2017-18 Retirements | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-18 Retirements

Eclair

Medalist
I doubt the reason she's retiring is because of some hater fans. The majority of Chinese fans are very supportive of her. I presume its probably a lack of motivation to skate anymore what with the judges continually underscoring her, suddenly having to compete against a serious national rival who could take her international spot and her health problems. Also that injury she had at the start of the season probably killed of any motivation she had.
I'm glad to hear that most Chinese fans support and like her. Social media posts can easily make a wrong impression - since the insults often have the most upvotes and likes. I'm really sad that Zijun retires so young ... She'll be missed in the skating world :sad4:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, none of Zijun's rivals are anywhere near as good as she was at her best. They underrotate even worse than she does, and none have her grace and beauty.

megenta

Rinkside
What a toxic outlook. She's an athlete who has spent a lot of time and effort to make her Olympic dreams come true. She earned her spot. It unfortunate that her and her partner were not able to go. Some "figure skating" fans :noshake:

Well if the Olympics were the only good thing in her life, then it was sadder.

edit for some reason

charlotte14

Medalist
Yeah, I hope not. Maybe she's waiting for another partner to come... Anyway, her chances with the current partner were slight at very best.
Ice dance and pair... so under-appreciated and so hard to success because it's not just yourself on the ice alone. Even if you blame yourself there, even when you try your best, your chance still depends on your partner. :sad4:

lyndichee

Medalist
Well if the Olympics were the only good thing in her life, then it was sadder.

edit for some reason

Maybe you should reserve this judgment to yourself. If you want to act this way and judge people's lives, I think it speaks volumes about your character rather than the skater. This board about fans of figure skating and these retirements, regardless of whether they are attractive, rich, married etc. is a loss to the figure skating scene.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isabella Tobias skated with Deividas STAGNIUNAS from 2011-2014, but because of Lithuania's strict citizenship rules, they could not skate at the 2014 Olympics. Deividas had struggled with injury their entire partnership and he finally retired after 2014 Worlds. Tobias paired with Ilia TKACHENKO in the 2014-2015 season, and they had a very successful partnership, finishing 4th at Euros 2017 and 12th at Worlds 2016 and 2017. They had hoped Ilya could get Israeli citizenship so they could go to the 2018 Olympics, but unfortunately he was turned down and he retired. Subsequently she retired as well. I am sure she had no regrets about this final partnership as it brought the most success she had ever had as a ice dancer, whether or not she ever got to the Olympics.

It is likely that if even if he had received citizenship and they had gone to the Olympics, they would have retired anyway after Worlds this year, as he is 33 and she is 28.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Isabella Tobias skated with Deividas STAGNIUNAS from 2011-2014, but because of Lithuania's strict citizenship rules, they could not skate at the 2014 Olympics. Deividas had struggled with injury their entire partnership and he finally retired after 2014 Worlds. Tobias paired with Ilia TKACHENKO in the 2014-2015 season, and they had a very successful partnership, finishing 4th at Euros 2017 and 12th at Worlds 2016 and 2017. They had hoped Ilya could get Israeli citizenship so they could go to the 2018 Olympics, but unfortunately he was turned down and he retired. Subsequently she retired as well. I am sure she had no regrets about this final partnership as it brought the most success she had ever had as a ice dancer, whether or not she ever got to the Olympics.

It is likely that if even if he had received citizenship and they had gone to the Olympics, they would have retired anyway after Worlds this year, as he is 33 and she is 28.

They went to the 2014 Olympics, her and Stagniunas, and finished 17th.

Knebli

Rinkside
Whatever happened to Richard Dornbush. UNder-rated skater..... didn't have good timing. And has Veronik Mallet packed it in? Sad if so...... those injuries....... Do we think Alaine Chartrand will be back? OMG.... just to recover from a horrible Nationals......... tough! hope she recovers.

Eclair

Medalist
Whatever happened to Richard Dornbush. UNder-rated skater..... didn't have good timing. And has Veronik Mallet packed it in? Sad if so...... those injuries....... Do we think Alaine Chartrand will be back? OMG.... just to recover from a horrible Nationals......... tough! hope she recovers.

Alleine had a decent skate at 4cc after nationals. She seemed trained and OK.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Staying with Canada, Katie Desveaux's Mom has posted a long comment on Facebook in which she says that "Today" (presumably yesterday) Katie...

"...skated in her last OUA competition and I expect this is the last time I will see her skate competitively."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/joanne.lintondesveaux/posts/10156476984070832

She then goes on to talk about the journey they have gone on together, and how proud she is of her.

The comment is accompanied by 12 photos, the first of which shows Katie wearing the FIVE medals that she won today!

Congratulations Katie!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Please be aware that the comment is not generally available. I can only see it because I am connected to one of the people that is thanked at the end.

I wish Katie all the best with whatever the future holds.

CaroLiza_fan

Andrea82

Medalist
Celia Robledo and Luis Fenero

Hola everyone!
We wanted to communicate that after all these years, we have decided to end our skating career. We are very thankful for all the experiences we could live, the good ones and the less good ones, they made us grow. We had met incredible people and we had the chance to train with the best team in the world. We want to thank our families, friends, our fans, all our coaches for the patience, effort and for always making us laugh during practice, the RFEDH, FMDI, FADI and BECAS PODIUM for all the support given to us.

An end is always a new beginning, and we are looking forwards for new adventures in life!

C&L

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHVG-fHRz_/?taken-by=celia_robledo

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Dornbush hasn´t retired, but seen more focus on his college life now...