Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

JuliettaG

On the Ice
Thank you for all the translations and info! :clap: So the article that mentions that he arrived on Toronto on september 24th, does that mean that he 's training normally?
I hope so, if he's training, even doing less 4lo, means that the sore knee is getting better :hopelessness:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

"When you see him on the ice, there's something special," Orser said. "There's something about his speed, his flow, his triple axels, even the quads. When you see him with other guys you can see the difference. It's hard to find the words, but there's something special about his freedom when he skates."

This is actually such a beautiful compliment from Brian!

"He's very competitive."

LOL Brian, you don't say

yude

Record Breaker
Only in Japan will they spend 25 minutes talking about Jump layouts of Yuzu, Shoma and Nathan, and everyone knows, more or less, what they are talking about on a nation-wide talk show. It's nice seeing Honda-san as well.
The two comedians on the far right, "Sandwich Man" are my brother's favorite Japanese comedians.

I enjoyed this show a lot and actually I've just rewatched it :laugh: It's really nice to have Honda-san as a guest, I agreed with many points he said, such as the importance of GOE and transition. And it was interesting that he said the boots (edges) would be broken if the skaters tried 5 rotations and he was not even joking, and everyone at the studio was :eekn:

I like "sandwich man", too! Their manzai is my favorite :thumbsup: They are from Sendai and they and Yuzuru know each other :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I enjoyed this show a lot and actually I've just rewatched it :laugh: It's really nice to have Honda-san as a guest, I agreed with many points he said, such as the importance of GOE and transition. And it was interesting that he said the boots (edges) would be broken if the skaters tried 5 rotations and he was not even joking, and everyone at the studio was :eekn:

I like "sandwich man", too! Their manzai is my favorite :thumbsup: They are from Sendai and they and Yuzuru know each other :)

Yes, it was a good show, since the panel are all entertainers, Except Honda, they were funny and had lots of comments, and you could tell, some of them actually watch figure skating.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Hanyu, Fernández carve different paths to Olympics
Tension mounting between training partners as Winter Games approach
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/09/26/256166594

Not so for the 22-year-old Hanyu, who thinks strictly of gold and keeps tabs on scores earned and quads landed by his younger competitors, including Nathan Chen, Shoma Uno and Boyang Jin.

"He follows everything everyone does," Orser said. "Last week they were competing in Italy (Lombardia Trophy) and Salt Lake City (U.S. International Figure Skating Classic), and he was paying attention."

The training partners are perfectly cordial, and Hanyu warmly congratulated Fernández on his victory in Montreal. But things are a bit tense around the Cricket Club.

"It's kind of an every-man-for-himself feeling right now with those two guys," Orser said. "I'm getting a feeling of a little bit of tension. They're competitors and it's normal."

Ender

Match Penalty
Orser is wise and smart, he knows Olympic pressure and attention that his students will have to face. I think it's a very wise strategy that Orser hold Hanyu back. If Hanyu were with any other coaches, they might have allowed him to do 4lz and 4Lo at SCAI. But a true experienced coach who knows Olympic pressure says no.

People might feel impressed by the number of quads and think they're great, but in the end it's the quality of skating and cleanest skating that speak loudest at the Olympic.

kiches

Final Flight

Henni147

Final Flight
Orser is wise and smart, he knows Olympic pressure and attention that his students will have to face. I think it's a very wise strategy that Orser hold Hanyu back. If Hanyu were with any other coaches, they might have allowed him to do 4lz and 4Lo at SCAI. But a true experienced coach who knows Olympic pressure says no.

People might feel impressed by the number of quads and think they're great, but in the end it's the quality of skating and cleanest skating that speak loudest at the Olympic.
Not only at Olympics. We have seen it countless times at Worlds, GPF etc.: a clean and top-quality skate gives you goosebumps - not a quad-packed programme - especially if you mess up two or three of them.

Javi doesn't have to worry about is "poor" quad-arsenal: with two different quads you can include 6 in your complete programme (two in the short, four in the free, if you repeat both of them).
If you have all 5 quads (4A excluded) in your repertoire, you can put 9 in total into your layout (still only two in the short, and seven in the free - but let's be honest - which stomach can endure 7 quads in 4:30 minutes?! That's hilarious...) I would say: 5 quads are far from easy but realistic to do (six are crazy and surely cost you every power for artistry).
THAT MEANS: Even, if you can do three more quad-types than Javi, you can only show one or two more in your programme because of formal and especially physical restrictions. True, a 4Lz has a higher base value than a 4S or 4T, but Javi can easily equal it with higher GOE and PCS (if he skates clean of course).

