2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill) | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Calling Lubov for doubling jumps is like shooting fish in a barrel. If they could just get those jumps consistent I wouldn't worry about them going to the Olympics. Of course if Julianne and Charlie can't get healthy and stay healthy they will probably go regardless but if it's a three way battle for those 2 spots they might be in tough if Mt/M get those lifts and the twist under control because Kristen is a more consistent sbs jumper than Lubov. My ideal Olympic team is D/R, I/M and S/B so I have bias.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So I would watch Junior dance but ... no stream for me. *sigh*

I'm having trouble getting started on the skating this year because my other great non-real life obsession is still going on: GOT! 2 more episodes and I resisted the leak so tonight I'm going in spoiler free (mostly-fandom can suck for casually revealing stuff)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Gosh.. I already hate the La La Land soundtrack and the season has just started.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
McIssac and Graham have won me over with their music choices.

Happy with their scores. They are in second

Galivanova and Tang won. They had some nice twizzles IIRC.

BTW, this music (the music used to intro each segment reminds of Rick Steeves travel program on PBS music.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Really..should you do the Mary Poppin's soundtrack without dressing up like penguins or at least doing the penguin dance part?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
No I/M. Guess they were just giving their SP a dry run.
Have to bail anyway. Have fun all.

TGee

Record Breaker
No I/M. Guess they were just giving their SP a dry run.
Have to bail anyway. Have fun all.

It doesn't sound as though it was a planned thing....they were entered, and in the start order for the free that went up overnight after the SP.

But, they may have decided to leave it at that if the free has less time to gel.

TGee

Record Breaker
For those who missed the Junior Pair Free this afternoon, Walsh/Michaud pulled it back together with a lovely, clean rendition of their "I can't help falling in love with you" long program.

It's so great to see how polished Walsh/Michaud look with that program....It absolutely says that they expect to be on the podiums and at the JPG Final this season.

McCaw/Adcock had another solid outing....and demonstrated they have the SBS 2As...

The Boys-Eddy sibs showed that they are working hard to address their tech gaps. They got << on the SBS 2As, but attempted them...and got neutral GOE on a 3STh.

Final ranking and video links:

1 Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud 149.48 : SP ; FS
2 Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock 135.40 : SP ; FS
3 Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy 133.14 : SP : FS

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
More of my screen recordings from the Junior Men's event:

Iliya Kovler's SP (the password is iliya): https://vimeo.com/230304620

Shingo Nishiyama's SP (the password is shingo): https://vimeo.com/230330700

Corey Circelli's LP (the password is corey): https://vimeo.com/230330674

Conrad Orzel's LP (the password is conrad): https://vimeo.com/230304605

Iliya Kovler's LP (the password is iliya): https://vimeo.com/230304652

Mark Gorodnitsky had the 3rd best free skate, but the livestream was offline for me during almost all of his performance, so I couldn't make a video.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Senior Women Standings

1. Elizabet Tursynbaeva 165.03
2. Amanda Tobin 152.95
3. Emy Decelles 151.97
4. Michelle Long 141.54
5. Deidre Russell 120.85
6. Stephanie Rechsteiner 120.69
7. Kathryn Winstanley 105.89
8. Maya Lappin 102.89
9. Kylie Tait 97.58
10. Cassandra Bilsborough 93.55

Lots of positives. ET won! The third tier Canadians did well of course that could be spun the other way ET won as expected but the Canadians did very well comparatively and according to expectations. everyone learned and got some experience.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree with you on Roman and Lauriault/Le Gac lmaooo

Also I was at the arena tonight, enjoyed some great skating. Roman's LP is hardly a metal FS, it's an Anime soundtrack or something and I don't even know what's really happening in it or what he's trying to perform to the audience or judges. I feel like his growth affected him and I found him gangly and the choreography to be random, he needs better packaging in the LP. Nam's growth spurt was a while ago and he seems to skate more comfortably now, good skate for him, speed improved from the first time I saw him in person in 2014, posture needs work.

Keegan Messing and Stephen Gogolev impressed me the most, Keegan is a fast rotater and his jumps don't really travel, but his spins steps and choreography all seem very complete so if he wants to go for harder jumps I don't mind. Stephen, if he competes seniors at Nationals, he wouldn't be out of place except for his height and face, wow, he is such a talent, I hope he stays healthy. Took a rough tumble in the warm up but skated respectably in the free with a few bobbles here and there.

Elizabet's jumps weren't quite there but I did like her skating a lot, she's very small but fills up the rink really nicely. Lovely skater but a bit of a rough skate, can't wait to see her improve during the season.
I was impressed with Stephen but wonder if he will have the problems Nam has had when he grew. Also,of course he needs a lot more strength in his jumps - stronger landings and further distance rather than a spinning top. I would suggest that to help with presentation and namely presence here is a little trick. As he is so fair skinned and blond hair changing that vest to say a royal blue would help make him look more "solid" and present on the ice and not so "faded". This visually adds impact. As he matures and learns to control his hand gestures I think he is looking good.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What a nice outing for this Singing in the Rain SP from Keegan Messing...

It's already taken a step up in polish since Wild Rose....

You must mean Skate Detroit. ;)

I was very surprised he was put on the podium above Conrad Orser

I know it's just a typo, but I thought you might want to edit your post and correct Conrad's surname. ;)

On a positive note, Corey's a very nice skater to watch.

Yes, he is! :luv17: I began to like his skating after his lovely SP at Minto. I was happy to see him win the free skate here :clap: after a poor short (oh, that was painful to watch :( ), and he jumped up from 9th to 3rd over-all.

Did get to see Matt...

But he's clearly disappointed with that FS...many doubles instead of triples, and he ran out of time for the final spin.

Still a beautiful, flexible and expressive male skater though....he's really pushing to bring up his tech following an enormous growth spurt last season, so one hopes we'll see more from him later in the season.

Thanks for sharing your observations on Matthew's performance. :) When I met him at the Championnats québécois d'été, I was immediately struck by how tall he was; I think he's around 5'11", and I figured that his height was contributing to his jump problems. In response to my gushing over his presentation skills, he told me that the artistic side of the sport was very important to him. I find it interesting and unexpected that his LP PCS is higher than Conrad's both here and at Minto in spite of the fact that the base value of Matt's jumps is much lower (he doesn't even have a 3A in his arsenal, let alone a quad).

Roman's edgy metal FS gets him out of the lyrical rut he seemed to be getting into. :luv17:

I greatly appreciate that he's skating to music that no one else in the sport has used before (as far as I know---if someone else had done the Sword Art Online soundtrack, feel free to correct me), and although I'm not familiar with the anime genre, I enjoyed the pieces that he chose for his LP. I also like how this routine and his costume gives him a stronger, more masculine look, and he's exploring a style which is different than what we're normally used to. Roman earned the highest LP PCS score both here (okay, admittedly it was only .14 more than Nam's, but it's still the highest) and at Minto, so the judges actually prefer Sword Art Online over his "The Vampire Masquerade" SP (which is more universally loved by the fans than his LP).

So Nam did 2 quads? Honestly the out of focus image didn't help me. He rotates so quickly.

He only did 1 quad, a 4S.

I prefer Roman, but although he had a good program he srlill lost a few good ponts with a couple of pops, and a couple of skid landings. Still amazing music and interpretation.

I totally agree. :agree: Hopefully he'll work on his endurance and skate it more cleanly as the season progresses.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada