Bobrova and Soloviev article | Golden Skate

Bobrova and Soloviev article

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bobrova and Soloviev prep for “concluding season”

Six-time Russian ice dance champions Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev are at a point in their career where retirement is on the horizon. An Olympic season is special for all skaters, but it is even more special if it might be the last competitive season. In this case, the team from Moscow did not lose any time. They began preparation while the pre-Olympic season was still underway and got right back to work following the World Team Trophy in April.

More
The reigning European bronze medalists don’t want to think of the upcoming Olympic year as their last season.

“Let’s say concluding season,” Bobrova offered with a smile. “We don’t know yet if it will be our last season or not. Maybe we’ll just go on, maybe I will have a child and we return after a year, maybe I will retire and Dima continues with a new partner. Only God knows what will happen in the future.”

If she retires and Soloviev still wants to compete, who would be a good partner for him?

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Rooting for them to achieve their goals next season. That their music is 'well known' is not a big surprise for an Olympic season, but hopefully their probably last competitive free dance will be their best yet! You go Beavers :hap10:

Edit: and also, I'm 90% sure that Dmitry will not going to skate with another partner.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Wishing them the best of luck for the Olympic season, I'm a big fan. I am impressed that they are aiming for an Olympic medal. I would think the Top 2 are taken, not sure in what order but I think the Canadians first with the French second. There will be a real battle for the final medal, both Americans, B/S, the Italians and possibly W/P. One thing for sure is they will need to be hitting their levels next year to be competitive, lost levels cost them a worlds bronze I think.

Intrigued by the music discussion, I wonder what it is?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Rooting for them to achieve their goals next season. That their music is 'well known' is not a big surprise for an Olympic season, but hopefully their probably last competitive free dance will be their best yet! You go Beavers :hap10:

Edit: and also, I'm 90% sure that Dmitry will not going to skate with another partner.

I think it's a lot more possible for Bobrova to sit out a season, have a kid and then come back, than Dima find another partner.

Also, let's hope they find the right music, the best ideas, and fight for the podium, since I think they had a lot of bad luck back in Sochi.

LadyB

Record Breaker

I totally agree. I'll be very sad if it really was the last time, but I'd understand.
Then again, I could also imagine the suggestion made by coldblueeyes that Katia comes back after a baby break. Whatever they do, I wish them the best of luck and hope they'll have an Olympic season to remember! :cheer2:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Elena ? :biggrin:
Sorry, someone had to say it so I applied for the job :laugh2:
(This is a joke you guys okay)

gmyers

Record Breaker
If they don't medal or win their legacy is worst multiple Russian ice dance champions ever. Every other multiple champions won gold or silver at Olympics. Why didn't they ever move to Detroit or canada?

bramweld

Record Breaker
If they don't medal or win their legacy is worst multiple Russian ice dance champions ever. Every other mutilole champions won gold or silver at Olympics. Why didn't they ever move to Detroit or canada?

Well, let's wish them luck, H/D, W/P, Shib Sibs, C/L and C/B will provide strong competition for that third place.

I have one question though, why choose a warhorse when IMHO they've done their best work with more unusual pieces like Crazy and Chess? Either Zhulin had a peculiar dream or his focus has shifted, we'll see.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I guess we won't know what their music choices are until test skates then. But if the FD will be a story, good for them. I do hope they will compete in some Challenger like they mentioned, it's always good to have a chance to get feedback from international judges :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
if this would be an ending season for them, I hope for a strong and memorable one, Ekaterina and Dmitri are deserving it.

very much excited for them, what programs will be like. My selfish personal wish would be: no black for Katia, no Vivaldi and bring back 'Anna Karenina' FD (but this one is impossible I know:)). It will be for me the program that changed my perception on them for good and its performance at NHK is still one of my all-time favourites in Ice Dance.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Well, let's wish them luck, H/D, W/P, Shib Sibs, C/L and C/B will provide strong competition for that third place.

I have one question though, why choose a warhorse when IMHO they've done their best work with more unusual pieces like Crazy and Chess? Either Zhulin had a peculiar dream or his focus has shifted, we'll see.

I agree. BUT. Well known doesn't automatically mean a warhorse. So hopefully it's well known, but not often used type of music :)

gmyers

Record Breaker

But look at who is probably going to block Russia number one team from a medal! US number 2 and 3! Canada number 2! All because b/s wouldnt move to Detroit or Canada and have spiliband or zueva or dubreil as a coach!

madison

Record Breaker
I remember from a previous interview that Bobrova said she and Dima always wanted to skate on Moonlight Sonata. So maybe that's it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Nice to see you here Snow. You've been Much Missed.

I had to laugh about how they want a narrative program to set them apart. I guess from the other 2987497497234897239479237492374972394723987498237492374923749823749873248972378943 Russian Ice Dance teams with dramatic, narrative programs.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I remember from a previous interview that Bobrova said she and Dima always wanted to skate on Moonlight Sonata. So maybe that's it.

You may be right. Faiella and Scali had a beautiful musical arrangement using Moonlight Sonata in 2008. I hope B/S have a similarly successful composition. I'm just concerned that the final program could be quite similar to what they did last year?

Mattieu

Medalist
You may be right. Faiella and Scali had a beautiful musical arrangement using Moonlight Sonata in 2008. I hope B/S have a similarly successful composition. I'm just concerned that the final program could be quite similar to what they did last year?

Don't worry, I've heard they are not skating to Moonlight sonata