2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating

tars

Record Breaker
I don't care about men's skating at all, but that lutz from Kolyada was something else, out of this world we're living in.
Masterpiece of human physical excellence. :shocked:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think it really dependes only on him. Even a second place would put them in contention, but winning would seal the deal. I have not much confidence in him delivering, especially because he doesn't like to compete so late, but who knows how the guys are going to skate tomorrow.

A performance like his FS at WTT could be enough to win here, so technically he can win this considering also the high bv of his program.

I'm lowering my expectations because i know he's not the most consistent skater in the world, and the way they saved Javi makes me believe that he is still in the conversation.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't care about men's skating at all, but that lutz from Kolyada was something else, out of this world we're living in.
Masterpiece of human physical excellence. :shocked:

yes, the best 4Lz what I have ever seen..

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think it really dependes only on him. Even a second place would put them in contention, but winning would seal the deal. I have not much confidence in him delivering, especially because he doesn't like to compete so late, but who knows how the guys are going to skate tomorrow.
He'll have to get to like it. You can't simultaneously be successful and not have to deal with the pressure of being the leader. I think he learned that last season about being the Russian Champion. Now it's time to extend it to bigger things.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Is Kovtun recovered after the injuries?
According to him, yes, and he is planning to skate at SA. But he seems to be concentrating on anything except training at the moment. With Aliev and Samarin hungry for that Olympic spot he should really take things more seriously.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
3 medals at 3 GP events, Kolyada qualified for GPF, Erokhov and Ignatov for JGPF.

The state of russian men's skating is looking good after all.

According to him, yes, and he is planning to skate at SA. But he seems to be concentrating on anything except training at the moment. With Aliev and Samarin hungry for that Olympic spot he should really take things more seriously.

Considering how RusFed was pissed last season at WTT that Russia didn't won because of Kovtun i'm not expecting huge gifts for him at Nationals.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Considering how RusFed was pissed last season at WTT that Russia didn't won because of Kovtun i'm not expecting huge gifts for him at Nationals.
I hope this isn't Maxim deciding he's had enough figure skating and internally giving up.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So Sergei just won NHK. Huge congrats! :clap: There are already two Russian Men who won GP event this season, I'll say not bad :cool:

I am little sad that Dmitri has not deliverd at either of his event tough, was hoping he'll get the Olympic spot...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dima unfortunately lost ground because of his injury. It is what it is. He wanted to compete & didn't want to water down his content...but he has some time now to rest and get back in form.

Sergei showed how a real Russian champion should skate, no falls or pops, maybe not the most transitions or tech content but you have to respect him for reaching new heights at 30. And he deserves that Olys spot.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Sergei showed how a real Russian champion should skate, no falls or pops, maybe not the most transitions or tech content but you have to respect him for reaching new heights at 30. And he deserves that Olys spot.

Sergei was awesome - you just don't need to belittle other skaters while praising him. :agree:

We should be really celebrating. It's awesome that another Russian man is rising to the challenge, and two GP golds for the Russian men doesn't happen every year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Dima unfortunately lost ground because of his injury. It is what it is. He wanted to compete & didn't want to water down his content...but he has some time now to rest and get back in form.

I hope Dima will recover soon then. He's definitely my favourite from recently-turned-senior male skaters. I don't want him to be like my other favourites who just can't live up to their potential, it's too heartbreaking.

Pretty sure that if Sergei skates like he did in Japan at Russian Nationals, he will get spot. He's definitely shown he's got it all to be competetive.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I hope Dima will recover soon then. He's definitely my favourite from recently-turned-senior male skaters. I don't want him to be like my other favourites who just can't live up to their potential, it's too heartbreaking.

Pretty sure that if Sergei skates like he did in Japan at Russian Nationals, he will get spot. He's definitely shown he's got it all to be competetive.
Sergei will get a spot at Euros. He'll have to skate well there too before a final decision on the Olympic spots is made. Aliev's job #1 right now is to do well enough at Nationals to get a spot at Euros as well.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Was there anybody out there who actually thought even for a fleeting second, at the beginning of the season, that the Russian men would win not one but two gold medals on the GP circuit? It's like we've entered some parallel universe :laugh:

Interesting facts:
The last time the Russian men won two gold medals on the GP circuit was the 2014-15 season when Maxim Kovtun won in China and France.
The last time two different Russian men won gold medals was all the way back to the 2002-03 season when Evgeni won in Russia and Ilia Klimkin in Japan.

They were handed opportunity on a silver platter and took them. Well done men! :yahoo:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Was there anybody out there who actually thought even for a fleeting second, at the beginning of the season, that the Russian men would win not one but two gold medals on the GP circuit? It's like we've entered some parallel universe :laugh:

Interesting facts:
The last time the Russian men won two gold medals on the GP circuit was the 2014-15 season when Maxim Kovtun won in China and France.
The last time two different Russian men won gold medals was all the way back to the 2002-03 season when Evgeni won in Russia and Ilia Klimkin in Japan.

They were handed opportunity on a silver platter and took them. Well done men! :yahoo:
Now it’s a golden platter!! All of a sudden Russia is like Japan or something!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Lets start a prayer circle for Sergei!:pray::eek::
& send good vibes into the Universe:agree::thumbsup:

:ghug::ghug::ghug::ghug::ghug::ghug:

russianfan

Match Penalty
i was recently watching Sergey's FS and... every time i hear this music now, i get strong Tarakanova's vibes :biggrin:

Lana05

Final Flight
Santa Claus Cup
Senior Men
Konstantin Milyukov 78.66 1 after SP

Junior Grand Prix Final
Alexey Erokhov 78.39 2
Makar Ignatov 75.78 4

Grand Prix Final
Mikhail Kolyada 99.22 3
Sergey Voronov 87.77 5

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, I think Sergei proved he's capable of repeatedly good results in international competiitons and he should be send to Olympics. I don't see any other Russian Men being this consistent lately.