2017-18 Retirements | Golden Skate

2017-18 Retirements

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since cathlen already started the Splits & Partner Changes thread and the Coaching Changes thread way back at the start of May, it is probably time that an official Retirements thread for this season was started (as opposed to the thread that figurefan0726 started for speculating about who will retire after the Olympics).

Don't speak Italian (and the automatic translation isn't great), but I think this story is Dario Betti announcing his retirement:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=876762369145998&id=283775598444681

All the best to him with his future plans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow, took a while to find this thread again. :drama:

Joshi Helgesson announced her retirement yesterday.

Here is the story on Swedish Radio's website:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=6815852

(Translation)

And here is where I saw it, on the International Figure Skating magazine's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/IFSmagazin...526601.278550292537/10156718928142538/?type=3

It's the end of an era. No Helgesson girls competing any more. :cry:

I wish Joshi all the best for her future. (And Viktoria too!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Oh. So sorry to hear this. I didn't realise that she had been skating through an injury for so long.

I wish her all the best with her cooking, and for the future in general.

So, that's a real changing of the guard going on in Swedish Ladies skating.

Since I am writing here anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to add in for future reference the retirements that were not announced in here, because they had dedicated threads.

Yulia Lipnitskaya (RUS) announced her retirement at the end of August (thread)

Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov (RUS) announced their retirement towards the end of September (thread)

Also, Joshi Helgesson's retirement announcement from November did actually have a dedicated thread, but I didn't spot it until after I had posted in here. :eek:: :slink:

Another skater that announced their retirement about a week after Joshi, but was not reported about on here at the time, was Franz Streubel (DEU)

https://www.eislauf-union.de/media1...on-teilnehmen-und-beendet-die-aktive-laufbahn
http://www.rp-online.de/sport/wintersport/andere/streubel-beendet-seine-karriere-aid-1.7207103

Like this latest announcement, this was a retirement due to injury.

So, all the best to him too.

CaroLiza_fan

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
According to the news on my twitter feed Elladj Balde (ISU Figure Skating is the source) has officially retired from competitive skating.

I wish him the very best of luck in his future endevours.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
According to the news on my twitter feed Elladj Balde (ISU Figure Skating is the source) has officially retired from competitive skating.

I wish him the very best of luck in his future endevours.

I knew it was coming, of course, but still... this makes me sad.

Good luck to Elladj - I know he is a popular show skater, and I recall him saying (in an interview) that he wanted to have shows of his own one day. Here's hoping for his success.:)

livetoskate

On the Ice
I knew it was coming, of course, but still... this makes me sad.

Good luck to Elladj - I know he is a popular show skater, and I recall him saying (in an interview) that he wanted to have shows of his own one day. Here's hoping for his success.:)

Elladj ended his competitive career in the best way possible (though I suppose a medal would have been even better). He looked like he was really giving it his all and enjoying it through the very end of Four Continents. It was nice to see him hug Takahito Mura at the end of their warm up and Takahito clapping for him after Elladj's free skate. Here's to a very successful, long career as a show skater!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Elladj ended his competitive career in the best way possible (though I suppose a medal would have been even better). He looked like he was really giving it his all and enjoying it through the very end of Four Continents. It was nice to see him hug Takahito Mura at the end of their warm up and Takahito clapping for him after Elladj's free skate. Here's to a very successful, long career as a show skater!
Elladj and Keegan Messing also had a wonderful interaction at the end of Elladj's FS at Canadian Nationals. And then Elladj did a back flip so when Keegan finished his FS he did a back flip also. Both seem like really stand out guys. I'm glad Keegan is going to the Olympics. It's his lifelong dream apparently.

sarama

Medalist
I will pretend this thread doesn't exist for the next 8 months. Then I'll have the GP to distract me. Post Sochi retirements were tough but I fear this season will be worse. The dance and men fields will change drastically and I'm not ready :sad46:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

lyndichee

Medalist
What's to feel sorry about: she's a young rich blonde girl who's married to a gorgeous young man.

What a toxic outlook. She's an athlete who has spent a lot of time and effort to make her Olympic dreams come true. She earned her spot. It unfortunate that her and her partner were not able to go. Some "figure skating" fans :noshake: