Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/tyugaeri/status/931417512746430465

This one says Orser thinks 4CC for Yuzuru might be difficult because the Olympics is close, and to the question "Will Hanyu continue doing 4Lz?", he answered "probably".

He knows his stubborn boy so well :laugh:

To be honest I expect/expected Brian to be more against the 4Lz now, while I'm sure Yuzu will want to keep it. If Brian isn't even putting up a fight there... :laugh:

Edit: full translation of what Yutaka Nagakubo said about Yuzu by gladi: x

"For you see, adversity is his favorite, and the strength to be able to enjoy it is in him.
He’ll come back."

Such beautiful words! :luv17:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
He knows his stubborn boy so well :laugh:

To be honest I expect/expected Brian to be more against the 4Lz now, while I'm sure Yuzu will want to keep it. If Brian isn't even putting up a fight there... :laugh:

Edit: full translation of what Yutaka Nagakubo said about Yuzu by gladi: x

"For you see, adversity is his favorite, and the strength to be able to enjoy it is in him.
He’ll come back."

Such beautiful words! :luv17:

Indeed, beautiful words and beautiful picture. Determination is in his blood, he will come back with stronger soul. :agree: Brian might somehow thinks that it’s a good time for rest and be focus, I am glad that he see the positive side of it and able to pass on the positive energy to his students.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
If Hanyu will be smart he will be doing SP with 4S/4T and long with 3/4 quads at olympics, and drop quad lutz

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If Hanyu will be smart he will be doing SP with 4S/4T and long with 3/4 quads at olympics, and drop quad lutz

Yuzuru Hanyu is capable of making his own decisions and he, and his team, are the only people who know all the information, and based on that, make their own choices that are indeed, smart.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I personally would have no issues with him doing that, but even if he did it doesn't guarantee he'd execute it to perfection. Challenges tends to bring out the fight in him more.

kiches

Final Flight
I want Yuzu to have the choice to skate the way he wants and to try and win the way he wants, and I think what he wants is the lutz in both programs. I'm not for villainizing the lutz in particular for the situation he's in now, there were clearly several factors at work here, so if he's in the condition to do it, I support him in keeping it in.

I know that a lot of people have been saying he made the right decision to pull out of NHK Trophy, but in all honesty, I don't think he had a choice there. From the news articles and his own statement it seemed like the doctors did not recommend or clear him to skate. The lack of choice available for him to try to push through it or not is what makes me the saddest, I think it's why he said he felt it couldn't be helped at NHK :sad46:.

It's been nearly 10 days so I hope he's well rested now, that he's over whatever was causing the fever, and the ankle feeling normal. I don't think we'll be hearing much about him until Nationals so we'll have to impatiently wait to see how he's doing.

Until then, here's a photo I took of the 2018 Guinness World Records book when I went shopping. They list Yuzu as being the first to land a quad loop. He doesn't have the nice large photo this time, but maybe when they update it next year with his Helsinki FS score and ACI SP score we'll get a cool picture of him in there again.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I want Yuzu to have the choice to skate the way he wants and to try and win the way he wants, and I think what he wants is the lutz in both programs. I'm not for villainizing the lutz in particular for the situation he's in now, there were clearly several factors at work here, so if he's in the condition to do it, I support him in keeping it in.

I know that a lot of people have been saying he made the right decision to pull out of NHK Trophy, but in all honesty, I don't think he had a choice there. From the news articles and his own statement it seemed like the doctors did not recommend or clear him to skate. The lack of choice available for him to try to push through it or not is what makes me the saddest, I think it's why he said he felt it couldn't be helped at NHK :sad46:.

It's been nearly 10 days so I hope he's well rested now, that he's over whatever was causing the fever, and the ankle feeling normal. I don't think we'll be hearing much about him until Nationals so we'll have to impatiently wait to see how he's doing.

Until then, here's a photo I took of the 2018 Guinness World Records book when I went shopping. They list Yuzu as being the first to land a quad loop. He doesn't have the nice large photo this time, but maybe when they update it next year with his Helsinki FS score and ACI SP score we'll get a cool picture of him in there again.

