2017 Glacier Falls FSC Summer Classic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Glacier Falls FSC Summer Classic

shmay

On the Ice
Karen's SP was more effective than I'd anticipated. Really digging the placement and length of that Ina Bauer, and I hope they won't shorten it later in the season. That said, the spiral placement is head-scratching and has no musical correlation or logic. Michelle would slap any choreographer that tried to get her to do a spiral at that point in the music.

Interesting to see the 3F in her SP. I guess that means her team is really confident that she won't get an edge call. Looked more or less from an inside edge to me, and perhaps a smart move given how much she loves to pop the loop.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Jason's quad was << from what I saw in the video.

Haven't seen the ladies yet but :dance: for Caroline and Karen! I was hoping for a comeback from Vivian, but its still early in the season.

Sad to see Polina in 8th place, but I do think she has a really strong program. I really hope she gets her form back as the season progresses...

andromache

Record Breaker
Super bummed about Vivian and Polina. Thrilled for Caroline and Karen!! It'd be nice for Caroline to get that Skate America spot.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Re:polina

That's not surprising to me honestly. I half expected to read 1t-1t given her history at this event, time away, etc

When was her last competition anyway?

Polina last competed at 2016 U. S. Championships. The bone bruise was diagnosed in February 2016 (according to wiki).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad to see Polina in 8th place, but I do think she has a really strong program. I really hope she gets her form back as the season progresses...

Despite the mistakes, I think Polina's program is a step in the right direction. I think the powerful music suits her much better than what she has used in the past. Also, I don't know if that was practice-wear or her costume, but it was a big improvement over the ruffles and ribbons!

frida80

Record Breaker
Politiking at full force so soon...

Not really. Two years ago Gracie and Polina scored about the same score for their shorts. Polina scored 72 and Gracie 70. Gracie had a few slight mistakes, but scored way higher in components.

Ender

Match Penalty
Not really. Two years ago Gracie and Polina scored about the same score for their shorts. Polina scored 72 and Gracie 70. Gracie had a few slight mistakes, but scored way higher in components.
I have just watched. Chen did quite well really. If only she could gain consistency...

Karen's SP was more effective than I'd anticipated. Really digging the placement and length of that Ina Bauer, and I hope they won't shorten it later in the season. That said, the spiral placement is head-scratching and has no musical correlation or logic. Michelle would slap any choreographer that tried to get her to do a spiral at that point in the music.

Interesting to see the 3F in her SP. I guess that means her team is really confident that she won't get an edge call. Looked more or less from an inside edge to me, and perhaps a smart move given how much she loves to pop the loop.

That was a super performance.

But I agree that there were some peculiarities in the choreography. I think the IJS is restricting choreographers quite a bit, for instance by its insistence that as many jumps as possible be postponed to the second half. To me, some of the beautiful skating in the middle section was not as effective as it could have been because I was waiting nervously for the jumps.

Still...I am just nit-picking a gem, so go Karen.

And, may I add, go Caroline. :)

I don't know why, but I just love Grant Hochstein's style. If he could nail that quad he would definitely be in the conversation nationally.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I have just watched. Chen did quite well really. If only she could gain consistency...

Same could be said of ALL the American women. They can't be fighting for medals if they keep worrying about hitting their routines because they don't do it often enough in competition. I think Karen's the closest thing we have to a medal threat because she has all of the goods to be competitive. Gold would be up there if not for what she's going through now. Ashley has won a medal, but she needs to improve some of her TES short comings. Mirai, we'll see if she can finally stop with her drama (to be fair most of it was NOT her fault with the boots and stuff) and make it about the skating. With a consistent 3A who knows what Mirai is capable of, but it's exciting.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
That was a super performance.

But I agree that there were some peculiarities in the choreography. I think the IJS is restricting choreographers quite a bit, for instance by its insistence that as many jumps as possible be postponed to the second half. To me, some of the beautiful skating in the middle section was not as effective as it could have been because I was waiting nervously for the jumps.

Still...I am just nit-picking a gem, so go Karen.

And, may I add, go Caroline. :)

I see what you mean. It's only July so I'm sure it'll improve, but that footwork sequence is totally ineffective right now. It should have been choreographed with the faster, more bombastic part at the end and the steps and choreography needs to be a lot more interesting. But with the way IJS scores, you know why it's not. It's still an excellent start to the season. One thing about Karen's spiral is that she does probably have the best spiral in the world right now just because she actually does one and sustains it, but there's something off with the alignment of the hip. It has a broken line. I wish she'd work on that, but I doubt she would because there's no incentive and it's not like anyone else is challenging her on the spiral front.

ETA: Polina's SP is really well-choreographed. Probably my favorite ladies choreography here.