2017 Japan Open | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Japan Open

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
A lot of Carmen programs over the years had that. I don't see how it's different from finger pistols in various Bond or other themed programs. Peng/Jin competing at Finlandia this week had at least two points in their Assassin's Tango short program where she "pointed a gun" at him.

I didn't say it was wrong :) I didn't mind it, in fact. All I'm saying is that if people are going to criticize Medvedeva's theatricals then it's only fair that others get criticized for it too. Like I said, personally I don't mind it!

pearly

Record Breaker
I didn't say it was wrong :) I didn't mind it, in fact. All I'm saying is that if people are going to criticize Medvedeva's theatricals then it's only fair that others get criticized for it too. Like I said, personally I don't mind it!

Gotcha.

Barb

Record Breaker
My favorite performance of the competition was Mai :luv17:. And I have to say that I really missed to Satoko :cry:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If you're Number 1 and dominating World Champion you will be held to a different standard. Those at the top will always be scrutinized much more harshly.

"Held to a different standard" = nitpicking to death. She is the #1 medal threat and some people can't stand it (and yes, many of the same people criticized both the 1st LP and the new one and will continue to criticize anything she chooses to skate to).

I'm glad she changed the program. The Leftovers just felt like more of the same thing she had been doing for 2 seasons, but more forgettable. Pleasant enough, but it didn't really make an impression. AK obviously needs some more mileage but I have no doubt it will turn into something great.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really like Evgenia´s program, it is the first time that it seems to me that she is doing something different. Who is the choreographer?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My favorite performance of the competition was Mai :luv17:. And I have to say that I really missed to Satoko :cry:

I love Mai's speed and edges and the flow she gets out of her jumps. Some performance aspects need more work, but it's better each time I see her program. She's on an upward trajectory. -And what pretty dresses all the girls had today.

nekun

On the Ice
Full house standing ovation for Mai😍😍
Those hands still need some works but overall it already better than ACI
That 3S rippon as last Jumping pass from lovely entry tho, love it so much💕💕

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Evgenia´s program, it is the first time that it seems to me that she is doing something different. Who is the choreographer?

Didn't they announce something about her working with Lambiel? Maybe it's his work?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Team Europe!

I know Team Japan came in 2nd which Team came in 3rd?

Congrats to all of the Teams!

NaVi

Medalist
Reposting from Medvedeva's fan thread.

As someone who hated the old program and wrote many posts why, I'm much happier with this Anna Karenina program.

I think the music cuts are great. It feels kind of like a show and unlike with the older LPs and it's kind of hard to notice the music changing before the step sequence. In the 2nd half when she's doing her jumps it doesn't seem like she's just doing jump-jump-jump like in some of of her older LPs(and even more so in previous LP for this season). And I didn't like how she began both her SP and LP standing still.

There are a few points though where she kind of has to skate through the music. The choreographic sequence seems rushed and it would be nice if she held her positions were held longer though it may only be possible to do it for one of them.

I'm neutral on the step sequence, but it is nice and surprising to see one that's more powerful than what we've seen before.

I would like to see some kind of choreographic flourish to go with the music highlight after her 3F-3T: https://youtu.be/gs09K_ns24s?t=1m5s

I would like to see the spiral finished like she did in last year's exhibition . The music would facilitate that.

I would go through her choreography to try to make it seem a bit more organic, to use the music more when possible, and to make it more projecting out into the audience.

I actually really loved it, which isn't surprising since I loved it in its EX form. But one thing I wish she would change is the hand movement after the lutz. Where she covers her eyes.

I think it's cute.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I'm glad she changed the program. The Leftovers just felt like more of the same thing she had been doing for 2 seasons, but more forgettable. Pleasant enough, but it didn't really make an impression. AK obviously needs some more mileage but I have no doubt it will turn into something great.

i would be glad if she will change her FS to AK. Still not confirmed, kinda early to make assumptions, but with some polishment AK can really be a good choice for olympic season. Especially, if it is gonna be at least close to this :love:

edit: oh, ok, now its officially confirmed by fed

I don't think she has. This is the EX from this summer so just adjusted.
Didn't she say after Nepela the Leftovers will be worked on? Come COR I expect it to be back.

This sounds most likely to me. Although I could totally imagine Medvedeva psyching out her competitors by simultaneously training two long programs and performing them at different intervals throughout the season, lol! (ETA: Oops, nevermind!)

Other thoughts:

Did Mai do a back inside spiral into a jump?? Wow.

And I'm so happy that Javi has this program for the Olympics. It has a majestic theme, romance, and a dash of silliness that makes his performance that much more lovable. I think it may be my favorite men's program so far.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched a few videos, I think Alina and Mai are oranges and apples to me. Mai has smoother SS than Alina. And she is very cute and lovely, but to me, she really does not have the charisma to pull off this piece yet, especially during the stsq, her performance is a bit disappointing, which has not reached the marching music's demands. thb. I dont wanna use this word, but still a bit childish(body language wise not look or ponytail). I enjoyed Alina's first half, I think she is on music note, the ballet theme is all the way through (not nitpicking postures etc.), so it is cohesive. the second half, she is more focused on jumps, musicality is not as good.
As for Med's performance, I think i am confused. but I like her red dress. better then the previous one.
Could not find Marin's video, which is a shame...
Mirai is remarkable, her jumps to my naked eye is clean. she really got this one. and her performance/choreo (also seems music editing) has improved, glad to see that as well.

Karen needs to fix lots of things... I like her snap, really great snap, but unfortunately, that cannot help her rotate enough in the air...

yude

Record Breaker
Did anyone remember what Nathan said about the jumps in one of the fluffs? Something ending with like "again, I like the jumps"? I could not understand all of it because he spoke very fast (to me), but I'm suspicious that Japanese subtitle was not exactly what he said...