2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
well, thats not gonna stop me :laugh:
it's kinda hard to find, since it seems like he's not popular at all, but rumors that i have found already are pretty disgusting... not sure if its true though

Send me in PM, please.. I have a suspicion..Adelia wrote something at Plushy fan thread..

russianfan

Match Penalty
Russian men's skating so hopeless that only some dramas can bring it to the life again.
Well there are reasons behind that. Figure skating is mostly not considered as a good option for boys in Russia, some might even say this is purely girlish kind of sport (and I would agree btw). Parents are more likely to send their boys to football/hockey. Even Plushenko said that he has like 90% - girls, and only 10% - boys.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am really sick and tired of reading all these comments about the "hopeless" men. Why bother coming into a thread just to post such drivel (and not for the first time)? I rarely look at these threads because they are dominated the same small handful of posters posting the same garbage relentlessly. Erokhov and Aliev are hopeless? Please...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There are only 3 pages against 111 pages for Russian ladies?

Yes, because the men are all "hopeless," you see. And those of us who actually do like some of the Russian men may be turned off from reading or posting in such a thread because you have to wade through so many stupid, unconstructive comments and off-topic gossip to have an actual conversation.

I admit that I am not a fan of all the men, but I would never say any of them are hopeless. A lot of them are just late bloomers. There are never going to be hundreds or thousands of aspiring talented men in Russian skating like there are for the ladies. But come on. They still dominate the JGP. If the up-and-coming Russian men are hopeless, then you're going to be really disappointed by the men from the rest of the world.

Sam L

Medalist
Yes, because the men are all "hopeless," you see. And those of us who actually do like some of the Russian men may be turned off from reading or posting in such a thread because you have to wade through so many stupid, unconstructive comments and off-topic gossip to have an actual conversation.

I admit that I am not a fan of all the men, but I would never say any of them are hopeless. A lot of them are just late bloomers. There are never going to be hundreds or thousands of aspiring talented men in Russian skating like there are for the ladies. But come on. They still dominate the JGP. If the up-and-coming Russian men are hopeless, then you're going to be really disappointed by the men from the rest of the world.

All men are late bloomers. :laugh: I like Roman Savosin.

s_parks

Record Breaker
"Russian men are hopeless" is hilarious. Aliev is definitely promising(hope his injury is nothing serious!), and just look at the current junior field- I mean, the really young guys like Skirda, Kovalev, and Kunitsa haven't even gotten an assignment, and former two posted really good scores last season.

LRK

Record Breaker
The men are hopeless. The pairs are doomed. The ice dancers... well, I haven't been in that thread lately as I don't watch ice dance, but when morbid curiosity brings me there, the ice dancers are generally hopelessly doomed. It's just all vexation and misery of spirit all around - except for the ladies, naturally.

Woe, woe, thrice woe!

;)

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Should this thread be changed to "The Russian Men's Fan Fest"?

If some skater, who has not yet made appearance on any senior stages, delared to the press that he would not fear the possible competitions against Yuzuru at 2018 Olympics on condition that he made the team, what do you say to that? Ambitious? Pretentious? Or simply stupid?

To be honest, only a small handful of skaters, men or ladies, are worth watching/discussing now. There is nothing wrong with expressing one's points here!

viennaskater

Medalist
I said it before in the Nepela Trophy thread and I say it again: I really detest the way Voronov is being ignored. Not just by the Fed, but because of their attitude towards him other people (experts, judges, spectators) often seem to follow suit. He's inconsistent, yes, but so is the rest of them with Dima Aliev the least inconsistent one. Sergei certainly should be given more of a chance.
I do like them all and they all have great potential. Don't know why they can't unleash it. Maybe they need to adopt different training methods or change their attitude to training. I totally loved Mikhail's SP the past two seasons, but something is missing about him. He's not the full package, hasn't got the personality on the ice that comes with great skaters.
However, I do like what I see in the junior ranks! I'm sure there will be at least one great Russian male skater in the near future. :agree2:

I am with you on this, LadyB, about Voronov! Konstantin Menshov was also treated similarly. It seems just because they are old, they get pushed aside. I remember them winning second and third places in the 2014 Europeans and what happened afterwards? Plushenko got sent to the Olympics and bowed out after getting his team gold medal, leaving a spot which someone could have taken. Even then, it would have gone to Maxim Kovtun, whom I have never reckoned, but he's been 'marketed' by an influential team. Still, it would have been better to have Kovtun than nobody.

About other younger skaters - I recall in the last few seasons some very promising performances from Alexander Petrov, Adian Piktkeev and Gordei Goschkov. What happened to them all? Russia have been trying for years to come up with another Plushenko and it's not happening.

In the past there was always a Russian guy in the medals, why not any more, when the ladies event is flooded with young talent. Not saying the Russian girls are my favourites, but they are strong.

As for Mikail Kolyada, I am a huge fan, but something isn't working for him right now.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I am with you on this, LadyB, about Voronov! Konstantin Menshov was also treated similarly. It seems just because they are old, they get pushed aside. I remember them winning second and third places in the 2014 Europeans and what happened afterwards? Plushenko got sent to the Olympics and bowed out after getting his team gold medal, leaving a spot which someone could have taken. Even then, it would have gone to Maxim Kovtun, whom I have never reckoned, but he's been 'marketed' by an influential team. Still, it would have been better to have Kovtun than nobody.

About other younger skaters - I recall in the last few seasons some very promising performances from Alexander Petrov, Adian Piktkeev and Gordei Goschkov. What happened to them all? Russia have been trying for years to come up with another Plushenko and it's not happening.

In the past there was always a Russian guy in the medals, why not any more, when the ladies event is flooded with young talent. Not saying the Russian girls are my favourites, but they are strong.

As for Mikail Kolyada, I am a huge fan, but something isn't working for him right now.

Plushenko was the right choice to send to Sochi. The team gold was the most important for the Ruse Fed. After the competition everybody can be smart. But the decision was made before the OG. You can't say Kovtun or Voronov are very stabil skaters. And what an outrageous thing Plushenko got injured before the SP. Really..

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

You're right about Menshov and Voronov although it's not just about RusFed, judges in general never gave them the high marks.

Voronov worked really hard with Eteri going into Euro 2014 and then the 2014-15 season, but judges always pushed him aside at the first mistake. What he has achieved was a result of consistency when the others failed.

It's an Anna Pogorilaya situation.

While Kolyada still has a chance because he's super inconsistent but when he skates clean or even cleanish performances, judges reward him for his flawless technique and his good artistry. We'll see Aliev, Samarin so far not great results in seniors.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Should this thread be changed to "The Russian Men's Fan Fest"?

If some skater, who has not yet made appearance on any senior stages, delared to the press that he would not fear the possible competitions against Yuzuru at 2018 Olympics on condition that he made the team, what do you say to that? Ambitious? Pretentious? Or simply stupid?

To be honest, only a small handful of skaters, men or ladies, are worth watching/discussing now. There is nothing wrong with expressing one's points here!

"Worth watching/discussing" is entirely subjective. If you don't want to discuss them then why come here and comment at all? Why can't we talk about all of the promising young men instead of being dismissive, while any 13-year-old Russian girl with promise gets fawned over. And I don't understand what Yuzuru has to do with anything here. There is only one Yuzuru. If a skater's worth is only measured in how similar they are to Yuzuru, then 99% of all male skaters will fail the test. And the same goes for Plushenko. There can never be another Plushenko, his time has come and gone.

Do you only care about a skater if they are winning everything right and left? I don't. I care about skaters who are talented (in my subjective opinion, of course) and trying their best. Gracie hasn't won a thing in two years but enough people seem to care about her that she constantly gets new threads devoted to her. And god forbid if anyone says one negative word against her. I know you are a Liza fan - do you think she is worthless now that she is not at her peak and will probably not make it to the Olys?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
generally 100% agree with silverfoxes:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Ppl that come to the thread with 'everything is doomed' comments are :rolleye:
If its 100% doomed what's to discuss then?

do you think she is worthless now that she is not at her peak and will probably not make it to the Olys?
shshshsh!
nothing is lost yet!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
generally 100% agree with silverfoxes:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Ppl that come to the thread with 'everything is doomed' comments are :rolleye:
If its 100% doomed what's to discuss then?

shshshsh!
nothing is lost yet!!

You're right, there is always a chance. And maybe I'll get my dream team of Dima and Sergei for the men too :)

viennaskater

Medalist

Actually, my bad - I just noticed that Petrov is entered for the Finlandia Trophy. Good for him!

nimi

Medalist
The men are hopeless. The pairs are doomed. The ice dancers... well, I haven't been in that thread lately as I don't watch ice dance, but when morbid curiosity brings me there, the ice dancers are generally hopelessly doomed. It's just all vexation and misery of spirit all around - except for the ladies, naturally.

Woe, woe, thrice woe!

;)
If I become a GS supporter I get access to archived threads, right? It would be interesting to look at these kind of discussions circa Vancouver when the ladies were represented by Leonova and Makarova, the top 2 Russian ice dance teams had the male partner crippled by a knee injury (and DomShab had that OD), no Russian pairs were on the podium and Trankov dumped Mukhortova. My guess: There was a lot of "if/when Plushenko retires, no Russian skaters/teams will be at the Oly podium EVER AGAIN!!!! At least not in Sochi, no way!!!!!! SHAME!!!!! All is lost!!!! DOOOOOOM!!!! etc." :biggrin:

As far as the current senior men go, I've never been a fan of Kolyada and his programs but I think that he has the potential to score very, very, very well with his programs and his 4Lz this season. We'll see whether he'll be able to actualize that potential, but I wouldn't count him out.

LRK

Record Breaker
Actually, my bad - I just noticed that Petrov is entered for the Finlandia Trophy. Good for him!

As a Petrov fan I want to warn you though - if you haven't seen his SP this year it is... well... terrible. The music cuts/choices are mindboggling, incomprehensible and unlistenable. I think the only people in the world who could possibly like it must be located at Team Mishin and the Rus fed, unfortunately. Just so you are warned...

ETA - To elucidate: I meant, that I, as a Petrov fan myself &c.

ETA2 - Just to clarify for the general purposes of this thread. I don't think Sasha is hopeless - if I did, I'd not be a fan, nor would I be upset that he's been lumped with this SP. The SP, however, IS hopeless, and I just wish Team Mishin could be convinced of this and ditch it ASAP!

nimi

Medalist
I, too, like Petrov as a skater and think his programs are :scratch2:

My fantasy: have Misha Ge choreograph for Petrov