Abbott retires from competitive skating | Golden Skate

Abbott retires from competitive skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really wonder what went through his head in coming to this undoubtedly hard decison. I don't think we ever will find out the truth. We always get some media presentable
kind of answer. We will never hear -let's get real the world can out jump me, or I don't have what it takes, or the pressure kept getting to me. Did he heave a chance for the uS third spot yes but he also could be near the bottom as well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The article title is such a miscue. Abbott is not retiring from figure skating, thankfully, just from competitions, which he has basically done for two years.

He was not the most competitive skater but he was one of the best and left a void that's hard to fill. Few can match his beautiful skating. His message is heartfelt and appreciated. Glad for his continued skating and contributing to the sport he loves.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really wonder what went through his head in coming to this undoubtedly hard decison. I don't think we ever will find out the truth. We always get some media presentable
kind of answer. We will never hear -let's get real the world can out jump me, or I don't have what it takes, or the pressure kept getting to me. Did he heave a chance for the uS third spot yes but he also could be near the bottom as well.
Did you listen to the podcast where he announced it? Because he laid it all out there.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Jeremy was the rare athlete who had the jumps (for top men at that time) and the artistry. He has a lot to be proud of in his career and gave us some great performances at Nationals over the years.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's hoping he continues to choreograph. He has a gift for it.

he will !!!

for those who didn't listen to the interview... and want to know more... it's a good one!

he wants to keep skating and as a matter of fact, he is going to japan open. He is not done with the sport. Actually, he said he wants to bring back interest in pro-skating as that's what he did watch when he was a kid (me too) when there were all these pro competitions that allowed skater to use all their creativity and so on... it's hard to imagine these events could get back but if there is someone who could be a great advocate for them, it's definitely Jeremy.

I am sure he will be quite involved in the sport for many years to come.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The article title is such a miscue. Abbott is not retiring from figure skating, thankfully, just from competitions, which he has basically done for two years.

He was not the most competitive skater but he was one of the best and left a void that's hard to fill. Few can match his beautiful skating. His message is heartfelt and appreciated. Glad for his continued skating and contributing to the sport he loves.

He is a lovely skater but there are many others who skate as or more beautifully Chan, Hanyu, Rippon, Brown, Ten to name a few. He is the Josee Chouinard, the Alissa Czisny of his time. Potential unfulfilled but still a great skater. No world medal or Olympic individual medal but still so memorable.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did you listen to the podcast where he announced it? Because he laid it all out there.

I did - but that was the media presentable answer not his real answer. Very few are going to say I was afraid of losing, the jumps are ridiculous I can't compete, I am not sure at my age that i can compete with the young ones, I really doubt I can get a quad toe let alone a loop or flip. Very rare is it people really say what they mean. Skaters like politicans know what to say is to convey a certain image. Like the skater who says I just wanted to do my best; I wasn't worried where I placed or what others did, it is my self satisfaction; I don't care what my competitors did, or if it was a questonable ruling against them they won't usually sear on tv (usually). They knowhow to keep that perfect picture image. Just like when you get cut off or crash because someone wasn't payig attention in warm up - you aren't going to say I hope he or she pays dearly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I did - but that was the media presentable answer not his real answer. Very few are going to say I was afraid of losing, the jumps are ridiculous I can't compete, I am not sure at my age that i can compete with the young ones, I really doubt I can get a quad toe let alone a loop or flip. Very rare is it people really say what they mean. Skaters like politicans know what to say is to convey a certain image. Like the skater who says I just wanted to do my best; I wasn't worried where I placed or what others did, it is my self satisfaction; I don't care what my competitors did, or if it was a questonable ruling against them they won't usually sear on tv (usually). They knowhow to keep that perfect picture image. Just like when you get cut off or crash because someone wasn't payig attention in warm up - you aren't going to say I hope he or she pays dearly.

Well, first of all, you obviously didn't listen well enough or you are too busy hearing what you want to from his interview. He was perfectly honest and candid there, and as an elite skater myself, I know the way it works so you don't need to tell me the way you think it does. :rolleye:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Uh...he did say he wasn't competitive enough to compete for a podium anymore (and that competing just for the experience wasn't a good enough reason for him to stay in-that it was time to move on and start networking and creating professional relationships.) Jeremy is probably the least political speak guy out there. Whenever he tries to speak the company line, he fouls up. So lately, he's as honest as it gets.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad Jeremy will stay involved in the sport. He has a gift for innovative choreography. Thanks, Jeremy, for so many of your beautiful, memorable programs through the years!