2017-18 Injuries & Other Ills | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-18 Injuries & Other Ills

bookworm94

Rinkside
The article on Chafik is very interesting. The headline says "pneumothorax", which as has been pointed out, just means collapsed lung. Spousal unit had a collapsed lung in his late twenties ( 40 years ago:biggrin:). All they did was stick in a needle, take out the air surrounding the lung, and send him home. The only reminder was a band aid for the needle prick. (The symptoms, on the other hand, as in blue fingers and inability to breathe, were not simple....)

Chafik is obviously facing complications way beyond a simple pneumothorax. A "décollement de la plèvre" that requires oxygen and surgery? And might keep him out of a comp over a month from now?:eeking:

My best to Chafik for a full recovery!

The size of the part that of the lung that collapses is what matters. When it is very small, the needle trick might do it, but if its a larger part you need a pleural/thoracic drainage to help the lung expanding again. But that doesn't mean there is some sort of a complication. His treatment seems adaequate and I am sure he can fully recover :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Chafik. Sounds horrible.

I am wondering about Klimov - is he really recovered. I am not convinced that he is 100 percent. And while I would like to say it was just a bad skate or skates - S and K had trouble with the twist and lifts in particular. Or is it lack of training due to the injury. I just am not convinced there is enough time for them to get ready for the olympics. I think they are a season behind and they would have added a quad throw and the triple triple would be solid. I think they are going to be out of time to catch the Germans and China sadly.

nimi

Medalist
I am wondering about Klimov - is he really recovered. I am not convinced that he is 100 percent. And while I would like to say it was just a bad skate or skates - S and K had trouble with the twist and lifts in particular. Or is it lack of training due to the injury. I just am not convinced there is enough time for them to get ready for the olympics. I think they are a season behind and they would have added a quad throw and the triple triple would be solid. I think they are going to be out of time to catch the Germans and China sadly.
Yeah, they told us they lost training time due to Fedor's abdominal surgery and have been allowed (per doctors' orders) to return to normal training in early September (said Mozer). They started doing 3Tw -- never their strong point -- only 3 weeks ago (said Ksenia; translation here). So why did you expect them/him to show up and be "100 percent" this early? :scratch2:

Btw, Ksenia also said the mistake on the first lift was hers.

They've got 4 months til Olys. Time will tell whether they'll be able to catch up with the frontrunners.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never thought their 3twist was that bad but that is just me. I think though even they get back to their 2014 shape they won't be better ie add a throw quad in time.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Keiji's injury was due to a fall during practice. In the news it is reported that the injury will take 3 weeks to heal. Hopefully he can make it to his next GP assignment (COC).

:( The newspaper article in Japanese says he's injured "腸腰筋" on his right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliopsoas
Let's wish he gets well fully and can resume his trainings in time for the Nats.

nimi

Medalist
:( The newspaper article in Japanese says he's injured "腸腰筋" on his right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliopsoas
Let's wish he gets well fully and can resume his trainings in time for the Nats.
Here's a short article in English:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2017/10/c0348b07a555-figure-skating-tanaka-injures-pelvic-muscle-to-miss-rostelecom-cup.html
According to officials, the 22-year-old Tanaka sustained the injury after falling on the ice in a jump attempt during practice before an international event late last month. He continued light training but was not able to regain competitive form.

"I will focus on healing and hope to recover in time for the Cup of China," he said of the Nov. 3-4 competition in Beijing, the third of six events in the series.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, deedee1 & nimi!

Hoping that his recovery goes to plan, and that his season is not too derailed by this. Get well soon, Keiji!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Ouch. Thanks for the article, nimi. I wonder if the event they meant was the Nepela trophy. Sad to imagine I might have seen that happen right before my eyes and never knew, being one of the few still hanging around for the men's practices. That would explain the falls in the FS the other day, though... My heartfelt wishes to get well go to not only Tanaka, but Kim, Park, Wang/Wang, Gracie and all the other skaters currently suffering from health issues. May you all get well quickly, and may your season go the way you wish it to. :pray:

nimi

Medalist
I wonder if the event they meant was the Nepela trophy. Sad to imagine I might have seen that happen right before my eyes and never knew, being one of the few still hanging around for the men's practices. That would explain the falls in the FS the other day, though...
I think so. I remember watching the Nepela men's event via stream and thinking that was a rough skate (even for a comp that was a bit of a splatfest overall) when Keiji was doing his FS. :(

Good thing he's taking the time to heal properly (I hope). :pray:

nimi

Medalist
From the GP selections thread:

Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR are out also from France. Grill not updated yet but Czech Fed says she needs a surgery (broken knee ligament) and they will also skip Europeans.
:(

ETA: From the czechskating news article via google translate:
Anna wounded in warm-up before training and unfortunately the injury was more serious than just a rash. Anna Dušková will have to undergo a broken knee ligament surgery and we have to cancel our participation in Grand Prix competitions. There is no start to the January European Championship. But coach Horkl and the couple will try to co-operate with physicians and physiotherapists so they can introduce themselves at the Winter Olympics in Pjongchang (Korea).

We would also like to thank the Czech Olympic Committee thanks to the Health Insurance Program of the Czech Republic for a quick solution to the situation and, thanks to a series of examinations and an early term of the operation, it is possible to prevent an even greater training and competitive breakdown of the couple.

We hold our hands for surgery and subsequent rehabilitation to take place without any problems, and Anna and Martin can fulfill their Olympic dream!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear that. Get well soon, Anna, I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

LRK

Record Breaker

nimi

Medalist
Chafik Besseghier is in hospital.
He suffers from a respiratory disease, Chafik has a detachment of pleura.
His participation in Skate Canada is uncertain.

http://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2017/10/03/besseghier-le-coup-dur
Now Chafik has been taken off the Internationaux de France entries list, as well (no replacement ATM). Has anybody heard anything about how he's doing? I hope he's okay...

As far as Yuzuru's injury status goes, his fan thread has links & translations of Japanese sources. Here's one:
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/929573721806737410

Yuzuru's comment

"Thank you for your continuous support. I'm sorry to have worried you all this time. The doctor told me to have absolute rest for ten days. Although I'm expected to be fully recovered in 3 to 4 weeks after that, it is just a plan. I will make efforts to heal and rehabilitate to somehow make it in time for Japanese nationals. I will do my best to be able to perform well in Japanese nationals, and I would appreciate your consideration so that I can concentrate on rehabilitation and practice."