Radionova readies to challenge again | Golden Skate

Radionova readies to challenge again

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Elena Radionova rose quickly to the top in ladies’ figure skating, winning back-to-back World Junior Championships in 2013 and 2014 and becoming the first lady to defend the World Junior title. In 2015, she took bronze in her debut at the World Figure Skating Championships in Shanghai, China.

More

Radionova announced a coach change a few days after World Team Trophy in late April. She stayed in the Central Army Sports Club (CSKA) where she has been training since childhood under Inna Goncharenko, but is now coached by Elena Buianova (Vodorezova) and her team.

“I think I had to make a change, because, unfortunately as much as I am grateful to Inna Germanovna (Goncharenko), we lost that connection that athlete and coach need to have and there wasn’t anymore the kind of work you need to get a result,” explained Radionova, speaking on the phone from Moscow. “We were together for a long time, but unfortunately we didn’t have that relationship anymore that is required to achieve a good result that would have satisfied both of us. Therefore, I decided to switch to Elena Germanovna (Buianova).”

I am looking forward to seeing how she fares this season. Here is hoping she will get her groove back!

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I was a fan from the moment she stepped onto senior scene. Hope this season goes well for her! :p

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Huge fan here. I really hope that she can pull out all the stops this year and throw shade on everyone suggesting her career is over at 18. She has amazing star quality and I hope she gains more titles that will reflect this. Come on Elena!!!!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
She was looking much better at WTT, so I hope this bodes well for her this season. It's going to be a hard battle, but Radionova has something special to offer in her performances.
Looking forward to her work with Shae Lynn.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am not a fan but there is no denying this girl is a fighter and great performer, all she needs is to work on her jumping technique to regain her consistency. Hopefully Buianova can help her to do just that

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So happy for the two choreo choices related to Shae-Lynn: 1) keeping her SP, which was an absolute favourite of mine :hap93: 2) going to Shae for her FS as well (her last couple of FSs didn't have anyhting special for me)
I'm not sure about her coaching change: Buianova wasn't really helpful to Sotskova in terms of actual level of skating (while she certainly was in terms of scores, see those overlooked URs at Nationals that got her on the podium :rolleye: ), but we'll see. I wish her all the best for this upcoming tough tough season :agree2:

I adore Elena, she's a breath of fresh air, cheers me up and such a special talent. Admittedly I didn't always feel this way (Adelina and Elizaveta have always been my favourites), but I love so much about her skating: attitude, perseverance, energy, commitment and IMHO she's the best spinner at her (along with Satoko) level.

Thank goodness for YouTube because in the UK (not really known for its skating prowess since T and D), they don't really broadcast figure skating.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Go Lenok. Would love to see her at the Olympic Games, bummer that she was too young at Sochi. *sigh*

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She just needs the right vehicles and she can definitely make the Olympic team. She certainly deserves it, having been one of the most consistent Russian ladies in the past quadrennial.

She's the only skater (AFAIK) to win a Grand Prix event in each of the past 3 seasons.

She's also a great fighter too, so I can imagine she will do everything she can to get one of the spots.

geige

On the Ice
Her jump landings were looking so much better at WTT. Here's hoping she can continue to keep it up! I wish more than anything that the Olympic team will be Evgenia, Anna, and Lena, but with Alina and Maria, that would be nearly impossible

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have always found her far more riveting, exciting and interesting to watch than most of the Russian ladies in that she seems genuinely care, passionate, and committed to her programs. She also seems always thankful in the reception she gets when she appears to give it all on ice every time. She just needs the right vehicle and maybe a stylist to erase any potential tackiness and polish it all all up a bit, although given her maturity with age, I think she probably improved a lot in that aspect. Working Shaelyn is a very good start to broaden her horizon, try something new, and actually extend herself artistically. That is how PCS should be earned and rewarded, not doing the same thing over and over and play safe.

Hope she has a great season. Cheering hard for her and Anna from the Russian team.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about her coaching change: Buianova wasn't really helpful to Sotskova in terms of actual level of skating (while she certainly was in terms of scores, see those overlooked URs at Nationals that got her on the podium :rolleye: ), but we'll see. I wish her all the best for this upcoming tough tough season :agree2:

Jumps i think she's even worse now, she didn't struggle that much with URs in the past.

Artistically she's improved: last year or even two years ago, you could see that she was almost embarassed by the music, her R&J program was far from impressive; also her posture is much better now but having said that i think she isn't still the skater she was at her first in juniors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4AI8i_kDA

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Jumps i think she's even worse now, she didn't struggle that much with URs in the past.

Artistically she's improved: last year or even two years ago, you could see that she was almost embarassed by the music, her R&J program was far from impressive; also her posture is much better now but having said that i think she isn't still the skater she was at her first in juniors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4AI8i_kDA
I preferred her R&J to last year's lifeless FS by far TBH, but it's also a matter of taste, I guess

The Russian ladies' scene is bursting with talent. I think Elena has as good a chance as anyone to make the team. Good luck to her.

heyleliana

Spectator
A good skater, an even greater performer. Elena just needs to get her consistency back and work on her jumps and she'll be all good.
Also, really happy that she is keeping her SP for this season, it was already stunning, imagine Lena coming back with this program in her full force. Omg.