:thumbsup: It's going to be a long wait. :ghug:

HanDomi

Record Breaker

He always jumps quad lutz with lean. It's the way he does it, so there is always the same risk he is going to fall the same way as he did NHK. I don't think it's worth to break yourself before olympics

Ender

Match Penalty

Sorry for some correction: Doctors can not order you to do something. They can only give you advices and you’re the only one who is responsible for your decision.
I would say it’s more like, the doctor’s recommended Hanyu not to skate and jump quads in that condition, and Hanyu decided to take that advice into account and made the withdrawal decision.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Doctors can WD a skater from competition. If the doctors didn't clear him, then he couldn't go. It would be pretty horrific if the ISU had no rule like that, especially after 2014 ^^"

And look, someone is "pretty confident": x. I just love Brians smile at the end :love:

Edit: Dima Aliev wishes Zhenya a happy birthday! Looks OT here at first, but... :biggrin: I have that one too, btw! :laugh:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Doctors can WD a skater from competition. If the doctors didn't clear him, then he couldn't go. It would be pretty horrific if the ISU had no rule like that, especially after 2014 ^^"

And look, someone is "pretty confident": x. I just love Brians smile at the end :love:

Edit: Dima Aliev wishes Zhenya a happy birthday! Looks OT here at first, but... :biggrin: I have that one too, btw! :laugh:
Yuzu’s guest appearance 😂😂😂😂

I am so glad Brian looks optimistic ( fingers and toes crossed) And yes , after CoC 14 rule was modified doctors can make skater wd even if one doesn’t agree , if the condition can get worse or threatening.

kiches

Final Flight
He always jumps quad lutz with lean. It's the way he does it, so there is always the same risk he is going to fall the same way as he did NHK. I don't think it's worth to break yourself before olympics

I don’t think we have enough footage of him jumping quad lutz to assert that he will always do it with a lean or that he can’t (or hadn’t already) adjusted his technique for it. At Rostelecom it seemed like they limited the number of attempts during practice and not all were successful. I would attribute part of the lower success rate during Rostelecom practices to the fact that he had probably only started more intense training immediately after ACI due to the break he took because of the discomfort in his knee, which was about a month before Russia. I think given a little more time he could’ve continued making adjustments to the lutz, similar to how he made adjustments to the loop throughout last season until it became a stunning jump by 4CC.

This is all my opinion (and maybe this was just me seeing things because I was being paranoid), but last year when he first returned to competition after treating the lisfranc ligament injury I actually thought all of his jumps had a slight lean to them at the beginning of the season and in his media day clips. He was able to land them beautifully a lot of the time when I saw him at Autumn Classic in 2016, but they still appeared to be a greater angle for his axis than what I was used to seeing. By the time Skate Canada came a month later I think his form had adjusted better and the angle of his axis seemed back to normal, even if the loop failed him there. I would say by NHK last year his other jumps seemed back to their usual quality and his loop had improved. So my thought is that, like the loop, he would’ve made adjustments to his technique to reduce the lean on the lutz, sadly we won’t know how far he had come with the jump because he got sick and fell and injured himself. If he and his team really feel it’s too risky then they will pull the jump out, but if the quality and success of it had been improving I think they will leave it in unless it causes physical discomfort as he recovers from the sprain.

As for the withdrawal I’m just basing it off what his statement said, there have been various translations but my impression of his words were always the same, that the doctors decided he can’t compete and that is how he expressed it and why I, and Yuzu as well, probably felt he didn’t have a choice but to withdraw. I’d have to find the original Japanese statement but these were the translation that Japan Times and Kyoto News both provided. Both different, but same sentiment.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...u-hanyu-pulls-nhk-trophy-injury/#.WhHGo0qIaaM

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-injured-hanyu-to-pull-out-of-nhk-trophy.html

yude

Record Breaker
I saw Oda was talking about Yuzuru's injury on TV (I'm sorry that I don't have a video link, it was probably during NHK broadcast or in sports news program), he said that usually the skaters took several days to get back the sense of the jumps after resting for a while because of injury, but Yuzuru had the talent in doing the jumps by nature so he would need only a few days to do that. I hope he is right :)