used his 2002 SP (Malaguena) and added Concierto de Aranjuez. Now, he's using Metallica from his 2003 SP for part of his new LP. With so many choices out there, I don't think he needs to reach back from the past for music. Of course, there are no rules that prohibit this. Also, he is using Bonzo's Montreux - which to me will forever be associated with Kurt Browning (his 93 SP). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It does not bother me at all if Weiss is doing some recycling. The main thing to me would be that whatever his music, etc. is, he will be able to give really great performances at the Nationals and Worlds.

Marjaana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA Marjanna

but since this is mike, no matter WHAT he does he will be at fault :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see him at Nationals! WOOT WOOT!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
What Mike needs is choreography to whatever music he is using.

Joe

Well, our Finnish commentators have not find faults in his choreography, quite the opposite. And I tend to agree with them. On the other hand of course I would also welcome him using some other choreographer now and then.

Marjaana

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this long program; I think that this is the type of music that suits him and if choreographed correctly, has the potential to be one of his most exciting programs. It's not music I would reccomend for everyone, but I think Michael can pull it off.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I'm glad he kept his SP, it was definitely one of my favorites from the past season. The two footwork sequences back to back in the end of the program were really fantastic.

I usually like Weiss' choreography, I can never understand what other posters dislike about it. Sometimes the music choices could be different (last year the LP was a little boring) but I think the same could be said for every skater.

Kudos for Weiss for being able to stay among the best for so many years, wishes of good luck for next season.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
I usually like Weiss' choreography, I can never understand what other posters dislike about it. Sometimes the music choices could be different (last year the LP was a little boring) but I think the same could be said for every skater.

I think the main issue with his choreography the last few seasons, at least it is with me, is that compared to what it USED to be (till about the 00-01 season), it's just not that interesting. If you set the standard at a certain point early on, people come to expect that standard.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Stairway to Heaven????? Why??? WHY?????????? If he uses the faster part towards the end, I could maybe see that. I'm not a big Kurt fan, but Ioved his Bonzo's Montreux SP. Mike has to overcome a high standard there. And I've always thought Metallica's "Fade to Black" would be an awesome song to skate to, certainly better than "Unforgiven."

Laura, resident metal fan, weighing in. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Most performers, at one time or the other, reuse something of theirs from the past. Shouldn't be a problem. And considering how many athletes stay active in their sport, (some at the last Summer Oly's were in their 4th and 5th Olympics), his ten years in skating is just a "drop in the bucket".........42

BittyBug

On the Ice
I have been waiting for someone to skate to Metallica, and I think Unforgiven is a great choice. I've also always thought that some pieces of Nothing Else Matters would be quite suitable for skating.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
But he used this before, and it didn't quite work. Now, maybe if he hadn't mixed "unforgiven" with "Hot for Teacher," which is a fine song......it's just a bit fluffy, which unforgiven is not. And "Unforgiven" doesn't mesh well, imo, with "Stairway to Heaven." Stairway is THE quintessential song of its genre. You can't just go mixing random music with it. Why not just use Stairway? There's enough variety in it to cut it down to 4:30 without any weird segues, like the aforementioned SP had.

"Nothing Else Matters" would be interesting. But SKATERS! Listen to "Fade to Black." It would be perfect!

Laura :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
"Henry V" was a good SP for Weiss. I will be interested to see what he does with Metallica. As for his choreography, I personally preferred his style from 99 and before (Sadly, though, I think that Wright choreographed for him then and he has passed away). It seems now that there are too many unnecessary movements...it almost is a little too busy for me, but that is my personal opinion. He is a good skater with solid lines and yes, even at this age, has much potential. I hope he has a solid 04-05 season so that he sets himself up for a very successful Olympic season.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
But he used this before, and it didn't quite work. Now, maybe if he hadn't mixed "unforgiven" with "Hot for Teacher," which is a fine song......it's just a bit fluffy, which unforgiven is not. And "Unforgiven" doesn't mesh well, imo, with "Stairway to Heaven." Stairway is THE quintessential song of its genre. You can't just go mixing random music with it. Why not just use Stairway? There's enough variety in it to cut it down to 4:30 without any weird segues, like the aforementioned SP had.

"Nothing Else Matters" would be interesting. But SKATERS! Listen to "Fade to Black." It would be perfect!

Laura :)
I agree the music cuts sound a little random but we'll have to wait and see if they fit... more or less... LOL

I disagree with you though that his former SP didn't work. I liked it and I remember that at Worlds 2003 he was well on his way to actually win the SP because up until the lutz, he was clean and having a great performance and then he totally splatted on the lutz which is supposed to be his best jump LOL

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:

Joe

And what Michael Weiss needs even more is to LAND HIS JUMPS and skate clean programs!!!!!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

Joe

I agree...do you think that the marriage will stand it though? "Uh, honey, we need to talk about my choreography - oh, okay, you can do it again..."