Kazuki Tomono | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

KiraraChin

Medalist
This competition has not been broadcast in the past. However, there is usually some news/media coverage of this event. Clips of performances by select skaters may possibly be shown on a program such as FSTV! at a later date.

Edit: Speaking of FSTV!, the 07.14 episode aired more footage (from May) of Misha working with Kazuki on his new SP.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6opnsj

I've also posted this same clip (lower quality) to twitter in two parts with very loose explanations of some of what Kazuki is saying. (i did not upload the high quality dailymotion video)
https://twitter.com/tsuyoboogie/status/1018320496759267328 (1)
https://twitter.com/tsuyoboogie/status/1018325329738256394 (2)

This introduction video to Doshisha University contains a short segment featuring Kazuki. His (stiff and rehearsed :p) comments and footage of him practicing at the campus ice rink (assisted by Akio Sasaki) start at 1:26.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=fl7aoIu1NOg

Kazuki's Daft Punk EX from H&F 2018 in Nagano. :luv17: I really like the little changes he made when compared to his PIW performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtjgzxmUBk

Thank you so much for the info and links, and welcome back! :)

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Has there been any news on Kazuki’s challenger comp? I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Asian Open :pray: Since he trains in Japan, that should be within the realms of possibility... right?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Has there been any news on Kazuki’s challenger comp? I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Asian Open :pray: Since he trains in Japan, that should be within the realms of possibility... right?

Possibility, yes, but not very likely IMO. I think he's going to the Gensan summer cup in Shiga, and that competition starts on Aug 10, whereas Asian Open ends on Aug 5. 5 days is IMO too short a time for rest, practice, and getting from Thailand to Japan all in one. I think we'll see Kazuki in one of the prestigious European Challengers, such as Lombardia or Finlandia, or maybe in Canada. Those would be my bet.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Possibility, yes, but not very likely IMO. I think he's going to the Gensan summer cup in Shiga, and that competition starts on Aug 10, whereas Asian Open ends on Aug 5. 5 days is IMO too short a time for rest, practice, and getting from Thailand to Japan all in one. I think we'll see Kazuki in one of the prestigious European Challengers, such as Lombardia or Finlandia, or maybe in Canada. Those would be my bet.

Ah, thank you. I didn’t know about the Gensan summer cup. Considering the timing, Asia Open does seem unlikely as you said :eek:hwell:
I guess I wouldn’t be so lucky haha.

ETA: You’re right! He really is going to Lombardia.

surimi

Record Breaker
Ah, thank you. I didn’t know about the Gensan summer cup. Considering the timing, Asia Open does seem unlikely as you said :eek:hwell:
I guess I wouldn’t be so lucky haha.

ETA: You’re right! He really is going to Lombardia.

I'd trade you Lombardia for Asian Open if I could :biggrin: Now I'm going to spend many more agonizing months before I can maybe see Sota live, and that's still a big maybe.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Best of luck to Kazuki at the Lombardia Trophy!
Is it me, or the Japan Fed gave him tough competitions this upcoming season? GP assignments facing Shoma and Yuzuru, and now again facing Shoma at the challenger comp...

surimi

Record Breaker
I'm actually thinking it's a smart strategy. This way he won't be the top Japanese man in any of his competitions, and instead all the eyes and the biggest pressure will be on those who already know how to handle it. I think it's a good way to build Kazuki's mental toughness. He's done extremely well so far when all the eyes were on the top 4 Japanese men, and now that he's taken over Mura's role in the top 4, no longer the chaser but the one others like Mitsuki will be chasing, they're working to make him resilient in the long term. That's how I see it.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks, Surimi, it makes me more hopeful! He'll have senpais there to take the pressure ;)

Is this a regular thing with the Japan Fed? Did they do this with Yuzuru and Shoma back in the day, too?

khtmyzr

Final Flight
I'd trade you Lombardia for Asian Open if I could :biggrin: Now I'm going to spend many more agonizing months before I can maybe see Sota live, and that's still a big maybe.
Oh our luck :drama:

—————
Re assignments, I agree with Surimi that this seems to be a good way to ease him into the senior ranks.

Is this a regular thing with the Japan Fed? Did they do this with Yuzuru and Shoma back in the day, too?
I don’t think it happened to Yuzuru and Shoma. It may be because these two were already doing really well internationally in their last junior season by winning (almost) everything. Perhaps they were already used to the pressure and attention.
Keiji, on the other hand, (if I’m not mistaken) was sent to the same GP as either Yuzuru or Shoma for all except one of his GPs over the years.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Oh our luck :drama:

—————
Re assignments, I agree with Surimi that this seems to be a good way to ease him into the senior ranks.

I don’t think it happened to Yuzuru and Shoma. It may be because these two were already doing really well internationally in their last junior season by winning (almost) everything. Perhaps they were already used to the pressure and attention.
Keiji, on the other hand, (if I’m not mistaken) was sent to the same GP as either Yuzuru or Shoma for all except one of his GPs over the years.

Oh, OK. It just that Shoma and Yuzuru are really stiff competition ;)
Although I know that Kazuki is unlikely to win because he doesn't have many quads yet, at the same time I would like to see him getting his opportunity to shine without being overshadowed by a senpai...

surimi

Record Breaker

I believe I've read they partly do it because he's such a mother hen, and a great support for the younger (and not-that-much-younger) skaters :) Which makes me even more surprised, and slightly suspicious, to see him assigned to Nepela alone.

OK, back on topic-
Oh, OK. It just that Shoma and Yuzuru are really stiff competition ;)
Although I know that Kazuki is unlikely to win because he doesn't have many quads yet, at the same time I would like to see him getting his opportunity to shine without being overshadowed by a senpai...

Well, last year Voronov was originally unlikely to win NHK, and Kazuki winning a small medal at Worlds was out of the realm of Crazy Predictions Thread, so I'd say never say never. ;)

KiraraChin

Medalist
I believe I've read they partly do it because he's such a mother hen, and a great support for the younger (and not-that-much-younger) skaters :) Which makes me even more surprised, and slightly suspicious, to see him assigned to Nepela alone.

OK, back on topic-

Well, last year Voronov was originally unlikely to win NHK, and Kazuki winning a small medal at Worlds was out of the realm of Crazy Predictions Thread, so I'd say never say never. ;)

Yeah, let's hope Kazuki surpass expectations again! :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Soooo, Kazuki's FP is 'Riverdance'! :shocked:
What do you guys think? ;)

I’ll be watching this one with a bit of a side eye but I’ll still keep an open heart and mind ;)

Actually...I’m kind of looking forward to it :yes:

khtmyzr

Final Flight
I believe I've read they partly do it because he's such a mother hen, and a great support for the younger (and not-that-much-younger) skaters :)

Ah, I remember reading about that and I remember thinking these guys have a lovely dynamic with each other. :luv17:

Soooo, Kazuki's FP is 'Riverdance'! :shocked:
What do you guys think? ;)

I think this seems to be quite his style of music. I wonder if it's a Jason influence, I recall him saying he likes Jason before.

I’ll be watching this one with a bit of a side eye but I’ll still keep an open heart and mind ;)

Actually...I’m kind of looking forward to it :yes:

:laugh: Why the side eye? Please kindly explain, I'm pretty new to FS so I'm clueless :eek::

KiraraChin

Medalist
Oh, I didn't remember Kazuki is a Jason fan! :)

I think this music is certainly suitable for Kazuki, but I'm afraid of the comparison with Jason... Jason's rendition was very iconic!

surimi

Record Breaker
Music-wise, I pretty much agree with what's been written in the J Men's thread. It won't explore a new side of Kazuki as I think it'll be similar to Zigeunerweisen - merry vivacious music and hops and dancing and all. But that's what Kazuki is good at. Unlike, say, Keiji, he's talented at expressing this type of music (most importantly, he's fast and light enough), so why not make us of it. It will be a nice contrast to Cinema Paradiso, and the audience are going to love it. And if the audience are applauding thunderously, it might prod the judges to reconsider any low PCS they might be considering handing out... :biggrin:

But next season, when he's cemented his reputation as I hope he does, I'd absolutely love it if Kazuki did something cool and modern and unexpected for his SP, something like his gala from the summer shows. Now that would be a most memorable piece. ;)

MajaHled

Rinkside
I'm honestly excited for anything he has prepared. I never really expected much from him before Worlds, but seeing him live there has totally converted me into a fan :D

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: Why the side eye? Please kindly explain, I'm pretty new to FS so I'm clueless :eek::

Haha...it’s probably best to just ignore me :laugh:

I just think of Jason and Rika immediately but I’m willing to add Kazuki to that list.