That's why I think, Yuzuru shouldn't worry too much about that quad-madness. He should rely on his qualities - which he has. :cool:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There was a documentary aired after Yuzu's competition at Autumn classic where he re-watches Seimei from GPF 2015. His face is so intense. He says he's re-watched this over 3-digit -times. That he was scared just before the performance, and his foot had already begun to bother him at that time. He was worried about the second quad toe which he landed a bit forward, on his toe, and because of that little flaw he thought it would be impossible to reach a new record score. The GPF performance was a performance of calculation, not getting in the zone and going with the flow -which, in a way NHK was. -Lots of other little bits of information as well. Hopefully it will be uploaded soon. I KNOW he can do better than GPF, and with his new jumps. Go Yuzu!

https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/165776941514/yuzuru-hanyu-comments-on-his-own-iconic Here's a full translation of this video. Thanks so much to the translators.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Slowly uploading the fancam videos I took at ACI.

Here's the videos from day 1, we got a treat seeing his new cool down method with the besti squats. Brian is certainly right, there's something else about Yuzu on the ice that just grabs your attention. Whether it's the jumps, or spins, or even the way he cools down, it really is captivating.

2017-09-21 - Yuzuru's Practice Part 1
2017-09-21 - Yuzuru's Practice Part 2
2017-09-21 - Yuzuru's Practice Part 3

Thanks so much. I love watching the warm up and cool-down routines.

yude

Record Breaker
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170924-00011031-nksports-spo

This is an article of Nikkan sports newspaper, when they interviewed Dick Button in New York, they received his handwritten message to Yuzuru, and they delivered it to Yuzuru through the staff. After SP at ACI, as soon as Yuzuru found the journalist from Nikkan sports, he said "Thank you for Dick Button's (message)". Nikkan put the message note into the transparent frame, and Yuzuru said it was displayed as it was in his room :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170924-00011031-nksports-spo

This is an article of Nikkan sports newspaper, when they interviewed Dick Button in New York, they received his handwritten message to Yuzuru, and they delivered it to Yuzuru through the staff. After SP at ACI, as soon as Yuzuru found the journalist from Nikkan sports, he said "Thank you for Dick Button's (message)". Nikkan put the message note into the transparent frame, and Yuzuru said it was displayed as it was in his room :)

:thumbsup: That's great!

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/165776941514/yuzuru-hanyu-comments-on-his-own-iconic Here's a full translation of this video. Thanks so much to the translators.

Thank you so much for the translation of the video by gladi , and thank you for sharing it.
I kind of half understand it when I first watch it, and get confused when he said the injury was not there by GPF, now I understand more with the translation.

The shikikami seal position is a new fact for me, it's easy to imagine how much heart and soul Yuzu and his team put into SEIMEI, when he come down to little details like this, that's why SEIMEI as a program is so complete, as if it has its own universe backing it up.
I am really glad that he bring back SEIMEI this season.

myself

Rinkside
A bit OT but I finally got around to watching the Onmyoji movies. (I know, I know. Bad fan! Bad, bad fan :( LOL). Anyway I really enjoyed them and now I've got a bit of an Nomura Mansai obsession going. Unfortunately I haven't found much to go on English-language-wise. Mostly just clips in Japanese with no subtitles. I am trying to learn Japanese (I just started a couple of weeks ago) but it's slow going. So other than the occasional word, I have no clue what's going on.

But I did find this clip about the movie "Floating Castle" where the actors are asked to say something in a "foreign language". Suprisingly, (at least going by the gasps in the audience) Mansai spoke in English (Yeah!!:yahoo:) saying that while '(His costar) is unique' [I think he was aiming for strange or odd?]. He continues, 'His character ... is very, very cool. I'm cool, but my character in the film is unique.'

Now every time I think of Yuzu skating that program, I picture Seimei lounging around drinking sake and I hear Mansai's low purr saying 'I'm very, very cooool." What have I done? Whelp.:bow: