Wierd, Wacky Competitve Moments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wierd, Wacky Competitve Moments

tvcats

Rinkside
Didn't Laurent Tobel once have to endure a fire alarm going off in the middle of his program in one Grand Prix event?

Yes, at 1999 Skate Canada in Saint John, NB. The fire alarm went off during Laurent's LP. He skated on and amazingly enough, the crowd (which included me) sat in our seats. Looking back on it, it was stupid not to follow evacuation procedures. Thank goodness that it was a false alarm.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
tvcats said:
Yes, at 1999 Skate Canada in Saint John, NB. The fire alarm went off during Laurent's LP. He skated on and amazingly enough, the crowd (which included me) sat in our seats. Looking back on it, it was stupid not to follow evacuation procedures. Thank goodness that it was a false alarm.

And to top it off, didn't the alarm actually stop sounding long about the time his music stopped and his program ended?? :laugh: :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Does anyone out there remember the 1973 World Championships in which the tape broke during Irina Rodnina/Alexandr Zaitsev's long program? They had just begun their program to lively Russian music and - ZAP - silence. They continued on with their performance, despite the fact the referee repeatedly blew his whistle and signaled for them to stop. The audience clapped their encouragement, and somehow they completed their program and won their first World pair title. Just a small question, but how did the judges managed to award them artistic impression marks, which supposedly are, at least, given for their performance TO THE MUSIC. :rolleye:

I remember that "wacky" moment and I would classify it more as an amazing moment in figure skating history. It was unreal. Their music quit playing and they kept skating never missing a beat - the judges rewarded them for their fantastic unison and flow - therefore the artistic mark. Also, I remember Irina proudly standing on the podium with tears in her eyes - knowing they had skated their best under extreme circumstances. Classic moment in time.

S

SkateFan4Life

Eeyora said:
Wasn't the boot incident Tonya's third bizzare incident of that season? As I can recall she stopped in the middle of her long program at Skate America because her skate blade was loose. I remember her tightening it on the boards with a scewdriver. Then at another competition Nationals I believe the back of her costume became unhooked.

Tonya Harding had here share of "wacky, wierd" moments on the ice with skate and costume issues. She had the habit of wearing skating dresses that were too small for her, and she popped her shoulder straps more than once.

I can remember a competition (but can't remember the year) when not only the lights went out but also the sound system. A skater took to the ice - after the lights came back on - and the tape machine failed to work. She skated around the ice for more than 10 minutes before the technical problem was corrected.
Fortunately, this incident did not shake her concentration, as she skated a good program, without mistakes.

Sometimes the gremlins are on the loose! :eek:

Spirit

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Sometimes the gremlins are on the loose!

Sorry 'bout that. They get out of their cages sometimes, despite all the locks I buy.

I'll keep them under better control this season. I bought them a TV, so that should keep them entertained.