2017 BC/YK Section Summerskate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 BC/YK Section Summerskate

Sackie

Medalist
Just watched Kaetlyn's Free and glad to see her dong so well so early in the season but must say I am a little disappointed. The Lay out of elements is almost the same as last year's Free and in fact the jumps are even done in the same locations. Was kind of hoping she might mix things up a bit.

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Just watched Kaetlyn's Free and glad to see her dong so well so early in the season but must say I am a little disappointed. The Lay out of elements is almost the same as last year's Free and in fact the jumps are even done in the same locations. Was kind of hoping she might mix things up a bit.

Why changing a winning recipe? It is not like there are points awarded for different layout from one season to another. I guess it was a planned strategy. Go for consistency, Kaetlyn!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While I agree with what you are saying, it's important to remember that in the ladies events for the Olympics, Kaetlyn starts with a lower BV than those who are backloading. The only way she can remain in contention is by offering extreme quality and consistency. That's what allows her to get the scores she needs. So I am pretty sure that the decision was made in that sense for the LP. In the SP, she backloads the lutz which is new for her and so far, she has doubled it twice in two outings. She has a bit of work to do in that department first. Also, she needs to add one combo into the LP... we may get a surprise (i doubt it though) but it just means the program is quite not finished or secure enough for her to feel like she can do that combo at the end of the program. Regarding jump layouts, most skaters keep them.... Patrick is almost keeping his jump content/order from last year's worlds as well... many skaters do that.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I also think Kaetlyn LP should be retouched, add a little ballet moves, not too much, still she must portray one of the swans, white or black. She must show it's about a swan and not Mimi from La Boheme. The two programs look so similar you may play either music and it should fit the skating. While I loved her La boheme, this one is too generic and does not reflect the theme from Swan Lake. Tchaikovsky must frown about this. The music is gorgeous. Treat it as it should be. Who is Kaetlyn's choreographer? He/she must be disqualified.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I also think Kaetlyn LP should be retouched, add a little ballet moves, not too much, still she must portray one of the swans, white or black. She must show it's about a swan and not Mimi from La Boheme. The two programs look so similar you may play either music and it should fit the skating. While I loved her La boheme, this one is too generic and does not reflect the theme from Swan Lake. Tchaikovsky must frown about this. The music is gorgeous. Treat it as it should be. Who is Kaetlyn's choreographer? He/she must be disqualified.

it's jeff buttle and i disagree with your statement.

i actually want it to be less balletic. yes... the piece is from a ballet, a very well known one... but she doesn't have to portray either swan... it's not necessary. The music speaks for itself and is powerful enough. No need to add on to it. It's fine when skaters wish to do so, but shouldn't be mandatory.

nimi

Medalist
Just watched sr men SP. I have a big soft spot for Kevin so I need to take a moment to cheerlead for him here! :hap10:
I'm so excited he's picked music that's challenging (both for the skater and for a lot of the audience) and somewhat oddball. Suits him IMO. Can't wait to see how this program develops when he becomes more comfortable with it! Also, in this case the program construction with backloaded jumps is actually justified by the musical structure, so yay for Kevin! (I'm 99% sure all 3 jumping passes were indeed after the halfway mark.)

Also: I've never heard of Antony Cheng but I found him really entertaining. Yeah, he might not have the TES ammo but the boy is a performer and is feeling his music. You go, kid!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I had no idea Jeff Buttle choreographed Kaetlyn' s programs. Considering the similarities I assume, he also worked on La Boheme. I agree this is a problem I have with programs choreographed by the same person. Sometimes, the similarities can work against the beauty of the program. I even have a problem with Jason's choreography which is sort of predictable, and In my dreams I want him to do a program without Rohene. I am not against him at all, just I want a completely different type of program. I loved his Irish Dance and Tristan and Isolde, but afterwords, though everything he did was so beautiful, it was kind of repeating similar patterns. There is nothing wrong, it's just my problem.
With Kaetlyn, the two programs, La Boheme and Swan lake are too similar.
I love ballet, but this is figure skating, and bringing ballet on ice is not easy. For example, I loved Alina Z...Don Quichot. It was a skater in Vancover summer skate that used Saint Saens' Swan. No comparison, but I remembered Maya Plisetskaya's swan. It was beautiful, may too balletic, but in the end there is nothing wrong with either way, balletic or not.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Hmmm, I feel like Kaetlyn was channelling Natalie Portman rather than the Black Swan, could be good or bad depending on your taste...a more contemporary approach?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada