New Programs for Shizuka and Julia Sebestyen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Programs for Shizuka and Julia Sebestyen

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
As it was already said in this thread, I believe, Sasha has skated to Nino Rota's R&J. Shizuka's R&J is Tchaikovsky's version, quite different. It is definitely not the same piece.

I didn't know Sasha had skated to Madame Butterfly before. When was this? Maybe an exhibition or a junior program?

ACK! I keep confusing the R/J's LOL. Sorry bout that. Back in 1999-2000, she used Mme. Butterfly as an exhibition piece.

I love Nino Rota's RJ more so than I love Tchaikovsky for some reason. There's not as much overt passion in Nino Rota's version, but it has more longing...and it's much more youthful, in my opinion.

Vash01 said:
Also Tiffany & Johnny Stiegler skated an LP to Tchaikovsky's R&J in the 1999-2000 season.

Hi Vash! I Know it's all in the interpretation, but that just grosses me out LOL

Germanice said:
When he skated this program in SLC I was wondering who the heck he did interpret: Escamillo? Don Jose?? Or even Carmen??? :eek: Sometimes I got the impression he was playing all three characters at once! :laugh: Quite weird.

And on her hair as well - such simple things like that could do miracles sometimes!!!

Anke

Sebestyen's whole packaging reminds me of Slutskaya for some reason

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
Hi Vash! I Know it's all in the interpretation, but that just grosses me out LOL
Actually, that was my reasoning for leaving it off the list :)

I don't remember Sebestyen ever wearing a shredded skirt, which seems to be Slutskaya's signature. Sebestyen's haircut is very similar to her mother's and many other women in the audience in Budapest. Sebestyen has such long, slender, straight legs that I'd never confuse her with Slutskaya. Alisa Drei, on the other hand...

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Sebestyen and Slutskaya? Only if we're talking about the correctness of the technique. And even so, from accounts from people who have seen them both live, Slutskaya has good speed and Sebestyen is a little slow (this was comparing each with the rest of the field, with each other there must be a bigger diference). And I think Slutskaya always looked a little more relaxed and into the music than Sebestyen.

I'll have to watch that exhibition from Sasha Cohen to Mdme. Butterfly. Was it any good?

I'd like to see the music from Carmen, R&J (any version), and Madama Butterfly skated by anyone without reference to the stories. Just give me some original passion from your own life. :p

Of course, there is one skater who can do that and knowing me, you don't have to guess who I am talking about. :eek:

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
There are 3 R&J's that I know of and all of them (Prokofiev; Tschaikowsky, and Movie Soundtrack) have become tiresome to listen to yet again. Maybe there is an obscure R&J that someone could come up with? :sheesh:
Well, there's always the Delius that Tudor used for his version.

gkelly

Record Breaker

Definitely in 1995 when they were both young teens skating to folk music (both Hungarian folk IIRC) in ponytails and similar folk costumes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You need to start reading entire threads

Forgive me :eek: I must have missed it. I did skim through the thread BTW

never heard of "Bijan Mortazavi" before.