2017-18 Injuries & Other Ills | Golden Skate

2017-18 Injuries & Other Ills

LRK

Record Breaker
As every year, here is the dedicated injuries & other ills thread. It's a place to share news about injuries, yes - but also recoveries or rehabilitation, articles on the subject, interviews where injuries are touched upon or prevention of injuries &c. Also, I'll try to "collect" links to relevant threads pertaining to the topic, but, alas, I'm very disorganised, so this may be rather haphazard.

Also to ask for information about skaters - we've got a very knowledgeable & international membership here on GS, so it's possible someone here may know, so don't hesitate to ask! - or simply wish skaters well.

The topic may be considered a dismal one, but this is meant to be a positive thread - let's celebrate the skaters, and acknowledge the hardships they go through, to bring us many a moment of beauty & thrill.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Kayne & O'Shea have WD from Cup of China, to concentrate on training. They already have been replaced by Cain & LeDuc.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As much as I understand the need for this thread it is probably my least favourite thread of all time. I hope all the skaters are healthy as they can be. I hope none of the top contenders get injured before they can live out their Olympic dreams.

I dread seeing new posts in this thread knowing what it could mean.

LRK

Record Breaker
As much as I understand the need for this thread it is probably my least favourite thread of all time. I hope all the skaters are healthy as they can be. I hope none of the top contenders get injured before they can live out their Olympic dreams.

I dread seeing new posts in this thread knowing what it could mean.

Skaters get injured whether this thread exists or no.

nimi

Medalist
Denis Ten is dealing with an injury... again. This time it's his right ankle. :(

thread

from ISU article:
By now my ankle has become significantly stronger following intense rehab. I cannot jump using the right leg, but I can already do careful landings.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you! He still hopes to compete at Rostelecom - I hope his recovery goes according to expectation, and that his season is not too much affected by it. Get well soon, Denis!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sounds awful, wishing him a speedy recovery. :no:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In English, it's called a collapsed lung. It can be minor and easily fixed or more serious.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article on Chafik is very interesting. The headline says "pneumothorax", which as has been pointed out, just means collapsed lung. Spousal unit had a collapsed lung in his late twenties ( 40 years ago:biggrin:). All they did was stick in a needle, take out the air surrounding the lung, and send him home. The only reminder was a band aid for the needle prick. (The symptoms, on the other hand, as in blue fingers and inability to breathe, were not simple....)

Chafik is obviously facing complications way beyond a simple pneumothorax. A "décollement de la plèvre" that requires oxygen and surgery? And might keep him out of a comp over a month from now?:eeking:

My best to Chafik for a full recovery!