Favorite Nutcracker Program? | Golden Skate

Favorite Nutcracker Program?

What is your favorite Nutcracker program?

• Ilia Kulik, Waltz of the Flowers

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Shen & Zhao 2004 World Championships

Votes: 52 51.0%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters

anya_angie

Final Flight
Okay, I don't know many skaters who have skated to this, but I thought it would be cool to see everyone's favorites.

Vash01

Medalist
How could you forget two of the best?

Gordeeva-Grinkov- Pro in 92& 93 (technical)
Bechke & Petrov- Olympics 92 LP and pro 92 (technical)

My pick is G&G's Nutcracker, with B&P a close second.

Also Jill Trenary skated to the Candy canes number (I think) in worlds 89 LP.

Vash

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
As much I love Alexei's "Nutrocker"-SP, I've to give this to Shen & Zhao!

I feel the same way. I've never really been all that crazy for the music, but Yagudin made me like it. S&Z made me love it.

Vash01

Medalist
Yagudin's Nutrocker really could not compete with any of the real Nutcracker performances. It was just an SP, and it did not impress me the way his other SP's did. Actually Petrova-Tikhanov skated a pretty good SP to this music (Pas Deux Du...i am not sure of the spelling). I did not like S&Z's Nutcracker that much because I had watched G&G and B&P skate better to that music. Also Viktor Petrenko skated to it in the 'Nutcracker on ice'. I did not care much for Oksana B. and BoitanoI skating a duet to this music. I LOVE the Nutcracker music (all of it) for skating, although I don't consider it to be Tchaikovsky's best.

The list on this poll is very short and S&Z's is the only meaningful performance on the list, so I am not surprised that it received most of the votes.

Summerkid

Rinkside
My Sugar Plum Fairy from when I was 15...my rink has been doing the Nutcracker for 30 years.

I actually was in tears by the end of Shen and Zhao's Pas de Deux. It was amazing. I never saw G&G's so I can't comment.

Jenny Kirk did it a few years ago that wasn't bad. It was a medley though and jumped around a bit.

Last edited:

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Favorite Nutcracker Program

I voted for Shen/Zhao. Their Nutcracker :rock: is pure brilliance and breathtakingly beautiful. They are they best pairs skaters in the world.

diamond :love:

Vash01

Medalist
I am in the minority here. I felt that the Nutcracker music did not suit S&Z because it is a very elegant piece of music, and elegance is not their strength. I loved the Nutcracker programs by G&G and Bechke & Petrov.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
My favourite performance to selections from The Nutcracker was given by Rosalynn Sumners at the 1987 World Professional Championships.

If anyone has a copy of that skate, watch it.
Simply amazing.

"Essence of Soy?" Now that's a cool nickname!

Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long, LOL!

Mathman:)

Tschaikowsky had two things going for him. He had incredible ability to get tunes out of Russian folk music and he had increcdible ability to orchestrate them. His three ballets, in my opinion, were not his best work. Look to his symphonies and concertos for brilliant talent.

I'll go with S&Z but all his tunes should make the skater look good. If any PIT music is used and becomes a dud, then the skater should retire.
JMO
Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
diamondqueen said:
I voted for Shen/Zhao. Their Nutcracker :rock: is pure brilliance and breathtakingly beautiful. They are they best pairs skaters in the world.

diamond :love:

A matter of opinion of course.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Shen and Zhao for me, as well.

However, I wish they would all choose another cut from the Nutcracker than the Pas De Deux between the Prince and the Fairy. I think even Sasha is using that this year.