Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 95 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I always worry about what kind of luck I am. But I have sat through his most recent world records (H&L and Chopin), so I guess I'm not too bad, right?

To be honest I don't really believe in this lucky charm stuff, so you couldn't be "bad" in that regard anyway ;) But I think if we want to go there, since you are missing a Seimei record then for your personal collection, maybe that's what will happen! One WR with every program then (except for LGC, but it's not back, so no chance there), and even one each? Sounds good to me :biggrin:

kiches

Final Flight
Why wouldn't he go to Nationals? And even if he's not 100%, the state of Japanese men, not counting Shoma, is what it is. It's really a non-issue.
I think the actual status of his injury and the healing time is unknown to the public.

Nationals is about 6 weeks away. If he needed 2-4 weeks he could make it to nationals but may not be in prime condition. If he needs 4-6 weeks he may not be in the state to compete at Nationals. The uncertainty is maddening, and I doubt his time will reveal any more than they already have. We may need to wait until they decide to do a third autobiography before we ever learn more about that fever as well that he had the 8th.

His statement mentions Nationals so I’ll try to take that at face value that they expect him to be recovered in time to participate by then. Here’s to hoping it truly isn’t serious, but I think that the doctors told him he shouldn’t compete at NHK indicates that it was at least more serious than they originally suspected when he went back to do RT.

kiches

Final Flight
To be honest I don't really believe in this lucky charm stuff, so you couldn't be "bad" in that regard anyway ;) But I think if we want to go there, since you are missing a Seimei record then for your personal collection, maybe that's what will happen! One WR with every program then (except for LGC, but it's not back, so no chance there), and even one each? Sounds good to me :biggrin:

Li’Kitsu I sure hope you’re right since Danibellerika and I were all at the same comps and will be in Pyeongchang as well and I am SORELY missing a live experience of WR and glorious performance of Seimei.

Although for LGC at least I got to see his first quad loop in the original white pants so I guess that counts for something.

nimi

Medalist
I think the actual status of his injury and the healing time is unknown to the public.

Nationals is about 6 weeks away. If he needed 2-4 weeks he could make it to nationals but may not be in prime condition. If he needs 4-6 weeks he may not be in the state to compete at Nationals.
For comparison: Aliona Savchenko suffered a pretty severe ankle sprain in competition around the same time last year (TdF 12th Nov 2016) because of a bad landing in throw 3A. Basically she tore a ligament in her right ankle, managed to complete the skate thanks to adrenaline & willpower but was limping right afterwards. She returned to competition at Euros in late January and did well despite the lost training time because she, like Yuzu, is a fierce competitor. (IIRC she had to stop skating for 6 weeks or so and could go back to carefully training throws 2 weeks before Euros.) So while I worry for Yuzu, I'm not despairing. It might be a less severe sprain so he might be able to resume training in a couple of weeks or so, and even if it's Aliona-level bad, he's got 'til February.

I mean, could you imagine what the reaction would be like if he indeed missed the Nats and the Fed would be, like, "Oh well, no Olys for our reigning Olympic champion, then!"
I just don't see that happening!

kiches

Final Flight
Oh I don’t see him not getting on the Olympic team even if he did have to miss Nationals, he has enough in world standing and the gold from Helsinki to be chosen even if he doesn’t compete there.

And thanks for the reminder on Aliona last season, it does offer some reassurance.

Since Javi is unlikely to get to the GPF, does this mean all of Team Cricket will be training in Toronto into December for once? I believe Gabi has Skate America which is close enough to Toronto. After France and Skate America would the next Place Brian need to travel to be for Japanese Nationals?

giulia95

Medalist
Yes, the actual status of his injury and the healing time is unknown to the public.
A part from the fall itself everything else related to Yuzuru is unknown. Yuzuru was not at the morning practice the day after, he was not at the press conference , no one on the earth heard him speaking directly about his injury and can even say it was Yuzu’s decision to WD.

This is the usual JSF pattern toward Yuzu , an irrevocable statement that comes out while Yuzu automatically desappears from the scene, there's only one exception that proves the rule, the one that could have ended Yuzu’s career (and life) forever.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, the actual status of his injury and the healing time is unknown to the public.
A part from the fall itself everything else related to Yuzuru is unknown. Yuzuru was not at the morning practice the day after, he was not at the press conference , no one on the earth heard him speaking directly about his injury and can even say it was Yuzu’s decision to WD.

This is the usual JSF pattern toward Yuzu , an irrevocable statement that comes out while Yuzu automatically desappears from the scene, there's only one exception that proves the rule, the one that could have ended Yuzu’s career (and life) forever.

:reye::unsure::palmf:

Ender

Match Penalty
Why wouldn't he go to Nationals? And even if he's not 100%, the state of Japanese men, not counting Shoma, is what it is. It's really a non-issue.
I mean “in case his recovery wouldn’t be fast enough for Nationals.” I think even if Hanyu missed Nationals, JSF would still send him to Olympics anyway. That’s my point. No one knows his true condition right now. I would think it’s not serious as his coach said. But we shouldn’t rule out that he might be ready since January only.

stormblade

Rinkside

Please do not dramatize. Fans are already anxious enough, no need to stir up fire when there's no smoke. According to news (https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/167366810544/article-yuzuru-hanyus-injury-withdrawal-from), Yuzuru was not at morning practice because of fever and he was not at the press conference because he was receiving treatment. His statement makes it pretty clear that based on the information the medical team provided him the morning of the SP, he was advised to withdraw. Yuzuru is not the type of person to let anyone make decisions on his behalf.

Rather than speculating, we should wish him well and hope for the best, not cast aspersions on unfounded conspiracies.

yude

Record Breaker
AFAIC, the only relevant thing is what his team puts out, and I don't think we're entitled to more. What they say, goes and I'm really tired of various speculations and arm-chair doctors based on invented information.

Anyhow, Yuzuru is very much in Osaka and Hidehito Ito from JSF says they are hearing he will be ready for Nationals.

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/winter/20171112-OHT1T50004.html

Glad to know that he watched Satoko's performance etc, on TV :)

firal

Record Breaker
Glad to know that he watched Satoko's performance etc, on TV :)

Probably yelling "Satton!" at the same time?? :laugh:

That article also says he hasn't been out of the hotel in Osaka and is eating a lot of protein like chicken, pork, egg and tofu. Lol, wondering who is reporting his meals to the press? :laugh2:

yude

Record Breaker
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201711120000175.html

Briand said on November 11, "I haven't had a talk about the new plan for the Olympics with Yuzuru yet. Today we only greeted. The first thing is to cure the injury. We want to discuss the new plan after that." He said he didn't know "healing time" and treatment contents, and that he wanted to think about everything after Yuzuru is recovered.

And I saw a news clip on twitter says "healing time" is 3 weeks, but I don't think it is official statement, at least for now.

yude

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/929573721806737410

Yuzuru's comment

"Thank you for your continuous support. I'm sorry to have worried you all this time. The doctor told me to have absolute rest for ten days. Although I'm expected to be fully recovered in 3 to 4 weeks after that, it is just a plan. I will make efforts to heal and rehabilitate to somehow make it in time for Japanese nationals. I will do my best to be able to perform well in Japanese nationals, and I would appreciate your consideration so that I can concentrate on rehabilitation and practice."